Author Topic: 4xtoy's 4Runner buildup  (Read 5079 times)

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
4xtoy's 4Runner buildup
« on: Jul 11, 2006, 07:59:53 PM »
Just getting this started so I don't have a bunch of different threads all over. Anything I do will be posted here. This won't be a marithon build so don't get to excited :) I have to keep it driveable at least 80% of the time. Plus I will be building as I get the cash and parts.

What I am starting with:

'88 4Runner 300k miles
Auto
22re with engnbldr 268 cam rebuilt top end and 200k on bottm end.
custom intake
dynomax muffler 2.25" pipe
35" BFG's
1.5" NWOR lift torsion bars/springs
3" body lift
Ramsey Patriot8000 winch
custom bikini top
AutoMeter oil/water/temp.
Almost finished OBA

The lift and tires were on it when I bought itbut everything else I have done over the last year.

The target:
SAS with '85 axle 5.29's, Longs,  (undecided on locker type)
My 1.5" rears up front
F150's out back
Rear disks, 5.29's, e-locker
w56/dual tcases (no gears)
relocated gas tank
13" bed bob
new bumpers and exo.
half doors
36-37" mt's
and a bunch of other little junk

I just picked these up today. I traded for front and rear D44's. Toy axles aren't cheap around here.

It is complete from hub to hub and looks like it has never seen a trail in it's life. The seals are leaking pretty bad though. Time for a rebuild.

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: 4xtoy's 4Runner buildup
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2006, 08:04:43 PM »
Nice...good opportunity to clean and rebuild while it is still out of the truck.  Take the time to really spit polish it now, makes things sooo much easier to work on clean parts later on.  I highly recommend tractor enamel (black) for drivetrain parts.  Takes a while to fully set, but it looks nice and shiney and you can brush it on thick.

Good luck, have fun, order from Marlin!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2006, 08:12:07 PM »
I started on putting in a Taurus fan today. It came out of a 96 wagon with a 2spd fan. The shroud is an almost perfect fit. One bolt hole even lined up with the factoy hole in the radiator. I had to fab the other three mounts. I had to trim off about 1/8" of the water pump shaft and the studs for the clutch fan and some off of the elec. fan bracket to get the new fan to clear. I have about 1/2" of clearance between the water pump shaft and the back of the fan motor. It concerns me a little because one good hit and the fan and possibly the water pump will be toast. Does this seem to close to any one else?
I want to wire it up to utilize both speeds but depending on the complexity I may only use high speed. I also think I will put it on a switch/temp switch setup so I don't have pre heat problems. Any pointers on the best way to wire a 2 spd fan?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2006, 08:28:13 PM »
Bigmike has extensive details on wiring and switching a e fan

look at his buildup thread
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2006, 07:58:49 PM »
I checked out bigmikes build but didn't see anything on the taurus fan. however it's like 30+ pages so I might have missed it. I know this has been done over and over but I've run into a problem with the amperage draw on this fan and can't really find a solution that makes since.
Anyway how can I find out what this thing draws? I put a 30amp fuse in it and with 12" of #8 wire it blew in about 2 seconds. I then hooked it up straight to the battery w/o a fuse. and the wire got so hot you could barley touch it. Is this fan bad? It runs fine other than the wires getting hot. 
Also I bought a Hayden thermostatic fan switch and it has a relay that reads 40/50 amps. Would this be 40 or 50 amps?  If this thing pulls over 40 amps, I don't think the stock alternator is up to the task of running this fan and everything else on the truck.
I have heard only good things about these fans but never any problems like this. If someone that has done this swap could ring in and help me out on my problem that would be great.

Thanks,
-Chad

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2006, 07:08:28 PM »
bigmike this bigmike that...all i hear is bigmike. geez

oh, hey bigmike, whens that 3rz kit comming out? :greengrin:
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

ALCORN

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 122
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2006, 07:46:08 PM »
R U JEALOUS OR WHAT?

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:29:48 PM »
Hey...... no cat fights on my thread :shake:

:greengrin:

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2006, 10:14:42 PM »
Ok, i'm getting the fan done tomorrow. It has been tripple digits here for 4 days. And I have been working 9-10 hrs a day in it. I come home shower and hit the couch. screw goning back outside. But the heat is also getting to my truck. I have no shroud right now and sitting in traffic it quickly climbs to just under 210*. I am going to install a green led to let me know when it is running but I would also like a little red led in my instrument panel to let me know of over heating dangers. Is there any way I can wire a led to come on at a set temp like say 210*. I'm sure it would require another sender but I would like to use either the termo sender from the hayden kit or the sender from my autometer guage. I just don't know how to trigger the light at a set temp.

My guages are down low by the radio and a light in the cluster would likely get my attention quicker.

Something to this effect.
Here are my guages

The fan will be powered from the Acc switch located on the dash far left of my starter button. This way I can turn it off if needed. I am also going to use the a/c over ride option to come on when I turn on the OBA

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2006, 07:41:57 PM »
Things have been slow but I got my axle torn down today. I will spare the pics to save bandwidth. 
One question. Is pitting on the knuckles going to be a problem. It is not really bad but it is not smooth. I am going to get the housing all purdyed up next. Got the hubs torn apart and cleaned and painted today. Since I have the IFS stuff and will be swapping those on to the axle, I was thinking of doing a FF in the rear since I don't have anything to trailer it with, just enough to flat tow it.

I'll be changing jobs at the end of August with less pay so things may go even slower. I know, I suck at keeping the interest of all you hungry barbarians but this build is a cash only build. Credit cards are a spawn of the devil.

Oh one other question. Is the after market axle gusset worth it? I was thinking of building my own. The axle is an '85 so it already has the bottom gusset.

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2006, 08:07:25 PM »
Well the knuckle itself is cast so the outside is kinda bumpy...if you are talking about the ball itself, as long as it isn't SEVERE then don't wory about it.  The felt and wipers are flexible and will conform to any deformations.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2006, 08:39:06 PM »
oops sorry meant the balls not the knuckles. Also the most rust/pitting is on the inside of the knuckle by the upper knuckle bearings. When I get the housing cleaned up I will snap some pics of them and get some opinions.

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2006, 05:33:33 PM »
Ok, things are looking bad for the buildup now. I'm changing jobs as of Aug.4 and I will be loosing the use of a company truck. Which means The Runner will be a DD until next year when I can save some bones for a little car to serve as the DD. I guess I will ditch this thread and start a new one when things pick up.  :outtahere:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2006, 04:06:51 PM »
:rivers:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2006, 04:07:58 PM »
no need to ditch this one,  just put it on hold till you got the :bling: