Author Topic: Got cancer, started my exocage  (Read 11666 times)

TheBandit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 174
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile
    • www.xtremefabricator.com
Got cancer, started my exocage
« on: Nov 05, 2006, 11:35:59 PM »
A couple weeks ago I was diagnosed with Hodgkins lympoma. As far as cancer goes, this is about the best you could ask for (prognosis wise), but my life has still turned upside down. The oncologist says my treatment (radiation and possibly chemo) will start soon, so I wanted to do this while I can to get my mind off things.

Here goes...

First I bent the two B pillars, but I forgot about the camera until they were already done, so let's start with the two A-pillars (below).

(Below) Here I am fitting one of the A-pillars.

(Below) The cage is 1-3/4x0.120 HREW. At the back of each A-pillar, I inserted some 1-1/2x0.095 tubing and plug welded it in three places around the tube. Later I will build the back half of the cage starting from these splices.

(Below) Cleanin' up the plug welds with a pearl pad.

(Below) Lots of welding and fitting.

(Below) I used some magnets to help keep the cab spacing right.

(Below) While I don't encourage it, I used a wet towel while welding to keep spatter off the windshield and body.

(Below) My welds aren't spectacular, but they should hold fine.

That's as far as I got this weekend. I should mention that while I welded as much as I could on the two cross braces, the A & B pillars are only tack welded at the bottom. When I am done doing the cross bracing, I'll break those tacks and pull the whole thing off to finish welding all the backsides.

I'll take some daytime pictures later this week. Depending on when my treatment starts, I'll pick up on this project again in two weeks. There is a lot left to build so please don't tell me how much cross bracing it needs until I'm done.

*EDIT* Added some daytime shots below

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2006, 07:01:23 PM by TheBandit »

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
Re: Got cancer, started my exocage
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2006, 04:49:12 AM »
Looks good! Keep up the good work and don't let anything get you down.

Can't wait to see progress!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Racer-X

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2006, 05:00:05 AM »
holy cow!

You look quite young, how old are you?

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2006, 05:42:43 AM »
Thats a great start on the exo cage can't wait to see more progress. I hope everything goes as well as possible whith the treatment. Good luck and best whishes.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

4runner freak

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -301
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Finally started building my truck
    • View Profile
    • My Build Up
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2006, 06:31:00 AM »
Bandit,
Sorry to here about the Hodgkins, as you go through you treatments make sure you have family and loved ones close. My wife went through a year of chemo (at 25) for melanoma(stage 3 skin cancer) and she said that it is always a little easier when you have someone to rely on to be there with you. Good luck with the treatments.

Oh, and on a non-important topic, the cage looks good. Looks like your bender is working well.
I wish that I could have a good personally usable senior design project like that(We are designing a Chassis Dyno, CU at Denver).
Finally got my '85 4runner!
Let the buildup begin!
Working on DUAL-TRANNYS
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=862345

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2006, 07:35:50 AM »
Bandit,  the cage looks good, 

dont let the treatments get you down,  i  had lymphnodes removed  2 years ago, luckily  i didnt require chemo 

our prayers  are with ya bud
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2006, 07:50:05 AM »
awsome cage ,,,sorry to hear about your cancer  i have a friend  that had the same thing  its been four years for him  no cancer  has come back    my family prays for your  health

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2006, 08:44:36 AM »
Looks good and don't let it get you down.  Many people have gone through the same treatment with great success.  My nephew who is 7 years old had leukemia and he is now in remission.  Good luck.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2006, 08:45:45 AM »
Were you at the Surf N Turf

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2006, 10:02:40 AM »
Cage is coming along awesome, love you bender. Be strong, you will pull throw it. You are in are prayers  :)
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2006, 11:29:10 AM »
I've had several people with similar cancer and are in remission for many years now!  One friend who had severe radiation in her lower back when she was 12, and was told that there is a 99.9% chance that she will never ever have children.  Well, she's in her mid 20's and has three kids and is trying to convice her husband to have 1 more!  So, good luck!  Alot of positive energy aims towards ya, as long as you stay positive and do as the Dr. says!  My dad died of inoperable mastastised prostate cancer this last summer!  So, have alot of faith and family is important! 

Lighter side of things, I LOVE YOUR GRILL GUARD!  That rocks!!  That is got to be the best looking guard I've seen!  You do good work!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

genericposter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Mar '05
  • r0ar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2006, 11:37:48 AM »
Sorry to hear about the cancer. Take care of yourself and get the hard stuff done now so you don't have to strain yourself later on.
84 4Runner - 4.88s, Rear Locker, 33"s
Senior Airman USAF
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2006, 01:37:06 PM »
Dang man! I like the way you subtly worked that in there!

I don't know if it matters to you, but, you'll be in my prayers.

Take care
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

TheBandit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2006, 04:23:05 PM »
Thanks everybody for all the encouragement. Cancer sucks, but with your prayers and a little optimism it will only be a bump in the road.

I am 23 yrs old. Apparently Hodgkins is bimodal - there is a younger age group and an older age group that gets it. I noticed a lump on my neck and it turned out to be one of about a dozen affected lymph nodes. So far I've been through a gammet of blood tests, surgery for biopsy, PET/CT scan, x-rays, etc etc. It's definitely not unbeatable and I am ready to kick it's ass, it's just gonna take some work.

4RunnerFreak, best wishes to you and your wife. I hope she is recovering and lives a long happy life!

Hotrod81, your nephew is SO fortunate. I am glad to hear he is in remission and I hope some day they will be able to call it CURED.

cheesemaker, I am very sorry to hear about your dad. I can't imagine losing someone that close. But I am glad you know so many people who have been able to beat it. Your prayers are appreciated! And thank you for the complements on my front bumper :)

As far as the cage goes, I am open to input/criticism. I kinda have an idea in my head already of how I'm going to do it. The roof will look like this /|\ and I'm going to add some smaller (1" or 1-1/4") pieces for corner gussets. I am going to at least tack a vertical tube in front of the windshield to see how bad it affects visibility. I'm thinking about using 1-1/4 tubing for that, but I'm not sure.

Thanks everyone for sending your positive vibes my way. It never hurts. I'm fortunate to have great family and friends to help me through this rather difficult time in my life.

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2006, 04:35:06 PM »
WhyTF does :pokinit: like this happen to people with such natural talent :mad: (to anyone for that matter). Dont know you but from various forum convo's, but I'm betting that just by the type of person you are you will overcome this just like any other obstacle or challenge you've faced. good luck -Kyle

btw cage looks awesome as usuall

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2006, 05:44:15 PM »
Awesome work! :thumbs:   Can't wait to see the rest of it :yupyup:

We'll be here when you're better, so focus on that.  I'm sure you'll beat it, just keep family and friends close by :thumbs:

My prayers are going out to ya!
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2006, 06:53:32 PM »
I love that bumper, very cool.......  good luck on the other issue nothin' a young buck can't beat.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2006, 07:42:25 PM »
The key to beating any cancer is the will to fight it and the positive attitude you carry. Hang in there, it will get better.

( NICE WORK )
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

kajo4x4toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2006, 09:12:04 PM »
Bandit,

Seems we hav alot in common, I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma almost 5 years ago. My daugter was 2 months old. I went through 8 month's of chemo and 1 month of Radiation. Just hit 4 years or remission, 1 more year and I will be considered "Cured". It slowed me down a little during the treatments and I can't run like I used to but everyday I wake up happy to be alive. Do what the Doc's tell you to do and get plenty of rest. I remember setting up third members and building my first ultimate crawler during the chemo, I worked 30 minutes and rested an hour. Yu are in my prayers and If you need any words of encouragement from a fellow xo-caged 4Runner owner that has been there, let me know.

Cage work is lookin' good.
1985 exo-runner

TheBandit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2006, 12:16:51 AM »
KYOTA - I know it's unfortunate, but it could be a lot worse. Lots of people have it much worse than I do, so I am just thankful it is a treatable illness and I have a very good chance of recovering from it. Thanks for the complements on the cage! It means a lot coming from you - yours turned out bitchin'

Blackdog - Thanks for the complements! My family has been very supportive. They have been visiting every weekend and taking time off from work to drive up and go to doctors with me. I couldn't ask for better.

Rocksurfer - Appreciate the kind words. I have another thread somewhere here with details on building the bumper and lots of pics if you want me to dig it up I can.

Plowking - Thanks :)

kajo4x4toy - Wow, I had no idea. Congratulations on getting through it and building some awesome wheelers since. You know how much I like your 4Runner and your old truggy was my favorite. Don't be surprised if you come across more similarities as I continue building mine. I doubt it will turn out as nice, but I will try! Thanks for the encouragement.

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2006, 05:55:55 AM »
That cage looks really good.. one question for you though.... wasnst welding that close hurt your body paint because of the extreme heat??

Best of luck on your fight against cancer, all of us know you will pull through it, you will be fine and will keep doing great things for the rest of your life

military_stang

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2006, 09:37:48 AM »
I think that I am going to copy the design of your front bumper, I really like it.  Will it be fitted with a winch?

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2006, 11:17:28 AM »
That cage looks really good.. one question for you though.... wasnst welding that close hurt your body paint because of the extreme heat??

military_stang

He said he used a wet towel, and not recommended!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:38:28 PM »
dood that sucks my best wishes go out to you for a speady recovery,
oh and by the way the cage looks like a very good start

TheBandit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2006, 08:24:03 PM »

Yes, that's why I soaked a towel in cold water. Some of the pictures show me welding before I got the towel because I forgot about it early on.

I think that I am going to copy the design of your front bumper, I really like it.  Will it be fitted with a winch?

I would be flattered. Yes eventually it will be fitted with a winch, but that is low priority due to cost. I can make a duplicate of this bumper pretty easily because I designed it using Bend Tech.

dood that sucks my best wishes go out to you for a speady recovery,
oh and by the way the cage looks like a very good start

Thanks!

Here are some pictures from yesterday. It was really exhausting making these few pices.

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2006, 08:44:03 PM »
I like.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

TheBandit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2006, 11:47:38 AM »
:thumbs:
The exo looks great.  8) I am planning to start exo my soon. The only area that might be of concern is the A pillar tube into the fender tube and not the frame. :dunno:  From an engineering standpoint, is there much if any difference between connecting at the fender tube then to the frame versus a a single tube to the frame. :dunno:

My wife was diagnosed last year at 36 with thyroid cancer. After a small surgery, she is doing great! :crossed: I was so impressed with the advances in medical treatment. Keep a positive attitude and you can beat it. :)
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2006, 12:59:12 PM »
Its looken sweet man
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2006, 10:36:47 PM »
Just finished the front part of mine too.  The wet towel Idea I used for the last part after reading your post.  Why do you not recommend?  I thought it worked great!

I ran out of tube before I got the tube across the cowl that's why it's not painted and the rest is.  The rest was done a couple weeks ago and I been waiting on fundage to get more tube.  Now I'm waiting on better weather :tantrum:

The welds on yours do look a little cold though.  Mine have heat discoloration a long way from the welds.  I don't think it will be a big issue since I've seen what a good notch and just a couple tack welds are capable of when trying to get mine apart :maddest: :mad: :gap:

Reading about you designing a bender over on Pirate is the first time I ever even thought about bending tube in my life. 

Stay positive and you will be fine.  You're way too young for that stuff to take hold.  Aggressive chemo kicks a$$ and when you're young and in good shape they can be very aggressive.  You will be fine in a couple months. :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006, 08:25:31 AM by RRMike »