Author Topic: Made in China  (Read 31224 times)

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
Re: Made in China
« Reply #150 on: Feb 24, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »
On them there crash tests you see on the internet
Ah.  I'd be cautious - some of crash performance is due to materials, but of course much of it is due to the construction used in the car's bodyshell.  You can make a car that crashed poorly out of the finest materials if you don't engineer it properly.

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Feb 24, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
 Those Chinese cars should not be driven by anyone except the cheap idiots that designed them.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:42:15 PM »
Chinese isn't all bad you guys come on!       Can you say seschwan chicken with fried rice yum yum.
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Feb 24, 2008, 10:04:32 PM »
I don't eat chinese food, it's not patriotic :nope:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Feb 24, 2008, 10:59:18 PM »
Bwaaaahahaha.  Say hi to George for me next time you're not eating Chinese food.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #155 on: Feb 25, 2008, 06:39:58 AM »

:rofl:

I take it you don't eat mexican  and No Taco bell dose not count as mexican
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

rlwjaw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -123
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
This is a coment from Warn Winch about made in china

In a global economy, parts for manufacturing are procured from all sources that will provide the best quality for building a product. To this end we do use some parts that are purchased from around the world (Including China) to manufacture the Warn branded winches. However, most of the parts, quality control and assembly of the products are maintained here at our factory in Clackamas, OR. to maintain the highest standards that you have come to expect from the Warn name.

Thanks,

Rich Kadwell

Technical Customer Service Rep.

Ph# 800-543-9276

Fax# 503-722-3000

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Feb 26, 2008, 11:55:05 PM »
In other words, expect the cheap permanent magnets to crack and the bearings to fail.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:09:05 AM »
In other words, expect the cheap permanent magnets to crack and the bearings to fail.

great, I just wasted 900$ bucks on a new XD9000i :doh:

:yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Feb 27, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »
 whoa, this is really disappointing, maybe one could find an old 8274 with all American parts.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Feb 27, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
great, I just wasted 900$ bucks on a new XD9000i :doh:

:yupyup:

look man ill pay shipping to get it to my house... theres no need in you stressin that its going to break!
_[O!!!!!O]_

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:13:14 AM »
look man ill pay shipping to get it to my house... theres no need in you stressin that its going to break!
nah, I think I'm gonna do a  long term test...I'll let you guys know how its holding up in about 20 years :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Feb 28, 2008, 10:41:49 PM »
If warn is made in China I have less of a reason to buy one now.  I'm looking at buying a winch and was willing to pay a few bills more for a Warn since its US made.  But if its not then what's the point.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Feb 29, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »
If warn is made in China I have less of a reason to buy one now.  I'm looking at buying a winch and was willing to pay a few bills more for a Warn since its US made.  But if its not then what's the point.

he says they only use some parts... Im sure if you never bought anything with chinese parts you would go without. we all know warn Is probably the best winch around.

Dont get me wrong im totally for buying USA but sometimes you have to sacrafice.. even tho I dont think warn or even every thing from china is second best.
_[O!!!!!O]_

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Feb 29, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »
What are some parts?  I like buying US made stuff but recognize the reality.  But if my choices are all chinese made then that changes my outlook.  Maybe Warns are better.  Sure the $1000 Warn is better than the $300 Smittybilt, it should be for more than 3 times the price.  That's apples to oranges.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Male Posts: 231
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Mar 01, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »
For the most part unions pushed our jobs out of the country by inflating the pay we receive for the work we do.
Just remember, if it wasn't for <B>UNIONS</B> we'd all still be working 60-72hr work weeks 5-6 days a week. Unions are to thank for your weekends.

Also the strict working conditions that have been created by the likes of OSHA that tie the hands of business.

I'm by no means a fan of OSHA, but without it, big business would simply be making even MORE profit off the backs of their labor. We'd have working conditions no better than China's.

We shouldn't be blaming our labor force for jobs going overseas and to Mexico, we should be blaming corporate America's greed, and ourselves. All day long our kids are drilled with nothing but "go to college" and "get an education" we as citizens have either conciously or tacitly approved of the removal of trade/manual training from our schools. What do we expect, now we have no skilled labor to replace our retirees, and we have college grads with USELESS degrees that cost thousands of dollars flipping burgers. We have become a weak lazy nation, and other see this and are willing to take EVERY advantage we'll give them.

If you take a job and know the dangers before going in and you get hurt then that was part of the job. I'm not saying that if there were a way to make the job safe that a business shouldn't make it that way it's just that some jobs are dangerous and you may get hurt doing it.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Mar 02, 2008, 09:50:40 AM »
What are some parts?  I like buying US made stuff but recognize the reality.  But if my choices are all chinese made then that changes my outlook.  Maybe Warns are better.  Sure the $1000 Warn is better than the $300 Smittybilt, it should be for more than 3 times the price.  That's apples to oranges.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a winch that is not made with some chinese parts... I posted that to show that not EVERYTHING made in China is junk....most of it is...but not all....just use your best judgement :thumbsup:

oh and whats this "weekend" thing splasher speaks of :rofl:
RIP KYOTA

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Mar 02, 2008, 03:47:52 PM »
oh and whats this "weekend" thing splasher speaks of :rofl:
It's all that time that you're working and not getting paid, vs, the other days when you're working and getting paid CRAPPY!

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Mar 03, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »
It's all that time that you're working and not getting paid, vs, the other days when you're working and getting paid CRAPPY!

Some people still work weekends.

I think most americans are overpaid, and underworked by previous generations standards. To make it worse we sit around talking bout things we,for the most part, arent willing to change.  Eeryone seems to, want to point a finger at the cause of the problem, instead of accepting that they are the solution. If you want change, change yourself and hope others do the same.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Mar 03, 2008, 05:30:21 PM »
Just remember, if it wasn't for <B>UNIONS</B> we'd all still be working 60-72hr work weeks 5-6 days a week. Unions are to thank for your weekends.

I'm by no means a fan of OSHA, but without it, big business would simply be making even MORE profit off the backs of their labor. We'd have working conditions no better than China's.

We shouldn't be blaming our labor force for jobs going overseas and to Mexico, we should be blaming corporate America's greed, and ourselves. All day long our kids are drilled with nothing but "go to college" and "get an education" we as citizens have either conciously or tacitly approved of the removal of trade/manual training from our schools. What do we expect, now we have no skilled labor to replace our retirees, and we have college grads with USELESS degrees that cost thousands of dollars flipping burgers. We have become a weak lazy nation, and other see this and are willing to take EVERY advantage we'll give them.

If you take a job and know the dangers before going in and you get hurt then that was part of the job. I'm not saying that if there were a way to make the job safe that a business shouldn't make it that way it's just that some jobs are dangerous and you may get hurt doing it.

I think most americans are overpaid, and underworked by previous generations standards. To make it worse we sit around talking bout things we,for the most part, arent willing to change.  Eeryone seems to, want to point a finger at the cause of the problem, instead of accepting that they are the solution. If you want change, change yourself and hope others do the same.

:clap: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #170 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:53:53 AM »
I worked 12-15 hrs. a day until recently, in fact my current employer frowns on any overtime. I think some of this attitude starts at the top. Greedy bastids that don't want to pay extra to their employees even at the cost of customer service. When I was the General Manager at JIB sure we didn't want to pay O.T. but for overall customer satisfaction it has to be done sometimes. At my current job you can be fired for not getting off the floor to avoid O.T. even if you are helping a customer. I'm sure for time and a half most people would work it, I never had any trouble finding someone unless they had a prior commitment such as a second job, kids or something like that.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:27:35 AM »
I think most americans are overpaid, and underworked by previous generations standards.
If we (I'm including myself in your blanket statement) are so overpaid and underworked compared to past generations, why is it that a family basically can't survive without BOTH parents working now. I don't demand anything more than my parents or grandparents, and I'm not overextended by any means, but with 3 kids and a house, I could not make it on my paycheck alone?! And yet my parents and grandparents made due?!

I put in my 40, or 50, or 60, plus long commutes which cost more in fuel and kill my cars, and yet I still can't provide adequately for my family ALONE. How is that overpaid??? And I know I'm not alone in this, I'm quite positive that there are others on this board in the same position.

If you want to make a difference in your own little way, then do it! I do, I buy American made products when possible, (ever tried Christmas shopping for kids without buying Chinese crap?) I refuse to shop in a WalMart, I make as much stuff as I can find time to, and I drive junk rather than finance a new car every couple years and never own my rigs.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #172 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:11:04 AM »
Yeah, Right, overpaid, not me that's for sure I've never been overpaid for what I've done. Underpaid would be more appropriate. About the only people I see being overpaid are athletes, actors, and CEO's.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #173 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »
to live the same as a family did in the 70's with one parent making 50k a year requires a total salary of a little over 90k a year today.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »
to live the same as a family did in the 70's with one parent making 50k a year requires a total salary of a little over 90k a year today.
I think even that is undercutting things a bit. My wife and I broke 110K last year, and we're far from comfortable. I live in a modest 3/2, all my vehicles are paid for, I have less than 2K consumer dept, we only eat out once a week, and still I have a hard time finding cash for my rigs and the fun stuff.

And I have to commute to work because GREEDY ARSE local contractrs would rather hire "ethnic" crews who'll cut corners and charge half as much for labor while working weekends for straight time. Meanwhile the cost of houses keeps going up, while the quality of construction keeps going down. Explain that to me?!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #175 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »
Explain that to me?!

GREED, and it's not a new thing.

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:12:48 AM »
I agree that it isn't a new idea, but have we as a nation become so complacent as to allow ourselves to be walked on? I can do what I can, but I am only one person who seems to affect nothing. Our thinking as a whole seems to be flawed and getting worse!

A "world economy" WHO SAID THAT WAS A GOOD THING?! Screw Clinton and NAFTA, but look how many IDIOTS are willing to put Hillary into office?! What are we thinking?!

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Mar 04, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »

If we (I'm including myself in your blanket statement) are so overpaid and underworked compared to past generations, why is it that a family basically can't survive without BOTH parents working now. I don't demand anything more than my parents or grandparents, and I'm not overextended by any means, but with 3 kids and a house, I could not make it on my paycheck alone?! And yet my parents and grandparents made due?!

I put in my 40, or 50, or 60, plus long commutes which cost more in fuel and kill my cars, and yet I still can't provide adequately for my family ALONE. How is that overpaid??? And I know I'm not alone in this, I'm quite positive that there are others on this board in the same position.

If you want to make a difference in your own little way, then do it! I do, I buy American made products when possible, (ever tried Christmas shopping for kids without buying Chinese crap?) I refuse to shop in a WalMart, I make as much stuff as I can find time to, and I drive junk rather than finance a new car every couple years and never own my rigs.

Perfect. I would like to see the overpaid underworked people hes speaking of. I do see them in the nfl, nba, and all the other sports out there. Also Actors are paid so much it makes me sick.. I think its rediculous all the people out there feeling bad for that Owen Wilson, what in his life of lavishness is so hard that he has to try to end it? I am with the others here I have to work at least 50 hrs a week, along with my wife doing close to the same.. We have older cars a older house and no kids yet... (one on the way!) Ill be makin 21 an hour with unlimited ot and im still gonna try to go to school to do better.. you say that no one wants to better themselves or make change? its hard even these days to go to college unless you can live at home and or have parents willing to help out. student loans are available but you still have to be able to pay the bills while you are going to school...      just my two cents.
_[O!!!!!O]_

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »
At my current job you can be fired for not getting off the floor to avoid O.T. even if you are helping a customer.

Just leave a job like that.  I'd personally suggest looking into the electrician's union.  They are undermanned right now and pay well, plus overtime and very good medical.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
You're forgetting the second part of gittinit's statement, Overpaid, AND underworked, by past generations standard.  Splasher, you said it yourself, the cost of construction has gone up, and the quality has gone down.  How many times do you see the general contractors (no offense to you guys that do actually work :thumbs: ) hire their crews, and then they just stand around, watching their unskilled labor screw up the job.

I think this is the biggest factor, along with complacency, and the importance of image above all else.  I know people that will drive across town to buy a loaf of bread because it is .05 cheaper, and then pregnant dog about the price of gas, and how often they have to fill up their tank.  Doesn't stop them from driving their top of the line 50K SUV tha they'll owe on until they finance the next one. 

As a whole, our societies biggest drive is to keep up with the Joneses.  They want life to be easy, to be handed to them, but they don't want to work for it.  Of course, not everyone feels this way, but it seems like that is the American societies view.  We (society) have food on demand, don't even have to cook any more, we'll just stop by McD's, or applebees on our way home, driving our financed, brand new vehicle, that we're going to owe on until we finance our next vehicle.  When that vehicle breaks, we just take it into the shop, because God forbid we know where the hood pop latch is, or want to see the neighbors working on our vehicle, because it indicates we're of a *gasp* lower class!! 

When we get home, we don't even have any chores to do, because we've paid someone to mow our lawn, we've got the food in the car, the kids have been baby sat all day, hell, we've even paid someone to pick up the dog :pokinit: !  So we go inside, grab our paper plates (so we don't have to wash dishes) and plop down in front of our 60" plasma TV with surround sound, HD dvd, cable, etc. all of which we've financed.

The kids go in the other room, where they watch their own TV, or surf the internet.  Then when our kids act out, and misbehave, we throw them into therapy, medicate them, or buy them stuff, instead of disciplining them.  Then we wonder why they're so screwed up when they get older. 

Of course, then there's those of us that take pride in our work.  We work hard, don't spend money that we don't have (for the most part) and enjoy challenges.  I'm glad that I can surround myself with this type of people, and that we have such a large gathering of them, here on the Marlin board :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent