Author Topic: Scott Wilson's 1988 4Runner Build, Version 2.0  (Read 115719 times)

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Man, I had a piece of 3/16” aluminum cut out for mine and will secure it with riv-nuts. I really like the cutting board idea as well! That stuff is not cheap either. Where did you snag a sheet of it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually it was cheap!  About $30, cut to size.

Port Plastics
550 E Trimble Rd # A
San Jose, CA 95131

Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I’m gonna look into that. Seems easier to clean than aluminum would be lol. Cool deal and thanks for the contact info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I pulled all the shyt out of my cargo area.  I use recycled tire mat on the bed.  I really like the cutting board.

People dig on stock plastics, but all that stuff does is squeak and rattle.
hold this. . .

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Long overdue, I finally finished off my B pillar emblems. 

From 10' away they look amazing.  Up close, they're ok
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Since putting the 37" spare tire on back, my rearview mirror has been nearly useless.  I started shopping for a rearview camera with a small video screen built into it

I ended up finding something even better, a rearview mirror that is also 100% video screen. It's a BrandMotion FullVUE FVMR-1000. I has front and rear 1080p cameras.

I was able to fish the wiring harness through the dash, up the A-pillar, and through the roof.  After removing the stock mirror I was left with a whole, which was perfect for the harness to drop out of. 

Only installation trouble was glueing a standard mirror mount to my windshield.  Took 4 attempts before it finally held.  I think I was dealing with bad adhesive.  Once I bought a fresh package, it stuck.

When it's powered off its a normal review mirror.  When powered up the whole screen is a video screen.  Tilting the mirror so that the reflection you see is now the cab of the truck gave me the cleanest view of the video screen.

In rearview mode (which it automatically starts up in when you key-on) it gives you a zoomed in image that is consistent with what you'd see from looking in a rearview mirror.   When you shift into reverse it switches to a wide angle view, with grid lines, like you see in most OEM backup systems.

Finding a spot to mount the camera that gave me the best image for both rearview & backup modes was difficult. I ended up putting in the empty receiver hitch. I don't ever expect to tow with the receiver and I have 2 other shackle mounts on the rear bumper.

Driving on the road, it's a good rearview.  Doesn't take any getting used to.

Rearview mode works well, but doesn't give much depth perception.  It would work better if it had 2 cameras... One level-for the rearview, and the other at a down-angle-for the backup mode.

When you're driving, it's recording the footage from both front and rear cameras like a dash cam would.  It also has surveillance modes for when you're parked. 

Haven't tried it at night yet, but so far I'm happy with it
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Garage art!! Gonna have to hang these ASAP

DB Metal Marvels is the shop that made them. They're in AZ

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
After adding the 37" spare on the back, the rear of the 4Runner was really sagging.  And that's with no wheeling/camping gear in the bed.

I called Alcan and got them to make a duplicate set of my springs, but without the expensive main leafs (due to the orbit eyes).  Kind of like a 6 leaf add-a-pack.  Instead of 7mm leafs, they used 8mm.

First I installed my main leafs on top of the new packs, but the end result was a 5-6" increase in lift.  Then I started over and built a pack using only 3 of the thicker leafs, alternating between the 7mm leafs.

The end result leveled the truck out nicely.  Since it has a higher spring rate now, it should sag less when I'm loaded for the trail.

I have a lot of extra leafs now which is also handy.  Any future rear suspension changes will be a quick reshuffling of leafs until I have a pack that works for what I need.

I also finally went through my parking brake cables and have a P-brake that will hold on an incline again.  After a couple Rubicon trips I had stretched the cables enough that the p-brake wasn't working

Did you know that a 3RZ can do a burnout, even with sticky 37" tires?  I found out last night!  I was teaching my daughter to drive a stick shift.  She had stalled out on a hill and was super freaked out that the truck was rolling back as she switched from brake to gas to get going again.  The end result was her redlining the engine and dropping the clutch. She sure lit up those 37s!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1964 FJ40 TBD

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Your build inspired me to go with the NWTI rear bumper. I really like the look of it.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26866
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Your build inspired me to go with the NWTI rear bumper. I really like the look of it.

His rear bumper is a 4x4 labs bumper WIY..
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Not familiar with that one.  Got a link?
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
A friend bought a built JK and needs to learn how to drive it. Spent Saturday goofing off at Hollister hills with him.
1964 FJ40 TBD

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
His rear bumper is a 4x4 labs bumper WIY..
After posting I went back and read that it was a 4x4 labs bumper.

Not familiar with that one.  Got a link?

https://nwtrailinnovations.com/toyota-4runner-bumpers/toyota-4runner-1984-1988-bumpers/1984-1985-1986-1987-1988-1989-toyota-4runner-rear-offroad-bumper

They look pretty similar but I like the side protection thay the 4x4 labs has. I might add that to the NWTI bumper.
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Last year on the Rubicon I noticed my passenger slider had bent up and contacted the body.  I finally took a closer look and saw the frame had split.

I cut the gusset free and hung a 1/4 wall piece of tubing from some soft shackles.  Then I drove my Tacoma onto the pipe.  Then I welded it up and added a new gusset over previously cracked area
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I spent some time this week cleaning up my center console.  At first I thought about copying the factory style and making some custom vinyl shift boots.  The more I looked at it, the rubber shift boots I already have look pretty good.

I decided to make a panel to fill in the gaps instead.  I realize there would be a large flat area if I just used a flat sheet of plastic. I decided I'd like a coin tray there.  I ordered some kydex which can be heated and molded to shape. Once it cools it holds the new shape.

I just happened to be building a small vanity top for my RV, so I had a sheet of Corian laying around. I cut out the shape I wanted and routed the edges round to create a buck to mold my kydex.

Just for the time being I sprayed the factory trim piece with a spray dye I had on hand. I'll respray it once I find a better matching spray dye
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2020, 01:11:39 PM by swilson »
1964 FJ40 TBD

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Where are you going to put the Super Big Gulp?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I couldn't figure that out.  Too many shifters in the way!  I'll have to build a set of half doors with a cup holder built in
1964 FJ40 TBD

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Cup holder are a real problem in a 1st gen 4Runner. I used to have one on the passenger side of my shifters but then I realized that the passenger seat would hit it when it would slide forward to allow access to the back seat.

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4347
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
http://www.etsy.com/shop/bh3dprinting

i hope this is ok to post?  i just got their bpillar badges.

CB

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
http://www.etsy.com/shop/bh3dprinting

i hope this is ok to post?  i just got their bpillar badges.

CB
I have one of their turbo emblems.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Wow, they make some cool stuff.

I spent the last few days on the Rubicon. Went from Loon to the overlook and back to Loon. Pretty good weather... But lots of smoke in the air.  4Runner ran great!  Kissed the back corner... Needs a new taillight

I'm EXTREMELY happy with the new swing out on the back bumper.  Really worked great. Much more cooking area, loved having my water out of the way, and the telescoping light was awesome around camp

Tried towing with the Tacoma for the first time. It was asking a lot of the Tacoma, but it did well.

1964 FJ40 TBD

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
So I would ideally like to go with the Alcan orbit eyes in the back of my 4runner but I am feeling intimidated by the idea of ordering a set of expensive custom springs that are calibrated to my setup with the drawers and rear bumper and whatever gear I plan to carry. If they don’t work right for my setup I will be stuck with a set of springs I can’t use that cost me a pretty penny to have built. Can you offer me any solace?

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I've had a lot of luck pulling bottom leaves to lower ride height, then as the packs break in I put the leaves back in.

So I suggest ordering them for a bit more weight than you really expect to put on them.
1964 FJ40 TBD

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Huh, nothing wrong with that light crack adds character.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Another trip to the Rubicon, another set of shackle bushings.  I think I mentioned before I was considering hitting my machinist buddy up for a set of stronger bushings. I need to do that.
1964 FJ40 TBD

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,846
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Wow! One trip did that?
Time to go wheelin!

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Half day at Hollister Hills too, but I doubt that did much to them
1964 FJ40 TBD

Engi-nerd

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 118
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Another trip to the Rubicon, another set of shackle bushings.  I think I mentioned before I was considering hitting my machinist buddy up for a set of stronger bushings. I need to do that.

Look into UHMW-PE.
Good stuff - super wear resistant, chemically inert to most things, self-lubricating, and generally pretty tough.

McMaster might have something that works:
https://www.mcmaster.com/uhmw-polyethylene-bushings

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,846
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I remember someone making some a few years ago.......
Time to go wheelin!

Ghettofab88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile

I've seen a guy that was using bronze bushings.  I might try it in the future.

Kevin

ScaldedDog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • 88 4Runner, MC07, 4.70's
    • View Profile
    • ScaldedDog.COm
Scott, after our text conversation yesterday, I've been reading this thread every chance I've had. What a great rig you've built!! As you know, I'm just starting a delayed 4WU 3-link project, and am thrilled at the great way you documented yours. I'm starting to have bad thoughts... about chopping off the front of my frame, though I think I'd do it in front of the motor mount. I just want to clear the links, and I'd like to move my steering box up an inch to get it out of the way. With no more spring hangers in front it, it's going to be out in the breeze.

Here are a couple of pics of your old rig from this year. The first is just a poser shot from Moab, as I knew that was the last time it'd be clean for awhile. The second is the last pic with the old suspension, before I cut the leaf spring stuff off.

For those who don't know, I'm the guy who bought Scott's first 4Runner, just over 20 years ago. I clearly have a much longer automotive attention span than he has :D , as I still own it. It still looks, at a glance, a lot like it did then, though I've done a lot of work on it. It's been a terrific rig for our family. If you happen to remember the PIAA lights Scott had on the front of the 4Runner, they are still around, on the front of that Excursion in the pic (which I've owned for 17 years.) I live in the country, and they make great deer lights this time of year.

Mark