Author Topic: Southeast Missouri Feakin PUNISHER Build! 20R/22R Hybrid Engine!!  (Read 87851 times)

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
 :willynilly:
Okay, I took the angled shims out from under the springs and it fixed the clearance problem...  Didn't help the pinion angle any, but it works.  Eveything is bolted down, again...  Tonight I started rebuilding the hubs...   :yupyup:  I just need to do a home alignment, finish the hubs and put them on, then figure out how to fix the stripped out brake caliper bolt!
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Pulled the hubs apart and cleaned the old dirty grease out.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Cleaned them up with a wire brush and taped them to paint.  I should have gone ahead and powdercoated them, I'm sure the paint won't last long..  But they sure do look purdy!  :gap:
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2009, 01:58:45 PM by DeMented Toys »
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
 :woohoo:
Just got back from a test drive.  The steering feels alot different.  I guess it is supposed to feel alot easier to turn...  I think I still have a little air in there though. 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
:woohoo:
Just got back from a test drive. 

I know how you feel. You got much work left?
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
I guess I better fix that stripped out caliper bolt before I do any more "test driving"   :headscratch:

I know how you feel. You got much work left?
On the axle swap / hysteer install, all I have left that I know of is to fix this bolt and recheck my alignment. 

Then I'm going to cut the back fenderwells out more and cut off the front bumper and rebuild it and maybe even fix the front fender that got ripped loose.  Then I'm going to wheel it unil I break something  :driving: and then 5.29s
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Then I'm going to wheel it unil I break something  :driving: and then 5.29s

Sounds like a plan  :thumbs:

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
I ended up tapping the caliper bolt hole to 1/2" fine thread and putting a grade 8 bolt in with lots of blue loctite.  I made sure not to over torque it, with the loctite it should stay in there. 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Made some stickers..
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
I got a bigger brake booster and a heater fan switch today, thanks Glen!   :biggthumpup:

So I'll be swapping the booster and hopefully rebuilding a 1" bore master clinder that I have ASAP
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Merry Christmas!!!

Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Coming a long way from what it was!!!

Those stickers are pretty cool!  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Coming a long way from what it was!!!

Those stickers are pretty cool!  :thumbs:
Hey the stickers were inspired by the painted on TOYOTA emblems on your fenders!
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Did some more fender trimming today!   :yupyup: I was going to go play and test the new mods this week but we got some snow and ice so I may wait until it thaws out...
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jul '08
  • When in doubt Romp it out
    • View Profile
i wish i could actually play in the snow

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Oh and I got MARRIED on Friday too...   :woohoo:
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jul '08
  • When in doubt Romp it out
    • View Profile

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
wow, she's CUTE

Prissy thinks Max  is cute too :rofl:

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
So now...  I need to figure out gearing down...  I've been reading about the 4.70 Transfer Case Gear Kits   :dunno:  This only gears down 4 low through the transfer case or what?  I still want to be able to drive this rig to and from the trails, Since I don't have a trailer or truck to pull it.  And since I'm working o a budget I only have so much to spend at a time...

The question is...  Should I go with the 4.7 Transfer Case Gear Kit?  Or since I have an extra stock transfer sitting here should I buy the dual case adapter?  Which would still allow me to cruise at highway speeds?  Which would give me lower crawling speed?
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
I know others would be bale to answer this better then I, but I'll tell you what I can and someone else can fill in the blanks.

Both will let you drive on the street fine. with duels you will have more options as far as gearing goes (1 case in Hi 1 in low, both in low etc). with just the 4.7 you will have the same high range, but your low will be crazy low.

You have a few options, get the adapter and run duels with stock gears, or if you will get some more $ not far down the road, get the 4.7 now. Gear the extra case and swap it with the 1 in your truck to reduce down time of the truck. Then when you have the extra $ get the adapter, cross member, and do the drive shaft work to go duels.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Jeff, both choices keep the same highway gearing

if you have the 4.7 and get in mud  you'll find yourself in 3rd or 4th gear, not a bad thing i guess, but i love my dual cases
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Just remember when you go duels, you will need to shorten and lengthen your drive shafts respectively, and will most likely need to get a new cross member, I dont know if the stock 1 would work or not.

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
You have a few options, get the adapter and run duels with stock gears, or if you will get some more $ not far down the road, get the 4.7 now. Gear the extra case and swap it with the 1 in your truck to reduce down time of the truck. Then when you have the extra $ get the adapter, cross member, and do the drive shaft work to go duels.
Thats kinda what I was thinking...  Or since I already have the other case...  I don't know...
if you have the 4.7 and get in mud  you'll find yourself in 3rd or 4th gear, not a bad thing i guess, but i love my dual cases
That is a good point too.  We seem to have more mud than rocks around here...  But I could always use 4 hi for mud wheelin...  hmm... 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
I probably will go ahead and gear down the diffs, just researching other options.  I can pretty much either regear the diffs, or get the dual case adapter, or gear down the extra case I have and swap it...  I think the 4.7 gear swap would be the cheapest now... 

Im probably going to just gear down the diffs for now
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Just remember when you go duels, you will need to shorten and lengthen your drive shafts respectively, and will most likely need to get a new cross member, I dont know if the stock 1 would work or not.
ive been running mine with old spring u bolts over the frame, works great,

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
ive been running mine with old spring u bolts over the frame, works great,
Got any pictures?
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
heres how mine ended up after i installed my dual cases.

that crossmember is from www.budbuilt.com  its designed to mount in the stock location (which you can see on the left side of that picture) or you can slide it back on the frame and bolt it up with stock rear toyota u bolts that you probably have laying around.
that piece of rubber inbetween the frame and crossmember is to try and absorb some vibrations. my only problem with my dual cases is that i bought the marlin crawler rotated dual case adapter, so the rear transfercase is rotated 10 degrees, making it impossible to use the factory rubber transfercase mount. i made a steel mount for the rotated tcase and welded it to the crossmember. its super solid and eliminated ALL of my drivetrain movement, but it makes the truck vibrate a lot.  the cab resonates all the vibrations and makes my truck a real noisy ride.

oh and get dual cases rather than 4.7s.  you will LOVE having all the gear options of 2 transfercases, its like, the best.

sweet truck by the way, frankenyotas have so much character  :biggthumpup:
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
oh and you will have to make one of these when you install dual cases

and shorten your rear shaft

and mess with your shifters

its fun though! :beerchug:
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

Johnny5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i love my dualcases so many options. my bro has the 4.7 to 1 and its good to but 4lo and reverse just aren't goood in mud espescially with 4.10 and 36 swampers