Author Topic: Made in China  (Read 31201 times)

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Made in China
« Reply #180 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:38:06 PM »
i was listening to the radio and i guess some factories and companies in china are now outsourcing so they can offer lower prices.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:51:10 PM »

Awesome! I agree nothing ad rather do then home projects and work on my junk on the driveway. If the nieghbors think im wierd or low class so be it. but dont come knocking when your car wont start! also when I first moved into this nieghborhood the MORMONS across the street came over to me and said "so are you the ones living in sin" i was like lady if living with her is going to earn me a ticket to hell I have lots worse to worry about...    we moved in in july and were married sept, like I was going to live in this house alone and have her rent a apartment for two months?
You're forgetting the second part of gittinit's statement, Overpaid, AND underworked, by past generations standard.  Splasher, you said it yourself, the cost of construction has gone up, and the quality has gone down.  How many times do you see the general contractors (no offense to you guys that do actually work :thumbs: ) hire their crews, and then they just stand around, watching their unskilled labor screw up the job.
I think this is the biggest factor, along with complacency, and the importance of image above all else.  I know people that will drive across town to buy a loaf of bread because it is .05 cheaper, and then pregnant dog about the price of gas, and how often they have to fill up their tank.  Doesn't stop them from driving their top of the line 50K SUV tha they'll owe on until they finance the next one. 

As a whole, our societies biggest drive is to keep up with the Joneses.  They want life to be easy, to be handed to them, but they don't want to work for it.  Of course, not everyone feels this way, but it seems like that is the American societies view.  We (society) have food on demand, don't even have to cook any more, we'll just stop by McD's, or applebees on our way home, driving our financed, brand new vehicle, that we're going to owe on until we finance our next vehicle.  When that vehicle breaks, we just take it into the shop, because God forbid we know where the hood pop latch is, or want to see the neighbors working on our vehicle, because it indicates we're of a *gasp* lower class!! 

When we get home, we don't even have any chores to do, because we've paid someone to mow our lawn, we've got the food in the car, the kids have been baby sat all day, hell, we've even paid someone to pick up the dog :pokinit: !  So we go inside, grab our paper plates (so we don't have to wash dishes) and plop down in front of our 60" plasma TV with surround sound, HD dvd, cable, etc. all of which we've financed.

The kids go in the other room, where they watch their own TV, or surf the internet.  Then when our kids act out, and misbehave, we throw them into therapy, medicate them, or buy them stuff, instead of disciplining them.  Then we wonder why they're so screwed up when they get older. 

Of course, then there's those of us that take pride in our work.  We work hard, don't spend money that we don't have (for the most part) and enjoy challenges.  I'm glad that I can surround myself with this type of people, and that we have such a large gathering of them, here on the Marlin board :gap:

Awesome! I agree nothing id rather do then home projects and work on my junk on the driveway. If the nieghbors think im wierd or low class so be it. but dont come knocking when your car wont start! also when I first moved into this nieghborhood the MORMONS across the street came over to me and said "so are you the ones living in sin" i was like lady if living with her is going to earn me a ticket to hell I have lots worse to worry about...    we moved in in july and were married sept, like I was going to live in this house alone and have her rent a apartment for two months?
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Mar 09, 2008, 01:58:35 PM »
I think this is the biggest factor, along with complacency, and the importance of image above all else...

As a whole, our societies biggest drive is to keep up with the Joneses...

Of course, then there's those of us that take pride in our work.  We work hard, don't spend money that we don't have (for the most part) and enjoy challenges.  I'm glad that I can surround myself with this type of people, and that we have such a large gathering of them, here on the Marlin board :gap:

Yup.  Naturally, the result is that those who think beyond the end of our noses and try to contribute more than we drain from society end up paying in extra to bail out those who think only in terms of image and convenience.  When your primary concern is what you want to buy next, other factors (such as where it's made, or how long it lasts, or how long you'll remain interested in your new purchase) take a back seat...

Side note: I'll admit to a weakness for convenience, and it is costing us more money than I care to admit.  Momma doesn't like to cook (she says she does, but a lot of my meals come from paper bags and cardboard boxes) and I am too tired when I get home to do much in the kitchen.  I may have to do all the cooking for a while until she notices that her four hours of school allow more kitchen time than my ten hours of work do.  Either way we are trying to change the bad habits with a menu of things that make it easier to eat real food at home, and less tempting to buy something from a blow-molded clown head with a speaker in its grinning mouth.  Could be a difference of a couple of hundred dollars a month we are just throwing away.   :crossed:

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Mar 10, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
Could be a difference of a couple of hundred dollars a month we are just throwing away.   :crossed:

Pssshh, that's a myth!  The "it's cheaper to eat a home made meal" theory is based on people who buy 10 year old budget beans, soak them in saved dish water and cook them over wood they found down by the river.  It's all about knowin when and where the deals are and not eating mroe than you need to!  Fyi, kfc has a $2.99 tuesday night meal (2 pieces of "chicken", corn, taters/gravy and a biscuit), you just have to know to ask for it :wink:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #184 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:26:18 PM »
It's been a while but yes they are at it again, first it was tainted babies milk and it was a deliberate act to mask the fact that they had watered it down. So to pass inspection melamine was added raising the nitrogen levels to fool the inspectors of the protein deficiency. Now this has spread to Cadbury since they have a plant in China, I think that I'm going to start looking very carefully at what I buy and where it comes from.

(yes this thread deserves being revived!)
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »
It's been a while but yes they are at it again, first it was tainted babies milk and it was a deliberate act to mask the fact that they had watered it down. So to pass inspection melamine was added raising the nitrogen levels to fool the inspectors of the protein deficiency. Now this has spread to Cadbury since they have a plant in China, I think that I'm going to start looking very carefully at what I buy and where it comes from.

(yes this thread deserves being revived!)

:yesnod:   I've been keeping an eye on that stuff for a while now :gap:

Pssshh, that's a myth!  The "it's cheaper to eat a home made meal" theory is based on people who buy 10 year old budget beans, soak them in saved dish water and cook them over wood they found down by the river.  It's all about knowin when and where the deals are and not eating mroe than you need to!  Fyi, kfc has a $2.99 tuesday night meal (2 pieces of "chicken", corn, taters/gravy and a biscuit), you just have to know to ask for it :wink:

I'd have to say you're half right :gap:  When we're at work, we buy food for that shift, and have "home cooked" meals most of the time.  Depending on the station, we wind up feeding 4-12 people at a meal.  Most of the crews pull the sale ads out of the paper on tuesdays, and work off them when they plan their meals.  We usually spend anywhere between 2-8 a day on food.  This includes lunch and dinner.  :gap:  This isn't to say we don't eat well either.  We're talking chicken breasts, lasagna, steaks, pork chops, fish, good salads, etc.  Obviously, when you buy bigger portions, you usually see bigger savings per person, but you're absolutely right nate, its all knowing when and where the deals are.  :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #186 on: Apr 01, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »
Bringing the thread back to life with TOXIC CHINESE DRY WALL :aaa:

I just heard about this today. It's been out for a couple of weeks now

Sources:
Killer Toxic Drywall Material from China Now Being Investigated in Florida, The Gulf States and New Orleans
Chinese-made drywall ruining homes
Toxic Chinese Drywall Sheetrock About to Become Part of a National Investigation
HELP: Chinese Drywall

"(CNN) -- Officials are looking into claims that Chinese-made drywall installed in some Florida homes is emitting smelly, corrosive gases and ruining household systems such as air conditioners, the Consumer Product Safety Commission says......."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wM0NK-M3A0Q&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wM0NK-M3A0Q&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jCxRWi67AuM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jCxRWi67AuM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

I am living in a new(er) home and I feel like pulling out a wall outlet just to check :o Buy Chinese = get screwed
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2010, 09:12:52 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Apr 01, 2010, 09:43:22 AM »
Also, CruzrDave just told me about this one from 2006 that I had not heard of. :thud: I know it's old news, but holy crap

Chinese county clubs to death 50,000 dogs
Campaign against rabies prompts mass slaughter in southwestern China

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14139027/

"SHANGHAI, China - China slaughtered 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered crackdown after three people died of rabies, sparking unusually pointed criticism in state media Tuesday and an outcry from animal rights activists."

"Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported. Led by the county police chief, killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then beat the animals to death, the reports said."

I understand some people have died from rabies, but it seems there must have been a better way to do this... :down:

:down: :down:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #188 on: Apr 01, 2010, 02:54:30 PM »
That drywall thing has been around for a while, in some cases whole housing tracts have had to be gutted and the insides completely redone.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:28:39 PM »
You mean like, give the dogs rabies shots? :dunno:

mabye it's just me, but 3 people dying from rabies doesn't even cone close to justifying the killing of 10 dogs even, without knowledge that they're carrying the disease.

I do know exactly what would happen with one of those sticks if someone cane up and started beating one of my dogs though.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Apr 01, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
You mean like, give the dogs rabies shots? :dunno:

mabye it's just me, but 3 people dying from rabies doesn't even cone close to justifying the killing of 10 dogs even, without knowledge that they're carrying the disease.

I do know exactly what would happen with one of those sticks if someone cane up and started beating one of my dogs though.

x2  That is really messed up!
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #191 on: Apr 01, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »
Yeah that's pretty messed up, guess they weren't worth at least a bullet if it was even really necessary.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Apr 02, 2010, 01:57:26 AM »
Yes start inspecting your food, I just returned Raley's house brand apple juice, since it is made w/Chinese concentrate.  I refuse to buy or eat anything made in China, both out of principle and safety.  I try to buy as little as I have to from those Commi b*stds, even when it means paying hundreds more for something like a HD TV.  Unfortunately too few Americans feel the same way and only want more crap for their money than higher quality.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 01:17:22 AM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Apr 02, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »
it is made w/Chinese concentrate. 

:yikes: Concentrated Chinese!!!

Is that like fish sauce or Soylent Green.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Apr 02, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »
mmmmmmmmm  Soylent Green  :yumyum: 
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Apr 02, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »
It is ridiculous how they make and sell us such harmfull junk, and what does the majority of America do? Line up at walmart and beg for more. I read some where that when the movie avatar came out in china it was making so much money that they banned it since it was taking so much of the market share from films made in china. But yet we still goble up there junk despite how many business here in the us it puts out of business.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Apr 02, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
wow 87p, that is crazy..

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: Apr 05, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
"this was the third major international incident involving its owners in four years."

:eek: In case you wondered whatever happened to Capt Joseph Hazelwood...  :_oops:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Apr 06, 2010, 01:32:44 AM »
A stranded Chinese coal ship leaking oil onto Australia's Great Barrier Reef is an environmental time bomb with the potential to devastate large protected areas of the reef, activists said on Monday.

Now call me a skeptic if you want, but an activists' job is to throw a negative light on everything, so even if it were leaking flowers they'd say it was an environmental time bomb.  But at least they got it right for once  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Apr 06, 2010, 03:14:56 AM »
I say we nuke china. Easiest way to put trail gear out of buisness lol
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Apr 06, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »
^^While there may come a day when this  is necessary(i.e, does China go out w/a bang, or quietly like the USSR), the easiest thing to do in the mean time, is to not buy Chinese made products when at all possible.  If/when you do have no choice but to buy them, make sure the clerks and management(if possible) are made aware of your disapproval.  This is the only way we are ever going to quality made consumer goods here in the U.S., of course this means we have to be if we are willing to pay more for something not made in China, as we did a mere 10-12yrs ago.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:44:09 PM »
Clerks and management won't give a crap.
RIP KYOTA

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Apr 07, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
^^Not necessarily.  I have found that it often depends on the age of the clerk or manager, usually those under 25 are less concerned w/the Chinese, which is understandable.  Most of them have never owned a toy, game, clothes, electronics, not made in China, and have little concern over their food being made there.  The older clerks and managers however do seam to be more concerned, but them again they could just be better/more experienced at blowing smoke up a customers azz, then their younger counterparts.  I often ask the sales person if they have product "X" that isn't made in China, even if I know there aren't any, juts to get them thinking about it.  Anything I have returned to a store, when asked why I am returning it I always say because it is made in China, even if it was something I got as a gift that I didn't want/couldn't use.  Even if there isn't an immediate reaction to the statement about not wanting to buy Chinese made crap, it will eventually get talked about to those who are in a position to do something, even if it gets brought up in conversation as a point of humor.  The more people that say something when having to buy the Chinese made crap, the more likely merchants will respond.

I can't wait for the S.F. Bay Bridge to collapse or start falling apart shortly after it is finished, like the Chinese made sheet rock. China is building all of the deck plates(road sections) for the eastern side of the bridge, the first ones arrived last month.  Bay Bridge welding woes lead to China trip.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Apr 08, 2010, 02:43:01 AM »
Actually, major construction projects, stuff made in China not for export, anything that is of a political nature(such as the fallout from this bridge if that does happen), and things they make for their own military are made properly and well enough.   The issue is the utter crap made for export, since there are no legal or financial penalties for anything once it leaves China.  Some companies do a good job and some are just lying piles of gopher dung.  

Unfortunately for steel, you can't tell by looking and have to do wear and breaking strength tests and the like on each batch.  This is time-consuming and so a lot of companies don't do it.  But the bridge will be done correctly if for no reason than they want more work in the future from us.

That said, there ARE non-Chinese made alternatives to almost everything in life.  Now, true, my t-shirt is made in El Salvador or someplace like that, but it's a dozen times better than China.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Apr 08, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »
I wouldn't bet on the Domestic Chinese stuff being made any better than what they export.  The old adage "You play like you practice" pretty much applies to everything in life, and the '08 earthquake in China pretty much showed their domestic building capabilities.  Also given the quality of domestic military goods in the old Soviet Union, the Eastern Block nations, Cuba, Venezuela, and N. Korea, it is unlikely that China would be the first Communist state to build quality domestic/military goods.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: Apr 10, 2010, 12:32:22 AM »
so even if it were leaking flowers they'd say it was an environmental time bomb.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Leaking flowers, that is awesome Nate lol

Dang. Chinese boats leaking oil and cracked Chinese welds on bridges. Is anyone surprised?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:09:40 AM »
Saw this quote, had to share :yupyup:

In the Beginning, God made the Heavens and the Earth. The rest was Made in China.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2010, 02:58:26 PM by BigMike »

Tofudude

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »
Big diffrence though...american ceo  screws up, he gets booted with serveral million in his pocket. in china a chinese ceo screws up, they get executed (the toys with the lead paint was on example.)

China allows there market to do what ever they want. But if it makes china look bad, they suffer some serious consequences. Just my 2 cents.

My family buys USA made products, hence why we all drive toyotas  :greengrin: