Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392779 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #510 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:40:03 PM »
I made a little more progress today... adjusted valve lash, installed V-belts, attached fan.

Just to make sure, :)bestgen4runner, I think the black larger gauge wire is the ground wire, but I can't remember where it was bolted to the engine?

I think it was bolted to the top bolt of the driver's side motor mount to block.

Where is your's bolted??

Thanks,

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »
My truck is parked at a customer's house so I can't look at it until Saturday.
It goes to the block for sure
I have seen it bolted to the engine mount and the power steering bracket.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #512 on: Feb 24, 2017, 03:25:17 AM »
My truck is parked at a customer's house so I can't look at it until Saturday.
It goes to the block for sure
I have seen it bolted to the engine mount and the power steering bracket.

Okie Dokie... thank YOU!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #513 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »
I had to cut this hose (I think its a Fuel Return Hose) off as I raised the engine from the bay as I was pulling it.  I now have to insert a duel barbed connector, insert a piece of new soft fuel hose, in order to get it connected to the 1/4" nipple on the damper connected to the injector rail.  The hose is very very hard... no doubt the original hose.  I even tried my super hot water trick to soften it, but it remained too hard to push over the nipple.

I'm not sure yet what smaller hose that attaches to the smaller nipple on the front face of the damper.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks,

Gnarls.

just small fuel hose

you were right its the return hose.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #514 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:26:18 AM »
just small fuel hose

you were right its the return hose.

Thanks, 79coyotefrg.

Gnarls.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: Feb 25, 2017, 09:48:24 PM »
I have my ground attached to the power steering bracket. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #516 on: Feb 26, 2017, 04:02:45 AM »
I have my ground attached to the power steering bracket. 

Thanks, Cheesemaker.  Yeah, I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it gets a good ground connection.

Gnarls.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: Feb 27, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »
I also have my alternator ground wire on the alternator as that's where it was when I first bought the truck. One thing I did when I did my rebuild was install studs top and bottom where the starter is before putting on the intake manifolds.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #518 on: Feb 27, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
..... One thing I did when I did my rebuild was install studs top and bottom where the starter is before putting on the intake manifolds.

Hmmmmm.... good idea!

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #519 on: Mar 05, 2017, 06:31:01 AM »
UPDATE 3-5-17 Sunday AM

I had to use a 1/8” barbed hose coupler and 12” piece of fuel hose to re-attach the Fuel Return Hose on the end of the fuel diaphragm on the injection rail up against the firewall.

I heated the new hose in a cup of boiling water to slip it over the nipple on the diaphragm.

I tried to use a ¼” barbed connector, but no way could I get it inserted into the old hose.

I had to cut this hose when I pulled the engine, I could not get the hose pulled off the nipple with the engine dangling on end of the cherry picker.

HOT TIP:  When you go to re-install the engine and drop it down into the engine bay, I strongly suggest you consider attaching this hose BEFORE your dop it completely down on the frame rails and while its on the cherry picker and you lay the wire harness on the fuel rail and install the throttle body.

It was a flipp’n knuckle-busting-hand-scraping-curse-riddled-nastyhard-time to get that damn hose onto the nipple and the hose clamp tightened.  Of course, I had ZERO practice until last Friday.

I should have the rest of the vacuum hoses and wires connected today.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2017, 06:40:15 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #520 on: Mar 05, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
Where does this "injector type" green connector go?

It's hanging down from the wire harness under the throttle body.

I thought I had all the connector accounted for?  It's looks too short to be located up between the injector rail and the throttle body towards the rocker cover?

Thanks,

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2017, 12:09:19 PM by Gnarly4X »

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: Mar 05, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »
Did you get both connectors on both sensors on the front of the lower intake manifold?

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #522 on: Mar 05, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
Yes...  It fits into a blue receptacle on back side (firewall side) of the throttle control.

:)bestgen4runner was in the squawk box and I found where it goes.  It could be more hidden!

I think I will pull the throttle body and rebuild, clean the throttle control as :)bestgen4runner suggested.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #523 on: Mar 05, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »
That green connector goes onto the blue receptacle on back side of this.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #524 on: Mar 05, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »
I found a really bad photo on the net of a valve and the little blue receptacle on the back side.

I think this is the same one on my 86.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #525 on: Mar 05, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
I found another photo on the net.

Here is, apparently, what it looks like inside.

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #526 on: Mar 05, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »
That's the cold start Idle Air Control  (IAC)

Coolant and a bimetallic strip (resistor wire is wrapped around strip, that's what connector is for) close the opening.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #527 on: Mar 10, 2017, 02:51:38 AM »
That's the cold start Idle Air Control  (IAC)

Coolant and a bimetallic strip (resistor wire is wrapped around strip, that's what connector is for) close the opening.

Thanks emsvitil.

I decided NOT to take it apart at this point.  After I fire the engine and get it broken in (unless I have some issues that are related to this part) I will take it apart and clean it or replace it if necessary.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #528 on: Mar 10, 2017, 02:54:28 AM »
UPDATE 3-10-17

As I get within a few hours of firing this engine, my frustration level shoots up.

It blows me away that after 30+ years of these engines being rebuilt I could NOT find a drawing, explanation, diagram, or photo showing where these hose are *precisely* connected.

My 1986 FSM is worthless.  After over an hour searching on the net I found nothing conclusive.

My lack of experience with rebuilding this engine is my problem, along with being old and slow.  However, obviously these hose connections must an issue for others because the questions are all over net.  My throttle body only has 3 1/8" copper hose nipples on top of the throttle body.

Perhaps someone with more advanced research skills can find something that make sense for my 1986 22RE, and share them.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017, 03:03:09 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #529 on: Mar 10, 2017, 03:15:25 AM »
I thought the emissions or EFI section had a hose diagram somewhere.......
(out of town, can't look at my manual)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #530 on: Mar 10, 2017, 05:44:01 AM »
I thought the emissions or EFI section had a hose diagram somewhere.......
(out of town, can't look at my manual)

Yes... I believe it is "somewhere"..... I just can't find "somewhere".  :disturbed:

Gnarls.

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 359
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:26:35 AM »
Here is picture of where the one on my 22RE connected. I hope this helps.

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 359
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:30:17 AM »
Picture of hose.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #533 on: Mar 10, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »
Picture of hose.

Yes... that DOES help!!

Thank you!

Gnarls.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: Mar 10, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »
Is your under hood sticker missing? That's the best place to find the diagram.
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #535 on: Mar 10, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
Is your under hood sticker missing? That's the best place to find the diagram.

Yes, the factory diagram is there, it's somewhat faded. I'll look at it tonight.

GOOD idea!

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017, 01:47:30 PM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: Mar 10, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »
Yes, the factory diagram is there, it's somewhat faded. I'll look at in tonight.

GOOD idea!

Gnarls.
Silly Gnarls, If it was any closer it would have bit You.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #537 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »
Silly Gnarls, If it was any closer it would have bit You.

Well.. I will see tonight if that works??

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #538 on: Mar 10, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »
Hey :)bestgen4runner,

Well, the diagram DOES in fact show the connections. :yesnod:

I want to give you a BIG hug for, again, solving my frustrating connection mystery… and at the same time smack you for publically exposing my ree-tardness!  LOL. :yupyup:

It did not occur to me to look at my hood for the diagram.  :smack:

I thought that I would find the connections clearly shown when I did a Google search after a short time.  :gap:

Can someone please explain WHY in the flip this diagram is NOT replicated in the FSM???  ???

Now…. can someone please explain why this diagram that is on my hood, that clearly and simply shows the connections for the hoses for my factory 22RE engine, cannot be easily, if at all, found on the internet?  :dunno:

Your help and quickness to reply is very much appreciated… and of course you are making some valuable deposits in your “Karma Bank”!!  :beerchug: :ladys-man: :greengrin:

EDIT:  I edited the photo in Microsoft Paint to change the color to make it more readable.

Gnarls. :D
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017, 05:35:58 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #539 on: Mar 12, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
UPDATE 3-12-17 Sunday

I got the engine real close to “RTF”!!

But…. after putting water and coolant in the radiator, I noticed coolant leaking.  I could not pin point it, but it was coming from the a hose, or hoses attached the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve.

It was a bear to get it out.

I believe I can clean and re-use the IAC valve, but I will order new hoses and clamps from 22RE Performance tomorrow.

After I get the hoses and put the valve back on the engine, I believe I’m within an about 1 hour of firing the engine.

The nipples are rusted and pitted, but I think I can get the new hoses to seal with some Permatex Form-A-Gasket.

Gnarls.