Author Topic: Truck wont start! please help!  (Read 11053 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Truck wont start! please help!
« on: Feb 23, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »
1986 toyota pickup 4x4 sr5, 5spd, 22-re unknown mileage.

The truck wont start.  I have tried many things and at one point it was starting and running for about 5 secs then dieing, then i tried this fuel pump check thing ( http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#FuelPump  scroll down to the fuel pump tricks) and i think i screwed it up worse ( now that i looked at the site again i think i may have jumped the wrong connector and fried something, but i dont know what) because now it wont start at all, still turns over but wont start, and the fuel pump wont turn on.  I know the pump is still good though because i hooked a wire to it from the battery so i could bypass everything and see if it was still good, and it is.  PLEASE HELP ME
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2006, 05:17:41 PM by 86turboyota »
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: Truck wont start! please help!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:42:28 PM »
Did you check the efi fuse inside the cab? that feeds the fuel pump. Check for juice at the relay, next to the brain on passenger side of kick panel. Maybe you will get lucky check your fuses
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2006, 12:48:28 PM »
fuses are good.  How would i check the relay?

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:23:40 PM »
when you turn the key one and you put the key to start position you should hear it klick. and check for voltage
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:30:30 PM »
i can hear the relay click on.  However the fuel pump doesnt appear to come on.  Is there some sort of reset button for the whole EFI system?  Also before i did the fuel pump bypass trick thingy the check engine light would come on when i cranked the engine, now it doesnt, unless i have the fuel pump manually engaged.  PLEASE HELP

Truggy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Hammered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:50:07 PM »
okay from my knowledge cause i run the same motor and i had this problem many times and usaully something differnt every time. First of all you have to run power from you fuel pump through the orignal harness because it goes through the computer you need to find the orignal hot wire from the fuel pump and splice it in so theres power through everything its because of all the computer crap.Your fuel filter could be clogged or your cold start injector is not functioning. good luck with it though. i'll look into it an see if i can find anything else.
Building the CRUISER

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2006, 07:44:45 PM »
( with the key in on position))what you might try is pull your air cleaner and put somthing in the air box  open up the big flapper (mas air flo sensor box ) when that is open you will get voltaget to the fuel pump. pull your leads to the fuel pump and check for voltage. if you have voltage you may need to check for fuel flo
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2006, 09:32:03 PM »
ill try the air box thing, but what i realy want to know is what did i mess up when i did the test in my first post?  Did i fry the computer?  Is there a way to reset the whole system? 

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2006, 09:22:58 AM »
btt

TopStreet

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Jan '06
  • The EVIL Turtle is my Arch Enemy!
    • View Profile
    • JHRacing
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2006, 09:46:46 AM »
As far as messing up the computer... Maybe, Dont get too freaked just yet though. Which wires did you hook together?

Now, Did the truck run before? If it did what was the condition. If it ran well before, it is not likely the filter would be clogged.

When you ran a wire to the fuel pump and got it to turn on... Did you try starting it?

Check for spark, then check the plugs. I cant tell you how many times of priming the pump and cranking, I have just made the situation worse.

Any info would help give me an idea of whats going on. Let me know,

Jake

'86 4Runner 2.5tons, Tractor Tires

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50846.new#new  MY 4RUNNER BUILD PAGE!

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35445.0  MY OLD SAS '90 PICKUP

828 whp '92 Eagle Talon / 9.53 @ 150 mph

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »
the one i jumped was the plug that goes into a little black square box that attaches to the base of the coil/igniter.  Before i did this, the truck would start and run for about 3-5 secs then die.  Yes i did try starting it with the fuel pump manuelly turned on with my bypass wire, and now i have fuel pressure to the cold start and all, but it wont fire.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2006, 12:20:29 PM »
 o the fuel pump check conector is the blue two wire flat connector on driver side next to the coil/ignitor and I jumper it and and tried to start the engine ( i think i shouldnt have done that)  what did i fry by trying to start the truck with the plug jumped?  please help

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2006, 03:25:05 PM »
Good luck  there is only so much any one can tell you to do, you are gonna need a buddies truck to swap out parts till you find the problem. Find a donor. Time to trouble shoot
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

TopStreet

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Jan '06
  • The EVIL Turtle is my Arch Enemy!
    • View Profile
    • JHRacing
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2006, 10:06:11 PM »
I can look and see what that 2 wire plug is. In the mean time... Go through the basics.

Even if it is with the bypass wire connected, make sure you have fuel pressure. Further more, hit up a parts store and get a Bosch style noide light. This plugs into the injector and will light up when and if you are getting a signal from the ecu. If you have pressure and the injectors are getting a fire signal.

Verify that you have a "good" amount of spark. You can get a adjustable spark voltage tester as well from the parts store. With this, on a EFI system, you should be able to get 30,000-40,000 volts pretty easily. Also, as simple and stupid as it is.

Make sure the battery is at a solid voltage of 12.5 or higher. 10-11 volts will make a big difference in the coil and fuel pump. Then you add the increased load of the starter and you could be in for some trouble.

Now, if every thing you have done so far shows to be good, then there may be a mechanical issue. This does not instantly mean there is an engine failure. Just that maybe cam/distributor timing is off, low compression, flooded cylinders, etc....

When you break it down into a flow chart it will make things easier. Remember, Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow is all a motor is doing in order to run. It only needs Air, Fuel, Compression, and Spark.

I really hopes this will assist you in getting your rig running.

Jake
'86 4Runner 2.5tons, Tractor Tires

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50846.new#new  MY 4RUNNER BUILD PAGE!

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35445.0  MY OLD SAS '90 PICKUP

828 whp '92 Eagle Talon / 9.53 @ 150 mph

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2006, 09:58:15 AM »
I can look and see what that 2 wire plug is. In the mean time... Go through the basics.

Even if it is with the bypass wire connected, make sure you have fuel pressure. Further more, hit up a parts store and get a Bosch style noide light. This plugs into the injector and will light up when and if you are getting a signal from the ecu. If you have pressure and the injectors are getting a fire signal.

I dont have fuel pressure, that is a big part of the problem, the pump wont turn on when i turn the key.  I think their is a blown resitor somewhere that is preventing the the signal from being sent to the fuel pump.

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2006, 03:40:33 PM »
 disconnect the fuel pump at the tank (connector) get a test light or voltmeter and check for voltage at the pump with the key on in start position and (or) leave key on and stick something in the mas air flo sensor (big door that opens) make sure you are getting juice at fuel pump, if not follow the wire back till you find where it ends ( Im not sure but I think it is connected from relay that is controlled  or turned on and off by ecu ultimately Hope this helps
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2006, 06:15:51 PM »
since the last time i posted i have tried several things and the truck is still not sending juice to the fuel pump, preventing it from starting.  I tried replacing the resistors in the fuse block and the resistor in the engine bay( passenger side one) and i replaced the in cab open relay above the ECU, all to no avail.... the check engine light still will not turn on when i turn the key to the on and start positions like it should, and the fuel pump is not turning on.   Ive tried everything that i can think of.... please help me .

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2006, 08:52:55 PM »
That sucks , for s#$ts and giggles did you try back feeding the ignition? As a last resort try back feeding your ignition to the battery.
Running out of ideas, tell you what I trade you my running money pit for your non running money pit? 
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:02:40 PM »
That sucks , for s#$ts and giggles did you try back feeding the ignition? As a last resort try back feeding your ignition to the battery.
Running out of ideas, tell you what I trade you my running money pit for your non running money pit?

back feeding?

rexandfx

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Oct '05
  • hill-billy ramp travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:04:47 PM »
Is this the RTE?, turbo model?
86 4runner 22rte- stock...for now
81 jeep cherokee widetrack fullsize- also stock...for now

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:15:03 PM »
Take 12 volts (from batery and plug it in on the ignition side to get 12 volts through ( kind of what got you in trouble in the first place)
gonna need an ohm meter or 12 volts to trouble shoot your problem. Do you have a good ground all around on truck to battery?

(if you use an ohm meter got to unplag battery or you will fry meter)
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:28:24 PM »
Is this the RTE?, turbo model?

nope the its a normal 22-re.... i do have a 4runner with a 22-rte, but thats got a blown headgasket... the one im working on right now is the normal 22-re

rexandfx

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Oct '05
  • hill-billy ramp travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:33:49 PM »
ok, just curious, cuz with my rte, when I put it all back together, I forgot to tighten a clamp on one of the MAF connections, and it would start but die immediately, sumtimes run for a few seconds, just because it needs pressure.
but NM then. :snare: 
86 4runner 22rte- stock...for now
81 jeep cherokee widetrack fullsize- also stock...for now

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2006, 08:05:49 PM »
bump... someone must have some more ideas of what i could have fried when i jumped that connector....

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2006, 11:56:16 AM »
bump :crossed:

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:47:57 PM »
your fuel pump isn't supposed to turn on untill your motor starts to turn over and opens the flap in the AFM.  that is why your fuel pump isn't working.  You probably didn't fry anything by shorting that connector because those are made to be shorted.  Check your fuses and fuel filter

toymech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Male Posts: 158
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2006, 04:40:20 PM »
 Ill try my best to help. You say you have no fuel pressure and you do not hear your fuel pump. Go under the hood to the check connector and jump FP to B+. That sends straight power to the fuel pump. If you do not have power at the pump with those jumped you have a broken wire or a resistance problem. Does your check engine light turn on? e-mail me. hatchadoin@aol.com. ill try to help. mike :turtle:
87 Runner-rebuilt 22re,3 inch downey ifs lift,allpro rear bumper,Detroit locked rear with 4.88s,detroit true trac front diff,Marlin crawler clutch,R151F trans,Marlin Crawler 4.7 reduction gearset,33 inch Goodyear MTRs

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2006, 11:08:24 AM »
your fuel pump isn't supposed to turn on untill your motor starts to turn over and opens the flap in the AFM. that is why your fuel pump isn't working. You probably didn't fry anything by shorting that connector because those are made to be shorted. Check your fuses and fuel filter

the fuel pump doesnt come on when i crank the engine....

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2006, 11:11:01 AM »
Ill try my best to help. You say you have no fuel pressure and you do not hear your fuel pump. Go under the hood to the check connector and jump FP to B+. That sends straight power to the fuel pump. If you do not have power at the pump with those jumped you have a broken wire or a resistance problem. Does your check engine light turn on? e-mail me. hatchadoin@aol.com. ill try to help. mike :turtle:

when i jump FP and B+ what position should the key be in?  do i need the ignition on or what?  the check engine light will not come on at all right now.  In my other yota the check engine light comes on when you crank the engine until it starts, but the truck thats giving me trouble is not turing the check engine light on at all.

toymech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Male Posts: 158
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2006, 07:08:19 PM »
Yeah,the key needs to be on. If you have no check engine light check the EFI fuse and check for power at the EFI fuse. Theres something up there. No check engine light leads me to beleive no power turning on the PCM. MIke
87 Runner-rebuilt 22re,3 inch downey ifs lift,allpro rear bumper,Detroit locked rear with 4.88s,detroit true trac front diff,Marlin crawler clutch,R151F trans,Marlin Crawler 4.7 reduction gearset,33 inch Goodyear MTRs