Author Topic: Gotrocks Buggy Build. Engine transplant!!  (Read 78293 times)

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Re: Gotrocks Buggy Build. Engine transplant!!
« Reply #210 on: Jan 04, 2009, 10:09:57 AM »
bd

The LQ4 is designed off of the LS1 engine.  When they made the switch to go to a coil up plug ignition setup for the truck line they completely redesigned the cast iron engine line.  For simplicity sake and design costs EVERY component that the aluminum LSx motors have will bolt on the cast iron blocks.  I have taken off the tall cathedral style intake (for torque) that the LQ4 and LQ9 motors have and replaced it with the short runner style from an LS6 along with (for space constraints) an ls6 oil pan from a camaro, as well as the fuel rails and injectors off an 98 z06 LS1 Corvette.  A common setup that many of the truck guys are doing to their LQ4 motors are putting the new 6.2 aluminum heads on the LQ4 block.  This makes my motor into the same specs as the new 6.2 that the ZR1 corvette has just with a cast iron block and of course without the supercharger.  All the new 6.2 GM motors have a 6.0 bottom end with the with different displacement heads and larger valving. 

Because of all these commonalities that the new truck motors have I decided to go with the LQ4 motor.  I wanted an aluminum LS series motor very bad because of the light weight but I couldn't find one for under 5 grand with all the stuff I was able to get my motor with.  To get another 100 HP out of this engine I might throw a cam in later and get the right HP and TQ curves I'm looking for.  WWU is getting an brand new Mustang all wheel Dyno and once we get it installed I will be doing a complete remapping of my fuel and ignition curves to match my new exhaust and intake changes that I will have made to the engine.  When I'm done my maps should be much closer to the corvette and camaro's than to the trucks maps.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Jan 04, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »
bd

The LQ4 is designed off of the LS1 engine.  When they made the switch to go to a coil up plug ignition setup for the truck line they completely redesigned the cast iron engine line.  For simplicity sake and design costs EVERY component that the aluminum LSx motors have will bolt on the cast iron blocks.  I have taken off the tall cathedral style intake (for torque) that the LQ4 and LQ9 motors have and replaced it with the short runner style from an LS6 along with (for space constraints) an ls6 oil pan from a camaro, as well as the fuel rails and injectors off an 98 z06 LS1 Corvette.  A common setup that many of the truck guys are doing to their LQ4 motors are putting the new 6.2 aluminum heads on the LQ4 block.  This makes my motor into the same specs as the new 6.2 that the ZR1 corvette has just with a cast iron block and of course without the supercharger.  All the new 6.2 GM motors have a 6.0 bottom end with the with different displacement heads and larger valving. 

Because of all these commonalities that the new truck motors have I decided to go with the LQ4 motor.  I wanted an aluminum LS series motor very bad because of the light weight but I couldn't find one for under 5 grand with all the stuff I was able to get my motor with.  To get another 100 HP out of this engine I might throw a cam in later and get the right HP and TQ curves I'm looking for.  WWU is getting an brand new Mustang all wheel Dyno and once we get it installed I will be doing a complete remapping of my fuel and ignition curves to match my new exhaust and intake changes that I will have made to the engine.  When I'm done my maps should be much closer to the corvette and camaro's than to the trucks maps.

:biggthumpup:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »
 :thumbs: that is sick man.... I cant wait to hear it... hopefully we will see ya at the round-up this year
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:01:47 PM »
I hope to we'll see. I'll have a new job I don't know if I can get the time off.

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »
Man, how do you afford this sweet stuff?! You're in school and doing this? Ballin'!!!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
My dad invested money when I was young and so I have money from a trust fund until I get out of school.  God has blessed my family a lot and I really try not to take it for granted. 

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #216 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:33:30 PM »
TFB
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:54:29 PM »
My dad invested money when I was young and so I have money from a trust fund until I get out of school.  God has blessed my family a lot and I really try not to take it for granted. 

That's awesome! We are all very blessed to be able to wheel, and I'm glad you seem to have a level head about it all. Makes it easier to swallow when nice people go far.

Enough mushy, though. How's the swap going? Where dem pics at?!!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:33:03 AM »
Thanks for the compliment.  It means a lot.  Many people who don't know me have gotten the wrong idea about me growing up that I am some snobby rich kid but actually my dad and mom have made sure I know that nothing is owed to me and that I needed to know how to earn my keep as well.  Nearly all my 4wheeling stuff I own is because of buying and selling over the years and making the right decisions.  They have helped me out some but I have done most of the work to buy and make what I have in terms of wheeling stuff.  When I graduate in June I will be working very hard to make money and hope to build my dad a hot rod someday to thank him for all the hard work he's done over the years to support me growing up and being a great dad.  He doesn't understand the whole 4wheeling thing but thats ok.  He is still a big horsepower kind of guy and he would love to have a hot rod to just polish, look at and go cruise in.

Back on track in regards to the buggy though:
I am finishing up another quick project at the moment but will be going strong on the buggy by next week. It has to be done for my senior project this quarter and I have to complete my hours in to get my grade.

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »
buying and selling over the years and making the right decisions. 
So you do investments, like stocks and whatnot? Please forgive me if I'm nosing in on your business. I'm just curious how people fund their hobbies.

I, too, would like to give my parents something cool one day. They've helped me along quite a bit, both financially and with sound advice and guidance. My dad isn't really into wheeling, either, but he has a 64 Belair that was his first car that I know he'd be stoked to have fixed up. We'll see what I can do :eyebrow:

Sorry for the sidetrack. Good luck with your project. I understand how projects and school get in the way of wheelin'.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:50:07 PM »
So you do investments, like stocks and whatnot? Please forgive me if I'm nosing in on your business. I'm just curious how people fund their hobbies.

Sorry for the sidetrack. Good luck with your project. I understand how projects and school get in the way of wheelin'.

Yes I do some but I was referring more to buying and selling projects and parts. 

Oh and when I was talking about projects I was not saying that its in the way of school.  This engine transplant it actually my senior project FOR school.  Since I am a Auto and Business major I have to do a project for my auto degree.  What makes is so fun is that I get to go have fun with all my hard work and not just a grade when I'm done. 

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Apr 13, 2009, 02:06:38 AM »
Yes I do some but I was referring more to buying and selling projects and parts. 

Oh and when I was talking about projects I was not saying that its in the way of school.  This engine transplant it actually my senior project FOR school.  Since I am a Auto and Business major I have to do a project for my auto degree.  What makes is so fun is that I get to go have fun with all my hard work and not just a grade when I'm done. 

Haha Omg that's the way to do it!  I know what I'm doing with my GI Bill :yesnod:
Go 1-Ton from the start

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #222 on: Apr 13, 2009, 03:50:59 AM »
wow thats alot of moding just to fit that moter   :beerchug:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Apr 13, 2009, 11:10:06 AM »
Thanks for the bump guys.  I will update the thread within the next couple days.  I got the project done and flogged it in Moab for a week.  It performed flawlessly and I don't know how I'd ever have less horsepower again. 

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
where's the updates?!?!?

Did gotrocks fall off the face of the earth or what?!

Married Life!  PSSSHHH   :)
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #225 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
:haha:

where's the updates?!?!?

Forgot about this thing.... WHERE YA GO GR?!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
where's the updates?!?!?

Married Life!  PSSSHHH   :)

The gotrocks family includes a pebbles...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #227 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »
where's the updates?!?!?

The gotrocks family includes a pebbles...

Figured.  That what happens when the kids roll in :D  I know, I've got 2.  Congrats GotRocks!
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »
nice, congrats!  I know how that is... kids take up alot of time... definently young ones.

BD tell him to get his arse on here once in a while!

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Feb 04, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »
nice, congrats!  I know how that is... kids take up alot of time... definently young ones.

Who said I've talked to him recently?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:18:26 PM »
nice, congrats!  I know how that is... kids take up alot of time... definently young ones.

Sorry for the leave of absence.  Been a bit busy recently.  I graduated with my bachelors degree, we moved, got a new job, had a baby (well my wife did), working on building a new house, starting a business, etc etc.  

Yeah so very busy.

We had a little baby girl and her name is Willow.  She was born Oct. 22, 2009 at a whopping 6 lb 10oz.  Angela and I have had so much fun with her and love every minute.  She is the most smiley happy baby and God truly blessed us with a great little girl.

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2010, 05:35:02 PM by gotrocks »

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:29:01 PM »
In terms of the buggy however, it has gone through some changes too.  Since my last post, it has been to Moab, Browns Camp, and KOH.  We just got back on Sunday and has a blast down there.  The plan is to build a new chassis that we will compete in next year at KOH.  I believe I've got all the bugs worked out of the buggy, minus needing a new fuel cell.  I've been pleaged with this one leaking at the welds, and after years of patching it, it will be getting a bladder type fuel cell.

Here are some recent pictures of whats been done, and how it looks as of last week in order of events.

Nearly completed fab work.

Playing around in Moab March 2009

Some waterfall climbs on Pritchet Canyon

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
Too bad I didn't know you were at KOH. Would have liked to meet you and had a  :beer: or  :beer: :beer:. Saw some people from here out there but, I was either going the other way or way too far away to talk to them.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »
Getting a little throttle happy!

I climbed up the waterfall on Upper Hellderado un-assisted, but only have a video and i need to get it on YouTube.  But here are the pictures of the waterfall if people haven't seen it.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
Too bad I didn't know you were at KOH. Would have liked to meet you and had a  :beer: or  :beer: :beer:. Saw some people from here out there but, I was either going the other way or way too far away to talk to them.

Yeah I would've love to have met you as well.  We plan on being down there next year for about a week and a half.  The goal is to get our new chassis up and going within the next few months, and I should be back down there this fall to do some test and tuneing.  I don't know the area very well and would love to meet up with a few guys to learn the trails.  Johnson Valley was amazing and I can't believe I've never gone there before.  We will be doing a lot of prep for next years race, and might have a few cars in the race hopefully.

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:10:53 PM »
Yeah I would've love to have met you as well.  We plan on being down there next year for about a week and a half.  The goal is to get our new chassis up and going within the next few months, and I should be back down there this fall to do some test and tuneing.  I don't know the area very well and would love to meet up with a few guys to learn the trails.  Johnson Valley was amazing and I can't believe I've never gone there before.  We will be doing a lot of prep for next years race, and might have a few cars in the race hopefully.

Sounds good, let me know when you plan on coming down this fall.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:12:58 PM »
Here's a few more Random shots from Moab.

My buddy's FJ-40 I just put a LS1 in

Taking a really tough line in Coyote Canyon

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »
At KOH.

I finally got the hood, grill and headlights mounted!  Sorry no action shots.

Look Familiar?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »
Few show wheeling shots from last spring.  We were the first tracks after the gate was open at midnight on April 1.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »
Sounds good, let me know when you plan on coming down this fall.

I will.  I haven't looked, but didn't you say you were going to build a buggy?