Author Topic: 84 4Runner Buildup - Last minute summer mods  (Read 307556 times)

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Re: 84 4Runner Buildup
« Reply #240 on: Mar 04, 2007, 10:16:37 PM »
3/4/07
Worked on finishing up passenger side knuckle and steering arm.  My dad and I also removed the one spring with the lazy shackle angle in the rear.  We swapped springs with the spare one I have and NO CHANGE.  So, we cut the top shackle hanger and moved it 5/8 of an inch forward.  Perfect shackle angle with other rear spring at 16 degrees.

We removed the rear axle and sprayed it with some semi-flat spray paint.  I also put the steering box back together and sprayed it with some paint. 

Next came getting the steering box mounted and steering arms connected to get good angle on them.  DAMN, what a PITA.  We ended up cutting some of the front radiator support out to poke the box out of the front of the truck.  Drilling 3/4 holes in the frame is always fun as well as having bolt ^%&)&)*& bolt that doesn't go through the steering box.  It was late and my daughter was being woke up from me using the air compressor and banging my BFH.  So, I'm one bolt hole away from having the front steering box mounted and frame braced and sleeved.

What a weekend.

How we ended the night.  I need to die grind one hole on the steering box.

Steering arm angles.  Damn near parallel!  I'd call it perfect  :D

My dad was worried about cutting this much of the front support out.  I drew out the lines with a marker and he kept asking if I was sure.  I told him it wasn't a dang show car   :flamer:    :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Another shot of front axle.  Looks like a nice setup to me.

Passenger side shackle hanger, almost flush with rear of frame

Driver side shackle hanger, moved forward.  I was worried about the rear axle not being straight and tracking down the road correctly.  We measured a couple of different ways and we might be 1/8 of an inch off.  Not enough to get worried about.

Rear axle with some paint on it.  I ended up knocking off of the tack welded spring perches in the process of moving it.  NOTHING EVER CAN JUST WORK OUT FOR ME.  NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

I bobbed the rear section as well   :greengrin:
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!