Author Topic: stupid truck wont start!! help  (Read 3226 times)

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
stupid truck wont start!! help
« on: Oct 18, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »
 :smack:got my engine back to gether and the exhaust done.  spen 300 on the exhaust.  and the dam thing wont start.  i got the timing right  and i turn it over and if i push on the gas over and over to the florr it stays in a rough idle, but if i take my foot of the gas it dies.  it is a 22rte from 86 in a 22re 85 4runner. im using trhe 85 body harnes ie the afm plug and the igniighter plug. and im using the 86 22rte engine harness injectors and o2 sensor.  both harnesses had o2 sensor plugs. im wondering if i need the 86 body harness.  i found one in chico/orivile but i have to drive to go get it.  and that is like 4 hours each way.  anyone have some advice?

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
Re: stupid truck wont start!! help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2007, 08:57:58 PM »
grounds all good?

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:01:17 AM »
im preaty sure. But ill check them there are3 right

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:07:41 AM »
grounds are most likely good from what i saw. timing was way off to begin with, but i got it close enough to kinda run, if rob feathered the throttle.
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2007, 12:47:54 PM »
You did not say what computer you are using?

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2007, 12:56:11 PM »
he is using an rte afm, and an rte computer, but an re body harness and rte engine harness
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2007, 05:01:15 PM »
Is it throwing any codes?  That would be my first place to check!  Fuel psi? 

The body harness shouldn't matter!  I'm reusing the same RTE harness for my RE, since there is no difference!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:04:38 PM »
i replaced one of the long fuel lines ill cheack that when i get back.  maybe the fuel preasure regulator
 cheese maker.****   did you end up with 2 o2 sensor plugs?  i found a harnewss in oroville but im not sure i want to go all the way up there!!!! if i dont have to.  maybe o pinched the fuel line.  im going to look for a fuel preasure tester at harbor frieght or kragan.  i pulled the afv off when i did my late modle plenum conversion.  i wonder if that has anyhing to do with things?  anyone want to come to hayward and wreanch on my 4x4?? im so frustrated cuz a officer is trying to ticket me for haveing a non running vehicle in my own driveway!!!!!!!!! 300 bucks if i dont show proof it is running!!!!!

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:11:43 PM »
the cheack engine light odly enough isn't on when i get it sputtering

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2007, 02:31:53 AM »
No just one!  The reason is, the body harness for a RE has the O2 sensor plug, and the RTE has the O2 sensor plug in the EFI harness!  Thats why you have two O2 plugs! 

Did you check the pin locations on the ecm and ecm plug's?  Some years are different!  I got a spare harness that was supposed to been from a 86, but it is actually from a rig that is 1988 or newer!  Some of the color codes and plugs don't match up with what the wire schematics say they are supposed to be for a 87'. 

Try reading any codes?  If something is not reading it should tell you!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
Did you check the pin locations on the ecm and ecm plug's? 

how do i cheack these????

so you ended up with one o2 sensor plug!!!.  is your vehicle an 85??   i wonder if my 22rte was an 87???
  the cheack engine light wasnt on.  ill try reading the codes.  but im worried the plug for the codes will be not functuioning>!!!!  i need to google what the codes mean again!!!

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
No just one!  The reason is, the body harness for a RE has the O2 sensor plug, and the RTE has the O2 sensor plug in the EFI harness!  Thats why you have two O2 plugs! 

im confiused how come you ended up with 1 and i ended up with 2? im using the one on the engine harness. 

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2007, 10:37:41 PM »
i might try to cheack the fuel system. the fuel line was d.c.'ed a year.  maybe i have air in the line.  is that possible.  how can i cheak that???

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2007, 07:29:43 PM »
Well, I think you need to sit down and relax for a little bit! 

Get some wiring diagrams.  That will help you to trace the wires!  You got two different years of harness's!  The 85 is the same but just slightly different from what I understand!  The 86 to 87 are the same, 88 is it's own, and 89 to 90ish are the same!  So, from what I've seen and read is that the 22re models, some have the wires from the O2 sensor in the engine body harness, and some have them in the EFI harness.  The 22RTE efi harness has the O2 sensor in it.  I'm assuming this is how you got two O2 plugs!  By mixing the two harness's!  Your best bet would be to get a harness for the year you got!  I got a 87 22rte converted to 22re!  According to the 87 FSM the harness's are very much the same for me!  It says that the 221rte has a PSI sensor that I've yet to find on my truck!

As for pin location, is to get a wiring diagram that shows what pins are where on the ecm and on the plugs that go into the ecm.  And then follow the wires to the location they are plugged into!  Sensor, injector, ignitor, efm, tps, and so on.  You get my drift?  Hope this helps?