Author Topic: Advanced Theology II  (Read 31061 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Theology II
« Reply #210 on: Jul 24, 2007, 12:18:04 PM »
BD,  The only way that I see Mark 2:27-28 "And He said to them, ‘The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.  Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath,'" being understood to mean that the Sabbath commandment is no longer binding is to presuppose that the Ten Commandments are no longer applicable, or valid.  Anyone that assumes that the Ten Commandments are still binding wouldn't reach the conclusion that this undid the Sabbath.

As for what is "ok" to do on Sabbath, a group of friends and I studied this very carefully and only came to the conclusion that the Holy Spirit has to convict individuals.  My reason for generally avoiding the technical trails on Sabbath has nothing to do with physical rest, but if my full focus is on the technical aspects of wheeling how can I really enjoy nature, family and time with God?  There are translations that say," thou shalt no do thy own work," which makes it easier to understand for me.  God wants us to set a day aside from our normal activities to spent time resting and growing in our relationship with Him, this process is different for everyone.  An office worker may need to go for a hike, for example, when a construction worker may prefer sitting on the couch.  I don't work on Sabbath, but I'm open to phone calls if I have needed information for others to be productive.  How can my Sabbath be seen as a blessing by others if it constantly puts them in a bind?  My wife is a PA and does work on Sabbath on a rotational basis.  Admittedly, I sometimes wonder where the line is between helping people and "working" is and again it is an individual conviction.  If a co-worker was planning to work on Saturday for something important and came down sick at the last minute, I suspect I would be willing to fill in.

As far as tithing, I can assure you that it is a blessing.  There are even financial advisors that will recommend an 80/10/10 plan (10% Savings & 10% Charity) because they know it changes people to donate to a cause that benefits something.  I personally give both tithes (God asks for 10% of our income) and offering (because I'm thankful).  I know many people that double tithe, but I have chosen 13% total because it is approximately 1/7th of my income to match the Sabbath principle.  God doesn't promise that we will have everything that we "want" but He does promise to give us what we need.

Done rambling... :gap:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved