Author Topic: truck wont start  (Read 2125 times)

offroadin88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
truck wont start
« on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:11:04 PM »
heres what happened

installed a black magic 165 fan on my 90 toy with teh 3.0v6 fired the truck up it ran just fine let it sit an idle till it got to above normal operating temp.

it idled for a while got about mid range in the gage and just sat there I waited a bit longer the truck started to make a funny noise so I shut it down

the fan never kicked on so I went through the wiring and found a burnt fuse that poped when wiring the fan up. I swapped the fuse and the fan fired up. I let the fan run untill it shut itself off. I also left the hood open durring this time to help it cool faster.

so now when I got into the truck to start it up no go just makes a clicking noise. I went through all the fuses and they are all good. also pulled the starter and had it tested it tested good any ideas

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Re: truck wont start
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:26:09 PM »
I'm sure you already thought of checking the battery to see if the fan pulled too much power from it while it was running and the truck wasn't...  I have the same fan on my 92.  Mine shorted out once too and my truck overheated and burnt a rod bearing...   :maddest: 

If the battery is good, and it's just clicking after shorting out a fuse and you checked the connections at the battery and the starter, obviously it must have burnt another wire somewhere.  Sorry to state the obvious.   :hammerhead:  Where did it blow the fuse at?  Was it the in-line fuse between the positive battery terminal and the fan control, or was it a fuse somewhere else? 

Sounds like you have the fan setup to run off the thermostat and if it came on when the truck was hot and went off after it cooled it off you must have it working right. 

I would start by identifying which fuse shorted, check the battery and start narrowing it down from there.  If the starter selinoid is good and the started clicks when you turn the key, if it is getting enough voltage it should at least turn the motor over...   :dunno:
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »
Jeff, I don't mean to thread jack but did you install a relay for switch override for your 'Black Magic' fan?
I don't remember having these problems of battery drain during my install!
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »
Jeff, I don't mean to thread jack but did you install a relay for switch override for your 'Black Magic' fan?
I don't remember having these problems of battery drain during my install!

No, I didn't install a manual over switch.  I didn't have battery drain problems durring install.  Offroadin88 is having problems with his truck not starting after install.  Sounds like his fan works fine.  He said the truck got hotter than normal because he had blown a fuse and his fan didn't come on initally.  Then he fixed the fuse problem and the fan came on with the truck not started and ran until the truck cooled.  If he hasn't changed anything else and his starter is good, then his battery could be low causing the selonoid to click but not turn the truck over.  This is the simplest thing to check if all his fuses are good.  Being cold out this time of year the battery may have been low or something and running the fan with the truck not started could have drained it just enough to not supply full power to the started causing it to just click.  If the battery has plenty of power and his connections are good too, then he probably fried something, which cause the blown fues to start with.  He was asking for ideas, so it is an idea.  May not be what's wrong at all, but it is somewhere to start.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
No, I didn't install a manual over switch.  I didn't have battery drain problems durring install.  Offroadin88 is having problems with his truck not starting after install.  Sounds like his fan works fine.  He said the truck got hotter than normal because he had blown a fuse and his fan didn't come on initally.  Then he fixed the fuse problem and the fan came on with the truck not started and ran until the truck cooled.  If he hasn't changed anything else and his starter is good, then his battery could be low causing the selonoid to click but not turn the truck over.  This is the simplest thing to check if all his fuses are good.  Being cold out this time of year the battery may have been low or something and running the fan with the truck not started could have drained it just enough to not supply full power to the started causing it to just click.  If the battery has plenty of power and his connections are good too, then he probably fried something, which cause the blown fues to start with.  He was asking for ideas, so it is an idea.  May not be what's wrong at all, but it is somewhere to start.
Thanks Jeff, I learn something new every day. DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008, 05:01:24 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I learn something new every day. DanS

:headscratch:

Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

offroadin88 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:01:30 PM »
I pulled the batt and will have it tested and charged tomorrow I doubt it could be the batt being low but maybe since I havent had it out in a few weeks.

I pulled the starter apart and my contacts are crappy so ill replace those too.

as far as the fuse that I poped it was the fuse between the positive batt and the fan I was lazy and didnt disconnect the cable and it hit the rad and poped it. when I replaced it the fan came right back on.

also what size fuse should it be. I put a 20 amp in

I also hooked up the manual switch I put a fuse in there too.

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »
Sounds like your fan is good to go.  I think i have a 30 amp in mine.  If your starter contacts are crappy then that's probably what it is.  If it just grounded out and blew that inline fuse then I wouldn't think it would have hurt anything else.

When mine shorted out it was inside the fan control the main power connection at the fan control came loose from the circuit board and touched metal and it fried my control...  Not good. 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

offroadin88 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »
replaced the fuse with a 30 amp I agree the fan works fine.

took the batt in and it tested ok and prob was low from sitting for so long. but its a few years old and should prob be replaced anyway.

got a question for you guys
I have a m8000 what optima should I go for.
toy v6 just fyi