Author Topic: Project first gen waaaaaay overdue!  (Read 62875 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Project first gen waaaaaay overdue!
« on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:07:40 PM »
Well, I've had a laundy list of mods/improvements I've wanted to do to my 80 longbed ever since I bought it, but since I finally blew up the engine (had about 365,000 miles on it and a baaad history!) on the way to work today, I'm kinda forced to do something.  I really want to do everything on my list and do it right, so I'm planning on downing the truck for quite a while since money comes in slowly and I don't have a shop.  

Please feel free to comment on my mods or make suggestions.

Paint engine bay to match truck (red truck, yellow engine bay)
finish cutting front fenders
decide if I want to bob the bed to fit shortbed shell
straighten body and paint with dupont centari red
research and install higher output alternator
remove L43 tranny and install L50/52 or g54
raise drivetrain?
dual adapter if I can find a way to buy one  :crossed: - found one!
square tube front driveline
better organize engine bay
decide on running 4.88s or 5.29s and install - have welded 5.29 rear now
rear locker if I can afford it, possibly supra limited slip in front
rebuild and paint 83 front axle, install fj40 rotors, 94 ifs calipers and marlin high steer
clean, paint and install 86 rear axle
mix up my marlin 4" springs or rears up front/f150s out back - sold marlin springs, would have sat higher than I want
build half doors (this really can wait till later, might as well add to list though)
go through spare 22r block, install new bearings if needed, clean and paint - DONE!
port 20r head and give some serious thought to running efi
mount rock lights, auxilery backup lights and possibly driving lights
ditch goofy mirrors and find smaller units
mount my 35" bfg muds on one of my sets of wheels (I have a set of alum. modulars I really wanna powder coat black)
build a nice clean front bumper
install NWOR header and magnaflow muffler, run complete 2.5" tubing without cat - DONE!

I know there's more I'm missing, so I'll hafta add it later

Here's the truck pretty much as it sits now
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010, 10:01:06 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
:woohoo: another 1st gen build cant wait for this one. Good luck  :biggthumpup:
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
purrrrrty! :eye: :eye: let me know if i can help at all!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
purrrrrty! :eye: :eye: let me know if i can help at all!

Yea, take a few weeks off, move out to california and get to work  :_order:  :haha:
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007, 08:31:05 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
What about Dual cases and lockers?
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I'm down, but my wallet isn't :yikes:

Actually, I have the welded rear I got from mark (willymammoth), but I'd like to install aussies maybe.  Just hafta wait and see how much the tax cheats wanna give me back this year!
RIP KYOTA

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:woohoo:  its about time Nate!!!
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Your fairly close Nate, if you need a hand with anything feel free to give me a call.

Whats your budget on this build?  (whatever income tax allows?)

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Yea, take a few weeks off, move out to california and get to work  :_order:  :haha:
hmmmmm vacation is coming up soon....dont tempt me :hahaha:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
right on dude, I'll be watching the build  :qtip:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Nice!! 2 1/2 years in, and here we go! :ha_ha:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Your fairly close Nate, if you need a hand with anything feel free to give me a call.

Whats your budget on this build?  (whatever income tax allows?)

Hold on, lemme see what kinda change is in the couch cushions...
Thanks for the offer of help, I'm still not sure how things are gonna go.  My compressor is over at my friends, and I'd much rather do a bunch of this in his shop, but it's occupied by my half baked motorbike project and his roommates blown up mazder truck.

May just end up going over to get my compressor and welder and using my landlord's carport.  He only shows up maybe once a month, and being a wheeler himself I don't think he'd be bothered by seeing me working on my truck there.

Nice!! 2 1/2 years in, and here we go! :ha_ha:

Dude, try over 7 years!  I've owned the truck since late 99 and accomplished almost nothing, though I did atleast build a half-assed hybrid.
RIP KYOTA

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
We're going to need pics of the carnage.  I was thinking broken piston, but since you never saw any smoke, I'm leaning more towards a roached rod bearing...

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
:yesnod: that's kinda what it sounded like!  Funny thing is, when we went to load it on the trailer it didn't sound odd till I gassed it, which I had to keep doing cause it's so cold blooded.  I'm pretty sure it's in the lower end now. 

I may try to talk picton into letting me tear it down in his shop, and I'll probably hand my camera to either him or his girlfriend so they can get a bunch of pics during tear down.  It's gonna be really hard to avoid tearing down the blowd motor and focus on the build :shudder:
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Dude, try over 7 years!  I've owned the truck since late 99 and accomplished almost nothing, though I did atleast build a half-assed hybrid.
I was just meaning since you've been on the MC.  I didn't realize you were that much of a slacker.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Here are some before shots.  Pretty damn grungy, but you hafta love the rust proofing on the undercarriage :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Never lost oil, but I don't think this looks too good considering there's probably less than 200 miles on it since the last oil change/head gasket job :ack:  When I checked it at work there were all these neat little sparklies in the oil :yikes:
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
that has got to be the dirties thing I've ever seen!  :o 

I see you have a 20R in that...do you plan to hybrid this truck?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Sir, you see I have a 20r head.....on a 22r block :haha:

Most probably be building another hybrid though, maybe try getting each rod/piston assembly within a couple grams of each other :dunno:

I'd like to see a built buick v6 in the engine bay, but that would probably cost me quite a bit more than a 3rz swap.

Toyota diesel would be my first choice, but those are few and far between, not to mention veeeeeery expensive for the one I'd wanna run.
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer

Most probably be building another hybrid though, maybe try getting each rod/piston assembly within a couple grams of each other :dunno:

I'd like to see a built buick v6 in the engine bay, but that would probably cost me quite a bit more than a 3rz swap.

Toyota diesel would be my first choice, but those are few and far between, not to mention veeeeeery expensive for the one I'd wanna run.

let's take this one piece at a time.
oops..I just saw the 20R on the valve cover.  I dunno what year it is.
  I have to say I might consider killing you if this happens...
hmmm...we shall see what unfolds...sounds tasty, though...  :drool: 

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
Nice Truck!! Good luck with the build :beerchug:

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
 Hey what is the red box in the 2nd picture on the passenger fender with the black rubber hoses going to it ?
Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Hey what is the red box in the 2nd picture on the passenger fender with the black rubber hoses going to it ?
THAT LOOKS LIKE A FUEL PUMP
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
THAT LOOKS LIKE A FUEL PUMP

:yesnod:  Electric fuel pump :thumbs:  Probably switching to a holley red sometime during the rebuild too, just got a pressure regulator the other day.  If I stay with a carbed hybrid I'll probably run the holley manifold and a 390 4 barrel, but I'd like to try the 460? truck avenger :cheese:
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Project first gen waaaaaay overdue!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »
So it'd appear I'm a bigger slacker than even I knew :_oops:  Finally pulled the blowed engine a few weeks ago.  Pulled the pan and found these neat little metal pieces on the oil pump pickup.  Started loosening rod caps to find the culprit, got to #2 and it clunked :smack:  There was absolutely no bearing left!

I kept searching for another 22r block, then finally remembered I had one in storage :shake:  Got it home the other day, checked the cylinder bores and found out it's a 20r that's been bored .60 over :eek:  Time's a wastin, so I'm going to pull the head off the blowed block and stick it on the 20r bottom for now.  I'll possibly get another 22r block later, or just tear down the bad one and rebuild it with my .50 over pistons :wink2:  That or start looking for something else...

I'll have to update the first post since I did actually snag a couple more parts, though I don't think this one will be built up for trail use necessarily.  I'd rather take one of my shortbed 2wd's and convert it so I have a better wheelbase. 

Sad update I know, but since I'm actually doing a LITTLE to this I wanted to bump this to the top.  I'll get some pics of the carnage on the old engine later too.
RIP KYOTA

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2007, 03:25:24 PM »
I say aussie's F&R with 5.29. The gears would be perfect with the 35's. Hope to see more progress pics!
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2007, 03:38:30 PM »
I say aussie's F&R with 5.29. The gears would be perfect with the 35's.

My thoughts exactly!  I was running 4.30 gears with 31s, so 5.29 and 35s would be a good deal lower.  4.88 would be nearly identical gearing but wouldn't account for the added weight.
RIP KYOTA

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2007, 05:45:56 PM »
 :whip: :whip: :whip: Lets get some work done oh and nice truck  :thumbs:

Duffil

• *lurker*