Author Topic: Project first gen waaaaaay overdue!  (Read 62891 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Project first gen waaaaaay overdue!
« Reply #90 on: Nov 24, 2007, 11:26:29 PM »
you Oregon guys must still get the old stuff...in CA we have just "superclean" now...no longer made by castrol, and with a different formulation to make it greenie OK. ::)

No kiddin :shake:  I like the old carb cleaners, b12 and such.  The new stuff just doesn't work as well :down:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Dec 18, 2007, 07:24:05 PM »
Made a tiny bit of progress tonight, still a long way from finished though.  I'm prepping a toy engine for it now, just to get it road worthy incase it snows, plus I just miss my poor truck!  I really need to replace the parking brake cable before I install the engine though, should be a bit easier. 

I still need to drain the gas out of the tank and get some new stuff before I crack this off again.  That gas is a year old and wasn't good to begin with. 

Once I get this engine installed I'm probably only going to run the oil for a week or so since it's been sitting so long, may throw some sea foam in with the oil to help loosen up any gunk that may have been built up in there, then change the oil a couple more times.  I want it to be clean despite being a temporary engine, especially with my tendency to procrastinate :shake:

I'd post pics but there isn't anything going on right now that's picture worthy, but I'll snap some as I start slapping the engine together and post as I go.

Back out to pull the good head and scrape off the head gasket, which will hopefully surrender like the french since it was only run for maybe 100 miles or so :wave:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Dec 18, 2007, 07:43:39 PM »
sea foam as in the white stuff you find on the beach?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »
Sea foam as in the stuff you get in a can at the parts store.  You can get it in either a poor style and poor it in your gas, your oil or intake, or a spray can to spray into the intake or use as an all around good lubricant.  Look it up, it's good stuff!

Block is ready to go, just need to give it a final wipe down.  Head is off and mostly cleaned, just need to get a head gasket.  I'm really wishing I'd ordered one from my brother a while back so it was already here, I'm still leery of using a fel pro in this thing, but if it snows that's probably what'll happen  :crossed:
RIP KYOTA

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:22:58 PM »
sounds good, ill check it out and see what the hype is about

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:49:07 PM »
I can tell you both personally and professionally, the stuff is bitchin!  I use deep creep on a regular basis at work (deep creep is just sprayable sea foam) and it works well.  Gotta love something that you can spray on your gun then spray through your intake to clean your engine  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:15:09 PM »
damn that sounds fancy, now im even more interested

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #97 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:06:51 PM »
damn that sounds fancy, now im even more interested
at 7 bucks a can, ya its fancy.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:47:47 AM »
Just got my toyota head gasket :thumbs:  Soon as I get back from finishing up my xmas shopping I'll be putting the engine back together.  It's been sitting for quite a while so I'm going to replace the front and rear main seals, maybe the pan gasket if I find one.  I don't want this thing leaking a drop!
RIP KYOTA

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Dec 22, 2007, 11:33:02 AM »
...maybe the pan gasket if I find one.  I don't want this thing leaking a drop!

FIPG.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2007, 12:05:18 PM by te51levin »

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Dec 22, 2007, 03:54:14 PM »
FIPG.

:thumbs:  For sure!  Got a tube sitting out there right now, should probably bring it back in since it's so damn cold lately.

On a side note, got some flux core wire for the welder today, some tips and anti-spatter spray.  Hopefully this thing will work now!
RIP KYOTA

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Dec 22, 2007, 04:17:18 PM »
I meant to use FIPG in place of the gasket, not on it.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Dec 22, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »
Ah, I see.  Welder is still spitting  :shake:
RIP KYOTA

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Dec 22, 2007, 07:20:31 PM »
i've never had luck with fluxcore wire :dunno:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Dec 22, 2007, 07:54:40 PM »
It coughed and sputtered with solid core and gas, so I got flux core in hopes that it was a gas issue since I couldn't hear it purging.  It's acting just the same. 

We have a suitcase welder at work that I love using.  I got lucky and found one for $325 once, which sure beats the $1700 price tag!  We got a spool of flux core once and I had to make a battery tray for one of the boats with it.  I was actually surprised by how nice the welds came out, but they still weren't as pretty as they were with gas.
RIP KYOTA

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:11:11 PM »
check the tube that the the feed wire is in or the tension . its been a while since ive been in class and i forgot the technical names off the top of my head, but that could be something to look at...

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:18:29 PM »
I have to double check that, but it seems like it was correct :dunno:

After getting into the switch (dumb thing to do when it's dark and you're tired already :shake: ) it looks as if the switch in the gun might be bad.  Pisser is I don't have a manual, and the online manual doesn't offer much help and locks up my computer since it's a pdf file.
RIP KYOTA

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:21:59 PM »
lol thats sucky...what kind of welder is it? miller?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:48:18 PM »
Hobart handler 135.  Not sure if they with it or not out of convenience, but it has a miller gun.  Kinda wondering if it's stock or was changed out later for something similar.  If I'd torn into it earlier I could have swung by the place that sells these and got some trigger parts, or even looked at a better pic, but I didn't do it early enough.  Not it'll have to wait till atleast wednesday.  My friend has a miller thunderbolt (or something similar) arc welder that just needs the end of the lead or something, I might see if he'll let me borrow it if I split the parts cost with him.  I know I saw the ground and work lead ends at home depot.
RIP KYOTA

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »
yea, good luck with all that

call hobart or go to their webpage and see if you can get a manuel from them for reference if you need one

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:05:42 PM »
Werd, if I can't get it figured out before wednesday!
RIP KYOTA

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:06:56 PM »
haha yea, where you live? so-cal?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:14:16 PM »
Redding baby, redding.  Hella norcal style for days dude  :rofl2: 
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:18:15 PM »
Oh yea, got my 4.7 case in the mail today  :woohoo:  Now I just have to decide if I'm going to upgrade to my g54 and use this case or use an L52 and trade this forward shift for a friend's top shift 4.7 case. 
RIP KYOTA

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:20:39 PM »
Redding baby, redding.  Hella norcal style for days dude  :rofl2: 

nice,,, if you get in a real pinch you can cruise down to chico and use my stick welder if you need to.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:35:44 PM »
Thanks man!  I'd love to borrow the welding truck from work and use the suitcase like my old one, but I doubt the boss is down for that.  I do think he'll let me borrow the steam cleaner to clean this thing up though  :crossed:
RIP KYOTA

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:37:42 PM »
i hear ya, i wish i could borrow out welding truck. or the generator we use for welding on the truck. its so sick. you can run mig, tig, smaw, plasma cut, and so on. its the miller bobcat and its a beast. i wish i had that here at my house.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #117 on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:11:32 AM »
L52 :woohoo:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »
It's lookin that way.  Then I could sell my g54 and have a few bucks to but various other little parts I need to make this thing better  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:58:51 PM »
Another little teaser.  Spent some time on the engine today.  Cleaned and re-cleaned the block and head surfaces, cleaned the oil and gunk out of the head bolt holes then re-tapped the threads, crossed my fingers and put the two together then adjusted the valves.

Here's how it sits now.  Getting closer!
RIP KYOTA