Author Topic: How many religions...(Discussion Moved to Christ Thread)  (Read 76706 times)

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
I'm very curious about some of the SDA's beliefs, specifically the Saturday worship.
 I never realized how strictly this rule was enforced on your end.
At least that is what I thought because now I'm discovering that in your teaching Saturday worship is a salvation issue. What grounds are you taking that stand on?

Without over-simplifying it too much, it's the fourth comandment. It is quoted here.

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.  Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God.  On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, or your animals, nor the alien within your gates.  For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day.  Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."  Exodus 20:8 NIV

IMHO most of the Bible are guides and examples of how to live our lives. There are very few things which the Lord was adamant about, and those he made into "Commandments". He called them that for a reason. They are not the "10 suggestions" or the "10 things I'd like for you to do".

Man (in his infinite wisdom) found it expedient to make some adjustments to those commandments to better fit what he wanted to do (remember, God gave us free will). This has become tradition in many religions, and is practiced today by all but a few religions who use the Bible as their basis of worship. Many refuse to change because it would be too difficult and inconvienent.

Ultimatly, the way I understand the Bible, when judgment day arrives, we will be held accountable for how we kept the commandments. If we go thru life without ever knowing that the Sabbath is to be kept Holy (as many have not, and do not now), they are not held responsible, however if we know the commandment, and choose not to follow it, when we are judged we will have to answer for it.

Hope that clears it up some. Maybe some of the others can chiime in and clarify if I missed some points.

Erik :beerchug:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!