Author Topic: Southeast Missouri Feakin PUNISHER Build! 20R/22R Hybrid Engine!!  (Read 88935 times)

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile

that piece of rubber inbetween the frame and crossmember is to try and absorb some vibrations.
Does it really work?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
im sure it does something, but it hardly does anything. eventually im going to cut down my bud built and make it so it mounts onto motor mounts on the inside of the frame rails, the same way the engine does. with the mounts slanted the same the way the engine mounts are set up. 1 mount on each side of the frame for each side of the crossmember.  that way there wont be any vibrations and i can still use the solid mount i made, and the budbuilt will mount with typical toyota motor mounts. the engine and tranny/tcase would be held to the frame with 4 motor mounts total, i think that would be kinda cool.
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
im sure it does something, but it hardly does anything. eventually im going to cut down my bud built and make it so it mounts onto motor mounts on the inside of the frame rails, the same way the engine does. with the mounts slanted the same the way the engine mounts are set up. 1 mount on each side of the frame for each side of the crossmember.  that way there wont be any vibrations and i can still use the solid mount i made, and the budbuilt will mount with typical toyota motor mounts. the engine and tranny/tcase would be held to the frame with 4 motor mounts total, i think that would be kinda cool.
you need one of these
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38278.msg462531#msg462531
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
thats a pretty good idea. my problem is that i have the rotated adpater so my rear transfercase mount is all sideways.

ok enough of the thread jacking :outtahere:

82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
I think I fould a 5.29 third...  Wish this freezing rain would stop so I can finish up the front bumper
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
As a man with 4.7 rear in duals and all of one outing (  :rofl2:  ) I'll offer you my web-wheeling and partially-tested opinion, no charge  :gap:

4.7s would be your cheaper option. No d-shaft changes, no crossmember change, no shifter hole cutting...

However, you'd be stuck with going 21 spline. Not a big deal, but if you bite the bullet and get the doubler, you could get 21 spline and upgrade to 23 spline 4.7s later and buy the coupler (like 100 bucks or so, I think)

It's a toss up. Either way is a good thing. Do you want to do work now or later when you get around to doing duals? All up to you.

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Well, I got a 5.29 third for the rear, just need to find one for the front now. 

I also just added a Flexalite Black Magic electric fan, that I took off my daily driver that I sold... 
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2009, 02:02:44 PM by DeMented Toys »
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
The Punisher Yota hasn't gotten much attention since I got a 99 4Runner to play with http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58457.msg721060
And I'm going to the Seattle area for the summer so...  :dunno:

As soon as I get time I'm going to install the 5.29 thirds, an auxilary fuse box, hook up my cb and rebuild the front bumper.  And as soon as I find a 20R head I'm rebuilding the engine  :eyebrow:
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Those are big plans. I figured you were busy at the mall with that new runner. Will you be around any this summer? I was hoping you would come down and wheel with me sometime.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Those are big plans. I figured you were busy at the mall with that new runner. Will you be around any this summer? I was hoping you would come down and wheel with me sometime.
Im going to be in the Seattle area until the end of August.  After that we should definately get together.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
That would be cool, lest figure something out. You had better bring the New little lady with you so I can congratulate her in person. You need to come down and check out my new place I like showing it off, espically the shop. 8)

my favorite places:

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
That would be cool, lest figure something out. You had better bring the New little lady with you so I can congratulate her in person. You need to come down and check out my new place I like showing it off, espically the shop. 8)
Sounds like a plan!  New shop...  hmmmm   :D
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
What the heck is the deal with this gear pattern???
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
pinion is too far away from the ring gear, meaning you need more shims under the pinion bearing
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
pinion is too far away from the ring gear, meaning you need more shims under the pinion bearing
That is what I was thinking!  It is way too shallow I think.  But I've never messed with ring and pinion before now and this third was SUOPPOSED to be set up when I bought it!!  AHHHHH!!!
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
post a pic of the pinion so i can see what you have for shims now

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
post a pic of the pinion so i can see what you have for shims now

Uh, it is all put together...
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Okay, I checked the COAST side and the pattern is better...  It actually looks decent.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Jeff, dont run that like that

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Here is the coast side...
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
oh man,  the gear will break the tops of the teeth off

you really have GOT to shim the pinion,  all you have to do is pull the carrier off,  take the pinion out and carry the pinion to a shop and let them press off the bearing, then put about .030 more shim and put it back together

whats the back lash at??  without the pinion moving how much does the ring gear move

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
oh man,  the gear will break the tops of the teeth off

you really have GOT to shim the pinion,  all you have to do is pull the carrier off,  take the pinion out and carry the pinion to a shop and let them press off the bearing, then put about .030 more shim and put it back together

whats the back lash at??  without the pinion moving how much does the ring gear move

I don't have anything to measure to with, but it has some play... 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I don't have anything to measure to with, but it has some play... 
how much play??   enough to fit the tip of a pocket knife in or enough to fit a finger in??

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
how much play??   enough to fit the tip of a pocket knife in or enough to fit a finger in??
Looks like about about 1mm measured at the pinion flange.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
no, hold the pinion and rock the ring gear, measure at the ring gear

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Okay, I get about .5 millimeter or less
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
I have a press and a little, verry little know how. If ya want some help come on down and see me.

my favorite places:

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
I have a press and a little, verry little know how. If ya want some help come on down and see me.
I thought you would never ask!    :rofl2: I'll bring it with me when I bring that front axle down.  Maybe we can fix it, or at least improve it enough to run it.

Need any more parts that I may have here?
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
So the 5.29 third I bought from ga-toy is NOT set up right and has more miles than it was supposed to have had on it.   :maddest: 

So my truck is sitting here without a third until I can either salvage this one or find a set of gears...   :headscratch:
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-