Author Topic: Scott Wilson's 1988 4Runner Build, Version 2.0  (Read 119361 times)

CB.TypeG

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
    • My '83 Build
    • Buy me a beer
Great pics man, looks like some serious time and money invested in this rig (and its beautiful hauler :thumbs: ) Very nice work!

Bananaclip

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Mar '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
This build is some next level stuff. What a build! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
84 extended cab

84 yota dude

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Awesome pics from that rubicon trip. Really nice rigs. That white 4Runner is an absolute unit! An LS swap too, nice. Those are some big tires...
Was he able to get that smog legal?

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 331
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
If my memory is working, I believe Mike Smith owns the white one.  I think he lives in a CA county that doesn't require smog.

He built a beast of a 4Runner!
Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

84 yota dude

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That was my guess with the smog..
Looks like a beast!

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Anyone else had issues with ring gear bolts backing out? 

Last year this happened to me.  Half had completely back out and the other half were loose.  Initially we thought the installer (he who won't be named in this post) forgot to Loctite the bolts.

Same installer did the 3rd member repair.  New ring gear bolts. New ARB housing. Same gears & bearings.  No doubt Loctite was used in the rebuild.

18 months later, maybe 1000 miles, 2-3 Rubicon trips, history has repeated itself.  This time it took a gear tooth off the ring gear and the bearings are done too.

Any ideas why the bolts keep coming loose?  Bad Loctite? Not allowed to cure?  Torque wrench not calibrated? Crappy bolts that stretched?  I'm pretty frustrated to be dealing with this again.

The Diamond housing took a beating, but it's ROBUST.  Only 2 small bumps visible from the exterior
1964 FJ40 TBD

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
Did you email Zuk?

Gearinstalls.com

Something that comes  to mind for me. Possible debris between ring gear and carrier possible.
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
The recess for the bolt heads makes things tricky.

You can't use the stock bolt tab plates.

Can anybody think of a way to use safety wire with the hole recess?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
What if the bolts are bottoming out in the hole.

They meet torque spec, but not the clamping load needed.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Did you email Zuk?

Gearinstalls.com

Something that comes  to mind for me. Possible debris between ring gear and carrier possible.
I reached out to him after you suggested it.  Here is his reply

I think it was dirty threads and old red loctite.  Also, I don't care for the underside surface on the stock factory bolts.  It has a "stepped surface" and that does not help with clamping forces.    Get new, fresh #263 red loctite  and 10 of these higher quality flange style bolts. Toyota p/n 90901-05002  These get torqued to a higher value.....use 85 ft/lb.   These are the bolts used in the front clamshells of 3rd gen Tacomas......and the factory torques them to 85 per FSM.   Clean the threads with a good cleaner....I like starting fluid.  Clean the threads of the new ring gear also.  Should never come loose then.
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I damaged the delrin stop for my swing outs awhile back and finally got around to repairing it.  This time out of steel.  Shouldn't be able to damage this one.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
The plastic valve on my Pioneer Plastics jerry can has been getting stiffer and stiffer.  Last trip I wouldn't have been surprised if it snapped off when trying to turn it.

I cut off the plastic valve and tapped 1/2" pipe threads through it's remnants.  Then threaded on a 1/4 turn stainless valve.  I should have done this mod from the get go.  Big improvement

1964 FJ40 TBD

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
I heard about this truck on the snailtrail4x4 podcast and found the build. Just read through the whole thing. Love to see a good build thread on the forums with good tech again!

Oddly enough the 4runner I thought it was in my head was actually your old 4runner.

How are the split rear line locks working out for a turning/mobility perspective? Any advantage over having a handle to modulate?

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Separating out the line locks, left and right, probably wasn't worth the extra effort. On the trail I never even think to try them. I just do a three-point turn... Or 103 point 🤣

Overall I love line locks to make sure the truck isn't moving while I'm parked on the trail.

This truck is severely neglected right now and need some repairs from last season. I'm spending all my time building a restomod 1983 toy 4x4 SR5 pickup with my daughter.  So far I've only shared some photos on Instagram. I'll probably do a build thread later on.  Hopefully we've got the engine swap running in the next 1 to 2 weeks

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cmz-fVevCYh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
1964 FJ40 TBD

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
Thanks for the update!

I’m hoping to try cutting brakes on my build and the line lock idea would cut down on having 6 different levers between the seats haha.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
On the trail the guys with more than 2 sticks would spend more time fondling their little stick to find which one of the 256 gears was going to feel the best than getting over the obstacle!! :willynilly:

Cutting brakes on a crawler is like putting a 8-ball on shifter stick.... !!  :screwy:

Line locks?... if you need a line lock to keep your truck from rolling you probably should not be on a rock crawling trail!  :rofl2:

What a waste of good trail time!!  :thumbdown:

Gnarls. :usa:
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2023, 04:25:26 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
They're not for driving Gnarls, they're for parking.

Vehicles pop out of gear while parked on the trail far too often.

I had a break on a trail and had to rebuild my rear axle on steep terrain.  Gave me great confidence working under my rig, knowing the front brakes were holding firm. 

LOVE my line locks.
1964 FJ40 TBD

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
On the trail the guys with more than 2 sticks would spend more time fondling their little stick to find which one of the 256 gears was going to feel the best than getting over the obstacle!! :willynilly:

Cutting brakes on a crawler is like putting a 8-ball on shifter stick.... !!  :screwy:

Line locks?... if you need a line lock to keep your truck from rolling you probably should not be on a rock crawling trail!  :rofl2:

What a waste of good trail time!!  :thumbdown:

Man, what a jerk this guy is.

Can't wait for the build thread on the 2tr swap.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Gnarls is ok... I think he's posting before having coffee this morning 🤣
1964 FJ40 TBD

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
They're not for driving Gnarls, they're for parking.

Vehicles pop out of gear while parked on the trail far too often.

I had a break on a trail and had to rebuild my rear axle on steep terrain.  Gave me great confidence working under my rig, knowing the front brakes were holding firm. 

LOVE my line locks.

Hey Scott...

My comment was deliberate sarcastic humor to stir up some discussion and some posts... It's been a little slow and boring here in the tech stuff.

Actually, I believe the line locks or brake locks should be highly considered as an almost mandatory feature.

I was on a trail up in Tonopah, AZ on a side of a mountain.  There were about 15 vehicles.  I may be able to find some photos.

One of the guys driving an open top CJ-7, was parked slightly off the trail road (a semi-maintained power line road), on a slight incline down hill.

We had all stopped.  He jumped into the Jeep to get something out of the back.  When he did, the movement was just enough to shift the stick tranny out of gear to neutral.

His Jeep started to roll backwards down the incline to a very steep drop-off.  There were several of us watching him.  When the jeep started to roll, he attempted to get to gear shift, but he was quick enough to realize he did not have time to stop the vehicle, and as I remember several guys yelled at him to jump off!  He jumped off just as it went over backwards and end over end for about 50 feet.  There was serious damage.  We spent time getting it winched back onto the road and checking out everything.  As I remember he was able to drive it off the mountain.

So... yes.... Line Locks are a good thing.

Steering brake or cutting brakes.... I don't remember any of the guys I ran with having those, so I don't know how they will work on the common trails I ran.

In my sand railing days, some guys had dual cutting brakes on their sand rails, I never did.

I used to tease the guys with the multiple gear shift sticks when rockcrawling and they'd be stopped at an obstacle and be fiddling and fondling their sticks to figure out which gear they thought would work best.  I yelled at them "Quit playing with your little sticks and drive over the flipp'n rock!!".. We're burn'n daylight!!

Of course they'd yell back "You're just jealous Gnarls 'cause you only have 5 gears and I've got 256!!"

In the Mesa 4-Wheelers 4x4 Club if you were overly sensitive about getting teased, you'd be butt-hurt on every trail run!!

The teasing and heckling was all done in good sport, but it was really funny.  And, on any given run, no one was safe from getting teased.

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2023, 10:40:40 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Man, what a jerk this guy is.

Can't wait for the build thread on the 2tr swap.

I think you just clearly demonstrated what a REAL jerk reads like. :thumbs:

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
How effective would a line lock be at isolating a failed brake line from the rear of the brake system? Say you blow a left rear flex line. Can you engage the line lock and carry on without much issue?

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Someone would have to test it to see if when activated it's functioning as a closed valve, rather than a one-way valve.

Based on how my pedal feels when it's activated, I think it probably works like a closed valve and would work for what you're describing
1964 FJ40 TBD

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I think you just clearly demonstrated what a REAL jerk reads like. :thumbs:

liveoak is a real stand up jerk that I enjoyed wheeling with.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
liveoak is a real stand up jerk that I enjoyed wheeling with.

Yep...it takes one to wheel with one. :thumbs:

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I've been wholly ignoring my 4Runner for the last year while my daughter and I built a restomod 83 pickup with a 2TR-FE swap.

I'm finally freshening up the front axle on the 4Runner in time for the Marlin Roundup.  Doing the knuckle bearing upgrade and new tie rod ends while I'm there.

1964 FJ40 TBD

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
 Nice job on the first gen
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Thanks

The details of that build are here
https://instagram.com/swilson.143?igshid=MzNlNGNkZWQ4Mg==

1964 FJ40 TBD

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
My 2 year old loves blue first gens. I might need to start looking for one before they are all gone. That one you have a real gem. Amazing project.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Started hearing some nasty noises while on the Rubicon for Marlin's Roundup.  Had it narrowed down to a body mount by the end of the trip

Today I found the body was barely still together above that body mount. The body lift puck was smaller diameter than the factory design. 

After welding it up I created a larger washer to spread the load.  In the future I'll do this for all the body lift pucks.

I also finally cut some holes to get more air to the radiator.  I've had an occasional need to stop and let the temps come down.  Hopefully this helps.

1964 FJ40 TBD