Author Topic: Scott Wilson's 1988 4Runner Build, Version 2.0  (Read 119359 times)

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 331
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
It was good to catch up Mark!  I need to make a trip out towards you so we can do some wheeling together!

Or...  Steven Sasaki and I were talking and agreed we would lead a 4Runner-run on next years Rubithon.  It hasn't been officially announced, but I guess I'm letting the cat out of the bag.  Hopefully you can join us!

As far as trimming your frame... It's really only the fat area at the bottom of the IFS frame that needs trimming. Your lower links will hit. 

You could leave the rest of the stock frame, though you might end up doing a little trimming if your panhard bar interferes with your frame when passenger tire is stuffed.  I don't feel like your box is too low. 

Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

ScaldedDog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • 88 4Runner, MC07, 4.70's
    • View Profile
    • ScaldedDog.COm
Rubithon sounds great! I've joked often over the years that my rig has done the Rubicon, but I haven't... Of course, Moab and Colorado, work, too. It'd be great to get together, either way.

I wasn't terribly clear about my steering box issue. It's already moved forward, but I might have to move it forward a little more just to keep the axle where it is, and I'd like to move the axle an inch forward, if I can. If I'm going to do that, it occurred to me that I should raise the box up a little, as I have the room. Doing something like you did with the front of the frame would let me do that. I'll probably trim the fat part of the frame, too, though I think my worst clearance issue is going to be the exhaust on the passenger's side. I already have the header cut back to the beginning of the collector, and it is routed as high as it'll go and still keep the headers, but I think my top link is going to be a problem. That's why I was looking into bent top links, but that has its own set of issues.

I don't want to make your great thread about my build, so I'll ask you some questions about yours:

1) You mentioned some issues with locating the axle brackets on your Diamond. How did you end up getting them right? My plan is to set the axle under the truck at ride height and with the castor correct, then mount the brackets so that the link mounting holes are directly behind the axle. Make sense? I confirmed with Brian this week (Thanks Brian!!) that 34.5" is the correct spacing between the center link mounts, even on an axle that is much wider than stock (65 3/4 WMS, in my case).

2) Do you have pics of your top link? (Both ends and how it looks at full stuff.)

3) How did you do your shock mounts? The instructions are a bit vague on that. Zidaro, in is POR thread, showed a couple of great looking shock mounts that he'd fabbed up.

4) Did you cut your shock towers? Zidaro made a comment about "cutting them to the right length for 16" shocks", but I'm not sure why he had to do that. I'm only using 14" ones, so I'm really going to have to trim the towers if the are too long for 16s.

Thanks!!

Mark

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Here's a boatload of photos. Hope it helps!

My biggest battle getting the links to fit the diamond housing I think was related to not knowing where the 34.5" measurement was taken from. it looks like I finally figured it out correctly because, measuring what I have now it looks to be about 34.5 to the center of the lower links.  The other part is the shape of the Diamond housing is different, so you just have to grind away a little at a time until it fits nice

My lower strut mounts are 3/16" tabs. The strut is mounted double shear.

The strut towers I got from Brian. I think they called them Cobra towers or something like that. They work well. I had to shorten them and shape them to fit on the frame where I wanted them.

The left strut tower was limited in height by the master cylinder. I clearanced it a little bit, but I wish I had just chopped out the corner of that tower and mounted it at the exact same height of the right side tower... Which I had done first and wasn't about to redo

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2020, 11:09:58 AM by swilson »
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Setting your links at ride height seems like a good idea. You'll want to have it at full stuff to set your towers though

1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Here's my project this month. LQ4 for my square body Suburban.  I got rid of the Tacoma, wasn't heavy enough for the stuff I like to do
1964 FJ40 TBD

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
I like the burban build. I've been daydreaming about building a 66' burban with an LBZ. I used to drive a 66' pickup in highschool.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

ScaldedDog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • 88 4Runner, MC07, 4.70's
    • View Profile
    • ScaldedDog.COm
Here's a boatload of photos. Hope it helps!

Oh, man, it sure does!! Thanks!!

Mark

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I finished up the LQ4 swap this weekend. It was totally worth the effort!  Now the Suburban has modern driveability in a classic square body package.
1964 FJ40 TBD

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Scott, did you know that Steve sold his runner, Kevin Carey bought!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I heard!  Kevin, Steve, and myself will be leading a 4Runner run at Rubithon.  4Runners aren't mandatory.  Steve will be in his Jeep, but we all know Toyota was his first love, lol.  If you're up for a new run, come join us Dave!

We'll be departing Loon at 7am Thursday (June 24) and will be going straight through to Rubicon Springs the first day.
1964 FJ40 TBD

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I finished up the LQ4 swap this weekend. It was totally worth the effort!  Now the Suburban has modern driveability in a classic square body package.

Hey Scott...

Wow... nice job!  My hat is off to you and I give you a big 2 thumbs up! :thumbsup:

I've only done 1 swap myself (455 Olds into my 1967 Chevy longbed), but my good friend does them for a living and he's been doing them for over 20 years. 

I know how much time, money, and skill it takes.  :beerchug:

Gnarls. :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
This is the first time it's been on the lift. It's wild to see the axles at full extension.  Almost wish I could drive it around at this height for a day and watch jaws drop lol.

The bad news is I've been really lazy. Found lots of loose stuff, the worst of which is going to cost me a driver side steering arm and tie rod end!  The tie rod tapered fitting loosened and hogged out the taper.

Learn from me, don't be lazy! Ha ha
1964 FJ40 TBD

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Can’t you raise the ride height on the ORIs?  Probably not worth the effort, but...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Yeah I was joking with a friend about doing just that, but it's would ride like garbage!

As it is, I need to play with the ori pressures and soften them up
1964 FJ40 TBD

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
This is the first time it's been on the lift. It's wild to see the axles at full extension.  Almost wish I could drive it around at this height for a day and watch jaws drop lol.

The bad news is I've been really lazy. Found lots of loose stuff, the worst of which is going to cost me a driver side steering arm and tie rod end!  The tie rod tapered fitting loosened and hogged out the taper.

Learn from me, don't be lazy! Ha ha

That exact same thing already happened to me too.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
This rig needs a bib dispenser to catch all the drool.. :bowdown:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Lol. Thanks
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Went out to Hollister Saturday for a little wheeling.  The day wasn't without drama. First my trailer tire looked like it's about to let go, so it got left behind and I drove the 4Runner to the trail.  (Goodyear's gonna prorate the tire for me)

Once we got to Hollister my buddy's JK loosened a fitting on the hydro assist ram we installed over the winter.  Luckily I had enough fluid in my kit so it was a quick fix.

Then my Flex-a-lite radiator fan took a dump.  I'm using a variable speed fan controller.  I'm wondering if I just had a bad motor or if maybe the fan didn't like being run at variable speeds.  I've ordered a replacement motor and we'll see how it holds up
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:18:43 PM by swilson »
1964 FJ40 TBD

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Is the trailer tire radial or bias ply?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Radial.  Not that old either, 5 years I think.  Both driver's side tires.
1964 FJ40 TBD

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Was that side sitting in the sun?

Had a feeling it was radial.............

Decades ago I would hear of people with radial trailer tires that would fall apart and swearing they'd never get radial trailer tires again.

Think they would have fixed it by now............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
It's usually parked in a carport, so I don't think the sun was a factor. IDK
1964 FJ40 TBD

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Radial.  Not that old either, 5 years I think.  Both driver's side tires.

What is the rated load range and ply rating on the tires?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Knowing what I know now, after 20+ years of 4-wheeling, I'd buy a quality TPMS for my trailer (if I hauled) and one for my 4-wheeling Toyota.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Components-2020106863-Temperature-Monitoring/dp/B08CFJVZJH/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=tire+pressure+monitor+systems&qid=1621255097&refinements=p_72%3A1248861011&rnid=1248859011&s=automotive&sr=1-11

https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System/dp/B085C2HMQP/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=tire+pressure+monitor+systems&qid=1621254952&sr=8-4

We tend to spend gobs of money on bling and other goodies but seemingly ignore some basic safety considerations.

A father of one of our 4-wheeling families was killed when his SUV rolled over on the freeway due to a blown tire.

I've seen multiple hauling trailer tires issue on a number of 4-wheeling trips.

My 2013 Corolla has a warning light, low tire pressure icon, on the instrument panel.  My wife doesn't really pay much attention to that, like I do.  There needs to be an audible alarm that alerts the driver to a low tire pressure issue.

https://www.safetyresearch.net/nhtsa-gets-real-on-tire-fatalities/

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:41:14 AM by Gnarly4X »

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
What is the rated load range and ply rating on the tires?

Gnarls.
Forgot to check.  I dropped them off at Goodyear this morning
1964 FJ40 TBD

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Rubithon?

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Rubithon?

Affirm. 7am Thursday 4Runner run.

You gonna be there Bob?
1964 FJ40 TBD

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Yes, Heading in Friday A.M. See you soon!

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Thanks OVRAROK for turning me onto these DFG sliders.  I got mine just in time for Rubithon

See you guys on the trail!
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
The 4Runner Run at Rubithon was great!  Everyone showed up with well prepared rigs.  I met lots of great people and got reunited with some old friends too.

We got caught in a thunderstorm as we were leaving Buck Island and had to winch some of the group over a couple of difficult spots.  Other than that it was smooth sailing and good times were had!

Tons of photos in the Google album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5yxLCbtxtYr5G9sW7
1964 FJ40 TBD