Author Topic: Suggestions for lift/high steer on a DD  (Read 4428 times)

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
Suggestions for lift/high steer on a DD
« on: Jul 12, 2016, 09:17:07 AM »
Hi all....looking from some suggestions/advise from some experienced folks on a 1st gen suspension on my 80 longbed.   I currently have a Rough Country lift (I think it's 3" but not 100% sure), stock push-pull steering, torsion bar attached, and no steering stabilizer.   Off and on over the past month or so, I've been under my truck quite a bit battling an ongoing drivetrain issue.....but that's another story.  While down there I have become less and less happy with the RC lift, it's sagging a little on front driver side and I can see a u-bolt has moved a 1/4" at some point on the rear as well. 

I had an 81 a few years back and never upgraded from stock steering and only slightly beefed up suspension by adding overload springs from the back of a 3rd gen I had wrecked to the stack on the 1st gen....that was a rough ride but corrected some sagging in the old stack.  The steering continued to worsen over the life of the truck and was pretty sloppy when I finally got rid of it, so I'm thinking about alternatives with my current situation.

So, what would you guys suggest for a DD in Oakland that sees a fair amount of highway on weekends?  I believe I want high steer and shortest lift needed to support steering.  I like the tight suspension and don't care much about flex.  I do 4 wheel some but nothing out of control....as I do have to get to work in this thing.  My objectives are replace the current set-up with something that handles well and will last....is one of the Skye packages with RUF-like springs, high-steer, and IFS box/mount my best option?  And here's a rookie question, how do the high steer systems handle compared to the push/pull?.....my current one isn't bad but my last one was so worn anything would have been an improvement. 

I was planning on having a shop near me in Alameda put this on for as I don't have access to torch/welder and have never done the box mount...which sounds a little tricky.  The shop is called Shaffer's Offroad in Alameda; anyone ever heard of them?

Thanks for any input in advance
1980 long bed; 20R; L52; 3" OME; 30-spline Marfields; Marlin high steer; PS; AC

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for lift/high steer on a DD
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2016, 04:00:43 PM »
If I was you I would use heavy duty emu springs all around with slightly longer shackles.  Emu rides nice and is a good value for the money.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »
If I was you I would use heavy duty emu springs all around with slightly longer shackles.  Emu rides nice and is a good value for the money.

Alright, there's one for EMU springs....still need shocks, shackles, and complete steering.  Here are EMU options for 1st and 2nd gen pick-up everyone's reference.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
Bilstiens are nice but unfortunately I've had really great luck with the big, stupid, yellow, generic looking monroes.  They sell them re-boxed at Napa as the "Gas Grande" and the warrantee is great.  I am currently using some 13" stroke made for super duty fords.  Valving is just about right for a lifted Toyota. You can look over an application guide and look for the ends and extension/compression you need for however your stuff ends up.

Shackles from Marlin or Allpro, whoever.  I would use 5"-6" hole to hole for your shackles.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2016, 11:22:11 AM »
Just did a variation of the the RUF/Chevy rears on my kids '92 with hi-steer.  It sits fairly low and we are pleased with the results so far.  Still need a few bits, like boomerang shackles, a flat pitman arm and shock mounting.  This setup would be totally viable for DD.  I have a taller version of it on my 4runner and I have been daily driving it off and on for years.

Here is a link:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100634.msg1125252#new
– Steve McQueen

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2016, 11:47:53 AM »
Just did a variation of the the RUF/Chevy rears on my kids '92 with hi-steer.  It sits fairly low and we are pleased with the results so far.  Still need a few bits, like boomerang shackles, a flat pitman arm and shock mounting.  This setup would be totally viable for DD.  I have a taller version of it on my 4runner and I have been daily driving it off and on for years.

Here is a link:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100634.msg1125252#new

Probably save me a little  :twocents: too.  Man, you guys really got after that job and put that thing together in a timely fashion. :clap:

Your son looks pretty happy driving through that water; I could see him smiling in the one picture.....that's gotta make you feel good to do something like that for him.  You're a good father and looks like you gotta great kid too!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
Thanks. He is really enjoying it.  He had collected and paid for most of the parts himself so he really earned it. 

Well I thought I would throw that out there since it seems to be turning out really good and it a lower lift with hi-steer that would be ideal for DD.  The emus are really a value for the money and perform great as a bolt on.  Arguably the RUFs are cheaper and can be just as good but probably take more fabing and messing around.

Lessons learned from Caleb's truck are to use an early solid axle frame or 2WD frame, which you already have, get a flat pitman arm if you intend on a low ride height and shackles will hit the body mounts with this setup.  We probably could have avoided this with the springs pushed further to the front but the steering box would have had to occupy the same space as the front most body mount.  I did this on my 4runner and I don't think it's worth re-fabbing the body mounts just to get the front end an inch further up.  Boomerang shackles are an easier fix or just trimming the back of the body mounts.

Were you looking more for bolt on ease or are you wanting to fabricate?
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2016, 01:25:25 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2016, 10:17:37 PM »
Well truth is I'm going to have pay someone to install.  I used to use my father's welder and torch (along with his good insight) when I lived in Memphis, but I moved to Oakland, CA about a year ago. I don't know anyone that works on stuff out here......gotta bunch of white collar friends with clean fingernails.

That said, the Rough Country lift that on it now has required the hangers be moved and welding job is lacking a little in my opinion.  So I need cutting/grinding/welding for both suspension and for IFS box mount.....I could put everything on myself aside from those pieces but that's not really an option given the process....unless I spent a couple hundred having it towed back and forth.  I could build the spring stack though and them to hang it.  I talked to shop this afternoon, and guy there said this......

He has a buddy with OME's on a Yota and says they ride like crap and are better on heavier vehicles.  He wasn't knocking them, just saying they work better on other applications.  Also, he said Sky has been notoriously on backorder or shorting parts in shipments lately.  He knew another guy whose been waiting on backorder parts for 8 months now and can't get money back.  Again, he said they make killer stuff, if it's in stock and can ship immediately.  He suggested just buying everything from Marlin or TG, knowing that everything will work OK together.  I personally don't want to buy TG.  Does M/C even sell springs? I bet they would build a set in the shop, but I don't know if they offer any for sale to public.  I plan to call Sky in the next couple of days and see what they say as far as inventory goes.

Anybody got anything to say about ProComp kit?  $750 for 4" lift kit (4 springs, 4 shocks, u-bolt) and free shipping.

http://4wheelonline.com/pro-comp-toyota-pu-4runner-lift-kits.21912.0

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2016, 07:27:37 AM »
The Pro Comp stuff will be very much like your Rough Country.  HD EMUs can ride rough on lighter rigs, but you can peel a leaf out or just order the medium rate. A guy in Seattle (Hellipilot is his handle here) had EMU on his solid axle 4runner.  He would be a good guy to ask.  His 4runner is usinf pretty typical EMU springs and ended up with the typical lift.  You should find him and send him a PM.

I have been running EMU springs for years, originally a set of medium rate on the rear of a 1994 pickup and I use the same springs with a few other leaves mixed in for mu RUF on the 4runner,  I can tell you they do not ride rough.  If anything they ride smoother than stock.

I put EMU on a buddy's Tacoma a few years back that he uses on his farm,  we chose medium rate springs and it definitely rides better than stock.

I have heard the rough ride complaint before and I can only assume it's when guys use the heavy duty springs in an application that just doesn't need them because I have just never experienced that myself.
– Steve McQueen