Poll

What size of oil filter do you use on your 22R/RE??

Tiny Little Stock Filter
12 (48%)
Huge 1515
8 (32%)
other?
5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: Apr 17, 2007, 11:06:45 AM

Author Topic: Tiny oil filters  (Read 8451 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny oil filters
« Reply #30 on: Apr 10, 2007, 10:19:29 PM »
I use K&N  filter   

I've used those too.  Interestingly, the k&n for the early r series is much larger than the filter for a newer r/re, and is actually the ford filter. 

I believe the engine oil turns black cause carbon from the gasoline.  :twocents:

That could also be true, but joe's right also.  Oil getting dark just means it's doing it's job and collecting impurities, but oil getting black and runny during normal intervals isn't a good sign either. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Apr 10, 2007, 10:26:46 PM »
Somebody was making an adapter so you could thread an oil filter on the front of your Mac10/ Mac11...i bet even Fram worked pretty good.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #32 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:31:15 AM »
Tiny arse stock filter.  I used the large one for awhile and it took a considerable amount of time for my motor to build oil pressure that you'd hear ticking upon start up.  I put the tiny arse stock filter back on, system pressurizes immediately.

I use cheap dino fluid, and wix filters and change the oil every 3K. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 11, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »
That could also be true, but joe's right also.  Oil getting dark just means it's doing it's job and collecting impurities, but oil getting black and runny during normal intervals isn't a good sign either. 

True there are impuities in an engine but most of the impurities are past down the rings in the cylinder in a diesel or gasoline engine weather it is unburned fuel or carbon & what ever else is in todays gas/diesel. But my experiance with cng & propane is since these engines burn so clean that the engine oil doesn't turn black but does get alittle darker, impuities. That doesn't mean the oil is good since it will breakdown & loose viscocity. I work for a fleet & I see the difference everyday between the gas, diesel, cng & propane engines. Carbon is the main factor that turn oil black.  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Apr 11, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »
Fram is one of the worst. Napa Gold and Wix are two of the best. Guess which one makes Fords?? (Wix)
napa gold is a wix filter thats who makes the napa, same as the carquest 85515, just make sure whatever filter is used it has a anti-drain back valve in it. when it comes to the paper inside the filter aviod the k+n they stick there filters together with cardboard and a light paper, the doublegaurd fram not only uses paper but a gauze material like what is in a k+n air filter over the paper, plugs up very easy, the fram in the old scool oil can pakage puts teflon into you engine which when it gets hot will turn to a solid, pick and choose the filter you use, take you time, and cut a few brands open to see the difference for your self. everybody is going to claim to have the best filter, the only thing extra to do would be put a magnet on the outside of the filter so it will trap the filling to the magnet insted of going through the engine. my 2 cents. good thread though.
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

twistedtoy92 [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Apr 11, 2007, 04:28:28 PM »
wow.... this is exactly what i wanted to get out of this thread!! Thanks for everyones  :twocents: ......... the one about the system not pressuring up with the larger, what year/type of motor is it and how many miles???  :think:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

ovrrdrive

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 11, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »
wow.... this is exactly what i wanted to get out of this thread!! Thanks for everyones  :twocents: ......... the one about the system not pressuring up with the larger, what year/type of motor is it and how many miles???  :think:

That has a lot more to do with using a cheap filter than it does size.

I use a bigger filter that has a quality anti-drainback valve in it and I see no difference in the light on start up. I tried to time it once to prove a point and it goes out so quick still that I couldn't measure it. Maybe 1/20th of a second.

If the filter stays full the oil pump doesn't know how big the filter you have on it is...

In discussing this topic I have learned that people are more stubborn about this than they are about the brand of truck they drive. Just read everything you can and make your own decision.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #37 on: Apr 11, 2007, 06:28:44 PM »
I've always used the filter made for the old Scout II's, very large capacity and they cost the same as the ones made for Toyota's I'm thinking it's PH49 I'm not sure though.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 12, 2007, 04:39:56 PM »
Im an oil filter snob. I only use Lexus filters imported from Japan. Good luck finding them lol...I have a secret source  :shhh:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 13, 2007, 02:10:52 AM »
I used some signifigantly larger lexus/landcruiser oil filters for a while, i dont know the parts number i got it off of pirate 4x4.com.....

Didnt notice any difference (compared to stock) and due to its massive size it made it a hell of a lot harder to install and remove. So i just went back to stock Napa filters.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 13, 2007, 03:16:26 AM »
I use the K&N filter it is the same filter I use on my 98 Ram with a 360.