Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 395263 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #360 on: Sep 18, 2016, 01:12:45 AM »
Gnarls, the harness is very easy.  in most cases you'll find if you have two sensors close together the wires that reach will have a different connector.  the injector wires for the #4 will reach one and three but  one and three wont reach four.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,218
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #361 on: Sep 19, 2016, 03:48:23 AM »
Gnarls, the harness is very easy.  in most cases you'll find if you have two sensors close together the wires that reach will have a different connector.  the injector wires for the #4 will reach one and three but  one and three wont reach four.

Ok, thanks.  Well, I'm hoping to "lower" it in by this coming week end.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:26:16 AM »
I had a bad dream last night.  I could not get all the connections, hoses, injector plugs back onto my engine after dropping it back into the engine bay!! :yikes:

Since I did NOT label all the wires and tubes, I'm starting to have some anxiety about getting everything properly connected.   :conf:

Is there a way to verify all the connections to the sensors, injectors, hoses, etc, etc. ?? :conf:

I know there are diagrams of vacuum hose connections? :gap:

I haven't done a ton of research yet.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Gnarls. :inthedark:

Everything's going to be all right. 

I've done the same thing before and it's just not that bad.  If you  get the harness in the right place it's pretty apparent where things go.  Vac lines too.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #363 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:49:09 AM »
Everything's going to be all right. 

I've done the same thing before and it's just not that bad.  If you  get the harness in the right place it's pretty apparent where things go.  Vac lines too.

OK, thanks.

I had to remove the throttle body before I could disconnect and remove the wire harness, as I was lifting it out of the engine bay.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #364 on: Sep 19, 2016, 03:24:25 PM »
I just hate it when you get everything back together and find a missing piece........

Then have to take everything apart to put the missing piece in.........
(or waste hours trying to figure out how to put the missing piece in without taking everything apart, before taking everything apart)

:cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Sep 19, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »
When I was in tech school Long Long ago.....
I had Just completed  My first turbo 350 rebuild  when I noticed a clip That I did not recall removing.
I went to My Instructor and said "where does this go, I don't recall removing it"
He responds with "That's the first piece you install it goes just above the reverse low clutch housing"
"How far are you on the reassemble?"  :therethere:
"I guess I Just started"  :rivers:   
I will remember that clip till the day I die. Oh, and I will never forget exactly where it goes, LOL
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #366 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:23:28 PM »
Well... I'm glad   :haha: :clap: :laugh:  I'm not the only one that might feel like a ree-tard trying to remember where every goes back together. 

It causes me a lot of frustration and self-torture for NOT marking, labeling, and photographing everything! :smack:

When I look at my bench with all the parts yet to be assembled, I feel some serious anal pucker because there should NOT be THAT many parts!!!!

Gnarls. :inthedark:

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2016, 07:46:23 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #367 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
UPDATE SEPT  19, 2016

I am taking extra time to clean and repaint parts, so I thought I’d share my “painting” experience so far.

I bought two kinds of  “engine” spray paint.  The Rust-Oleum took about 12 hours to dry to the touch.  My garage was about 95 degrees when I spayed the parts about 1pm.  When I checked on the Rust-Oleum painte parts they were still tacky at 7pm, and dry to the touch at 3:45am this morning.  The VHT paint was dry to the touch in about 30 minutes.  The nozzle on the Rust-Oleum spray a big pattern and splatters.  The VHT Engine Enamel has a really nice nozzle and sprays a very nice tight pattern.  The Rust-Oleum Engine Enamel was about half the price of VHT at Autozone, but I will buy VHT engine paint over the Rust-Oleum engine any day.

Gnarls. :spin:

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #368 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »
Let me know in a year which paint lasts longer.............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #369 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:22:23 AM »
Let me know in a year which paint lasts longer.............

Hey emsvitil,

Yeah, I thought about that.  Of course I won't didley for 1 year!

Gnarls.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #370 on: Sep 20, 2016, 08:11:37 AM »
UPDATE SEPT  19, 2016

I am taking extra time to clean and repaint parts, so I thought I’d share my “painting” experience so far.

I bought two kinds of  “engine” spray paint.  The Rust-Oleum took about 12 hours to dry to the touch.  My garage was about 95 degrees when I spayed the parts about 1pm.  When I checked on the Rust-Oleum painte parts they were still tacky at 7pm, and dry to the touch at 3:45am this morning.  The VHT paint was dry to the touch in about 30 minutes.  The nozzle on the Rust-Oleum spray a big pattern and splatters.  The VHT Engine Enamel has a really nice nozzle and sprays a very nice tight pattern.  The Rust-Oleum Engine Enamel was about half the price of VHT at Autozone, but I will buy VHT engine paint over the Rust-Oleum engine any day.

I've had the best luck with Dupli-Color engine enamel which is good to 500 degrees and has ceramic in it. Zippo got me hooked on it. It dries fast, sticks very good to poorly prepped surfaces and is durable. I use it for bumpers and chassis painting too.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #371 on: Sep 20, 2016, 10:11:37 AM »
I've had the best luck with Dupli-Color engine enamel which is good to 500 degrees and has ceramic in it. Zippo got me hooked on it. It dries fast, sticks very good to poorly prepped surfaces and is durable. I use it for bumpers and chassis painting too.

OK, thanks, I'll check out Dupli-Color.  I have a few more pieces to paint.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #372 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:39:32 PM »
Just to add a little more to my painting and detailing efforts during my rebuild project for those who may be like me and enjoy making the project look nice.

I like the VHT Primer.  I spent 2 or 3 hours cleaning and scrubbing the tranny & t-case with paint thinner solvent and acetone trying to degrease what looked like 30 years of grease and grime. I am impressed with the VHT Primer. It covered very well with no fish-eye or orange peel.  I am going to spray it with VHT Universal Aluminum, like I did with the throttle body.

NOTE:  the Walmart brand paint thinner that is white (Safer-green) does NOT do nearly as good as the clear formula.

While I'm thinking about it, for those who install headers, I have used a trick for years.  I wrap my header with aluminum foil before installing it so I don't get finger prints and grease on the coating or plating that will usually stain the surface as soon as you fire the engine. After its all installed, I remove the foil before firing the engine.

Gnarls.

benjyman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »
Nice

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #374 on: Sep 21, 2016, 03:48:18 AM »
Nice

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Hey  :haha: Squeaky,

Thanks.

So, when I joined the Mesa 4 Wheelers way back in the late 80's, they had a traditional thing of giving a member a " CB handle".  It was funny and interesting  how each member got "assigned" a CB handle.  On one of our many club trail runs I was trying to climb a really bad-a$$ hill and I said "That is one "Double Gnarly" hill!  From that moment, my CB handle was "Double Gnarly".  So..... since YOU have been dealing with a "squeak" for quite awhile and you made us have to deal with it too, YOUR CB handle or trail handle should be "Squeaky"!!!  :smooch: :beerchug:

Gnarls. :driving:
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2016, 07:34:35 AM by Gnarly4X »

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: Sep 21, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »
I've had the best luck with Dupli-Color engine enamel which is good to 500 degrees and has ceramic in it.

:yesnod:  Dupli-color is my go to engine paint and has done me well for many, many years.  Very easy to get a nice finish if prepped well.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: Sep 22, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
Gnarls, nice tip on the header paint foil, been using that for years.  Dupli-color with ceramic is my go to for almost everything, great coverage & adhesion even with so so prep.  I'm doing my manifold like yours next time it's off.  :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #377 on: Sep 25, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
UPDATE 9-25-16 – Tranny & T-Case cleaned and painted  :yesnod:

This was a real bear to clean. Inside of the bell housing looked like it had never been cleaned - it had a about 1/4" thick layer.  The grease and grim on the tranny and t-case was baked on. After hours of scrubbing with wire brushes with paint thinner and degreaser,  I did one final de-grease with acetone and my air gun.  I sprayed it with VHT Primer, then a coat of VHT Universal Aluminum.  I left the inside of the bell housing just a good coat of primer. :blah:

I painted the clutch fork and grease shields for the U-joints with Rust-Oleum Engine Black.  :shades:

This extra work and time-consuming but I always feel better when I look at it after its all finished.  :gap:

I’ve attached the before and after photos.  :D

I re-installed the hose fittings and attached as many hoses as I could to the throttle body.  I’m getting close to dropping this little baby onto the motor mounts.  :clap:

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2016, 07:15:07 AM by Gnarly4X »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #378 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01:17:31 AM »
When I was in tech school Long Long ago.....
I had Just completed  My first turbo 350 rebuild  when I noticed a clip That I did not recall removing.
I went to My Instructor and said "where does this go, I don't recall removing it"
He responds with "That's the first piece you install it goes just above the reverse low clutch housing"
"How far are you on the reassemble?"  :therethere:
"I guess I Just started"  :rivers:   
I will remember that clip till the day I die. Oh, and I will never forget exactly where it goes, LOL
:smack:

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #379 on: Sep 27, 2016, 03:48:49 AM »
:smack:

Like many others here, I have learned many hot tips and lots of great information from those who have generously taken the time to share, I also want to share what I have learned, as well as admit my mistakes and things I would do differently.  :driving:

Not to make any excuses, however this is the first complete rebuild I have done on a Toyota 22RE engine.  I rushed into this project too fast and didn’t take the time to accurately and completely photograph and video record the engine before starting disassembly, during the disassembly, and evaluating condition of all parts.

I should have been more careful at labeling parts, tubes, hoses, and connectors, and documenting the disassembly/re-assembly steps.  This is especially true where several parts needed to be connected together with several other pieces using the same bolt or nut. :yesnod:

I put various nuts and bolts into labeled cups because I knew I would not remember where they belonged.  :gap: :thumbs:

I have bolts and nuts sitting on my work table that are not labeled and I’m not sure where they go!!!.... how stupid is that?  :shake_head:

I have a few cups with bolts in them and the cup is NOT labeled!!... how stupid is that??  :shake_head:

I learn by doing, but as a DIYer I just haven’t had the opportunities to practice, fix or repair my Toyota trucks that often… their reliability is legendary.

Will I have some parts left over after its all back together???.... holy crapity!  :smack:

« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2016, 03:55:02 AM by Gnarly4X »

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8292
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: Sep 28, 2016, 08:04:47 PM »
I always get screwed up putting the power steering/alternator brackets back in. I finally took pictures the last time so I can refer to them next time.......If I even remember I took them in the first place lol
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #381 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:24:52 AM »
I always get screwed up putting the power steering/alternator brackets back in. I finally took pictures the last time so I can refer to them next time.......If I even remember I took them in the first place lol

LOL!!.... Yeah during that episode of reassembly I mentally masturbated for way too long over that!!!  Even my pornographic memory didn't help me!!   :headscratch: :hammerhead:

Gnarls.  :spin:

4runner4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 291
  • Male Posts: 260
  • Member since Aug '08
  • lockers before light bars.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #382 on: Oct 04, 2016, 01:34:05 PM »
LOL!!.... Yeah during that episode of reassembly I mentally masturbated for way too long over that!!!  Even my pornographic memory didn't help me!!   :headscratch: :hammerhead:

Gnarls.  :spin:

can you send me those pictures i am scratching my head on this build
1983 Toyota pickup Sr5 6 inch shackle lift 33 super swampers 4:88 gears front and rear locked in the rear 22r high lift air tank tools and other junk(sold)
1987 4runner ifs 3 inch pro comp lift 33" TSL swampers and a cherry bomb exhaust(sold)
1987 4runner Sr5 current sas build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101170.new#new

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #383 on: Oct 04, 2016, 04:22:25 PM »
can you send me those pictures i am scratching my head on this build

Hey 4runner4x4,

I can post photos tonight.

Gnarls.

4runner4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #384 on: Oct 04, 2016, 04:49:07 PM »
thanks bud i need to upload my block aswell
1983 Toyota pickup Sr5 6 inch shackle lift 33 super swampers 4:88 gears front and rear locked in the rear 22r high lift air tank tools and other junk(sold)
1987 4runner ifs 3 inch pro comp lift 33" TSL swampers and a cherry bomb exhaust(sold)

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #385 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:09:32 PM »
Here ya go....

Gnarls.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »
Here ya go....

Gnarls.

Looks Good!  :respect:
Make us a Video when you do the initial break-in, Please..............
I am a sucker for a clean 22re.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #387 on: Oct 05, 2016, 03:38:04 AM »
Well... it's chained to the cherry picker because I'm getting it ready to drop onto the motor mounts, but it's not balanced level.  I chained it the engine so it will not bend the hooks, like it did when I pulled it.

As I mentioned, to do it again I would paint the engine block a different color than black, probably a light gray.

The bellhousing plate is not orange, it's actually the same color as the rocker cover.

Thank you, the video recording suggestion is a good one.  I didn't think of that.  I'll see how I can get someone to video me prepping and firing the engine for camshaft break-in.

I decided to install the stock exhaust header and exhaust piping with cat and muffler.  I am very curious to see how much difference in a dyno test when I swap in the DT header and 2.25" exhaust.  After its broken in for a couple thousand miles, I want to dyno it.  The next day, I want to install the DT header and new exhaust, drive it for a couple days to make sure Mommy ECU is happy, then dyno it again.

I still need to buy a new O2 sensor because I don't know much heat they can handle. I'm sure when I over heated the engine, the stock exhaust header was probably glowing red, and of course the O2 sensor is sitting near the bottom of the stock exhaust header.

Gnarls.

4runner4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #388 on: Oct 05, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »
thank you very much.

Smithk2ski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Member since Oct '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: Oct 05, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »
Nice