Author Topic: How many religions...(Discussion Moved to Christ Thread)  (Read 76588 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
How many religions...(Discussion Moved to Christ Thread)
« on: Jun 10, 2005, 09:31:57 PM »
I can tell from the different threads on this board that there are many religious people here and also some people that suspect that are not religious at all.  This thread isn't meant to judge in any way, I'm just interested to see how many different religions are represented.  This topic has great potential to grow into a great discussion as long as everyone shows respect to different ways of thinking.

The simple question is, "What religion are you, if any?"

The potential difficult question is, "Why?"

I'll go first...

I'm a Seventh-day Adventist Christian because I believe the Bible is God's Word and there is no evidence in the Bible that the Sabbath was changed; however, there is plenty of evidence that it was changed by man.  Obviously, I have many more reasons, but worshiping on the 7th day (Saturday) is a major distinguishing belief as compared to mainstream Christians.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2005, 07:21:44 AM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I'm also Seventh-Day Adventist. I was born and raised SDA and went to an SDA boarding academy through High School.  My dad kinda pressed it on me, but I really enjoyed it growing up,.  I havne't been to church much because I work weekends, but I still try to keep the faith as much as my job allows. (I work for a group home taking care of underprivileged teens, so I don't count that as breakage of the sabbath). 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Currently I go to a baptist church
Growing up, my family has always chosen to go to churches as we moved around (military) based on the beleif of the church, and the covenant of the church, not the denomination. 

My faith for myself is that God's one and only son Jesus Christ died for the sins of the world, and the only way to get to heaven is through belief in him.  No one is perfect, and no one can earn their way into Heaven.  Salvation is a free gift, and to recieve it you only have to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm also Seventh-Day Adventist. I was born and raised SDA and went to an SDA boarding academy through High School. My dad kinda pressed it on me, but I really enjoyed it growing up,. I havne't been to church much because I work weekends, but I still try to keep the faith as much as my job allows. (I work for a group home taking care of underprivileged teens, so I don't count that as breakage of the sabbath).

Where did you go to school?  I went to Campion Academy in Colorada, Union College in Nebraska and Walla Walla College in Washington.

My wife is a PA and works some shifts on Sabbath (Saturday), I have mixed feelings on the subject.  My Dad is an eye doctor and won't work on Sabbath unless it is an emergency.  The traditional stance of the Adventist Church is medical work is Ok, but I struggle with the idea of making money on the Sabbath.  I have heard stories about people purposely planning to work on Saturday because it was OK and it freed them up during the week to do what they wanted, that is WRONG in my opinion.

Here is a good link on the 7th day Sabbath for everyone to read:

http://www.biblelight.net/notsun.htm
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Where did you go to school?  I went to Campion Academy in Colorada, Union College in Nebraska and Walla Walla College in Washington.

My wife is a PA and works some shifts on Sabbath (Saturday), I have mixed feelings on the subject.  My Dad is an eye doctor and won't work on Sabbath unless it is an emergency.  The traditional stance of the Adventist Church is medical work is Ok, but I struggle with the idea of making money on the Sabbath.  I have heard stories about people purposely planning to work on Saturday because it was OK and it freed them up during the week to do what they wanted, that is WRONG in my opinion.

Here is a good link on the 7th day Sabbath for everyone to read:

http://www.biblelight.net/notsun.htm

I went to Feather River Adventist School in Oroville, CA from 7-9 grade, then from 10-12 grade I went to Rio Lindo Academy in Healdsburg, CA.  I work on Saturday and also get paid for it, I do have regrets about it, but it's survival for me.  The work that I do is very rewarding and it puts my heart at peace and I believe that it is one of the few jobs that are acceptable as far as working on the Sabbath.   I was goin to go to Pacific Union College, but they don't have what i want to study, so it didn' work out.  I am attending Las Positas Junior College right now, hopefully to move up soon.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Personally I see nothing wrong with working on a saturday or a sunday :dunno:  I have a Friday nightcollege class Bible study that I attend, and we discussed this a few weeks ago.  The conclusion we came to was based on that of creation.

God didnt need to rest on the 7th day, but he chose to to set an example to us.  The sabbath IMO isnt a set day, but a day set aside for rest and reflection, and worship.  What about preachers, who are paid to work on a saturday or sunday?  are they violating the sabbath?  I will try to find some of the verses we found during our discussion, and post them up here. :thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Personally I see nothing wrong with working on a saturday or a sunday :dunno:  I have a Friday nightcollege class Bible study that I attend, and we discussed this a few weeks ago.  The conclusion we came to was based on that of creation.

God didnt need to rest on the 7th day, but he chose to to set an example to us.  The sabbath IMO isnt a set day, but a day set aside for rest and reflection, and worship.  What about preachers, who are paid to work on a saturday or sunday?  are they violating the sabbath?  I will try to find some of the verses we found during our discussion, and post them up here. :thumbs:

Jason I'm not saying that people that work on my sabbath (Saturday) are wrong.  It just so happens that my belief is that in most cases it's wrong.  BUT if you don't believe in it then you're not wrong, it's simply your belief and I will not hold someone's belief against them.

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Well,even though I'm known as EL DIABLO to some,and INFERNAL to others,I'm still Catholic.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
i believe in what i believe in no god no higher power... all events are accidental, not realating to each other in any way... call it what you want.
You win some, you lose some.

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
i believe in what i believe in no god no higher power... all events are accidental, not realating to each other in any way... call it what you want.
My respect toward your beliefs.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
Christian.....aw your catholic infernal :headshake: my mom wont let me talk to you anymore

:joke:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile

I'm more into Darwin and this type of thinking
That's how I roll

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
I believe in God and I believe in the Devil. I believe they are all around us in the people. The good traits of people such as kindness, acceptance, tolerance, respect and an overall good nature is God. When someone can continuously abuse others and constantly do things that they know are wrong, they have the Devil in them.
I had the Devil in me when I was young and I hurt a lot of people, I am know paying for it. As I've grown older, I've continuously searched and will keep searching for ways to better myself. I am trying like the heck to pass what little goodness in me on to my three little ones who attend church often. They attend a Baptist church here in town and a Catholic church when they are with their Grandparents for occasional weekend visits.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints......MORMON  :yikes: I am from Utah...what did you expect?  j/k we arn't all that scary.  :thumbs:
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I have been baptized Roman Catholic, and Mormon, my mom's a baptist, my heritage would be Pagan northern European (the real religion that merged with the Roman Catholics, not the current crap), I have some native American blood too, and Irish. I'm so confused. :headscratch:
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2005, 11:01:05 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Jason I'm not saying that people that work on my sabbath (Saturday) are wrong.  It just so happens that my belief is that in most cases it's wrong.  BUT if you don't believe in it then you're not wrong, it's simply your belief and I will not hold someone's belief against them.

Dont worry, didnt take it that way. :thumbs: just saying what I think.

:beerchug:

-Ronald Reagan

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Wow, I was suprised to see that the two first posts were the same as me, SDA. It seems so rare, but things like this always happen and it reminds me how small the world is :)
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

orygunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -42
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
BIG VOTE FOR ATHIEST RIGHT HERE!

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
I think paying/contributing for church services is a foolish waist of money. Churches teach man's interpretation of what it thinks god is and wants.

I worship rocks. I don't actually work, I simply practice my religion about 60 hours a week.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Wow, I was suprised to see that the two first posts were the same as me, SDA. It seems so rare, but things like this always happen and it reminds me how small the world is :)

:yikes:   :usa:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile

The world is small, but the Adventist world is much smaller.  Depending on when FFC when to PUC we likely know a few of the same people.  My dad actually went to PUC for a while years ago.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
The world is small, but the Adventist world is much smaller.  Depending on when FFC when to PUC we likely know a few of the same people.  My dad actually went to PUC for a while years ago.

I know a lot of people at PUC.  I'm sure we prolly do know some of the same people! What a small world!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints......MORMON  :yikes: I am from Utah...what did you expect?  j/k we arn't all that scary.  :thumbs:

I work with a bunch of Later Day Saints, and they are almost all great people.

I respect people, but there is nothing wrong with challenging beliefs.  I am not an expert on LDS, but I do have a problem with the Bible not being #1.  Also, I have a problem with the "modified" 10 commandments that the Catholics have to match the "tradition" of the church.  In my opinion the Bible must be #1.

Keep in mind that I don't have any problem with LDS or Catholic people, just don't agree with their beliefs.

As for Sabbath (Saturday) keeping, the 4th commandment is very clear.

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.  Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God.  On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, or your animals, nor the alien within your gates.  For in six days the Lord made the heavens and teh earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on teh seventh day.  Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."  Exodus 20:8 NIV

As a note, the word sabbath is used in the Bible for both the Sabbath of Ex 20:8 and other religious holidays.  You will notice that the word Sabbath is always capitalized when refering to the seventh day of worship.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
You know I once approached my aunt's preacher (Trinity Baptist) and asked him why, if the Bible specifically states that the Seventh Day is the Sabbath, and that day being Saturday, why does he go to church on sunday.  He simply said "it's tradition".  We discussed it and he believes that it's too much a hassle to break tradition, so just stick to what most everyone else does. 

Well hey at least he's honest abou it

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
There are actually written Catholic documents (not sure what they are called without looking them up again) that say that the Biblical Sabbath is Saturday and anyone claiming to follow the Bible as #1 should worship on Saturday.  In fact, one Cardinal, I think that was his position, went so far as to say that Bible #1 = SDA.  The Catholics actually look at mainstream Christianity worshiping on Sunday as confirmation of their authority.  This is why they call themselves the "Mother" church, nearly everyone is following them in some way.

ihanberg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints......MORMON  :yikes: I am from Utah...what did you expect?  j/k we arn't all that scary.  :thumbs:
sweet im also a member of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints from california but going to school in none other than REXBURG IDAHO!!!!! im an R.M. from Texas San Antonio about 2.5 years ago !!!!

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
I guess I'm agnostic.  I will see what happens when I get to the end of the road.  From what I've read, there is another chance.  EVERYONE around me that does believe, are some of the most crooked people I've ever seen. 
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I guess I'm agnostic. I will see what happens when I get to the end of the road. From what I've read, there is another chance. EVERYONE around me that does believe, are some of the most crooked people I've ever seen.

I'm surprised that you have the experience that most believers are crooked people, that is sad.  All I can say is that humans are not perfect, or even good in nature, but God is and that is why we should look at him rather than those around us for an example.

As an agnostic you choose not to believe rather than actually believing that there is no god, correct?  What have you read that promises a second chance?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
The problem I see with any organized religon these days is that it is all about the money, give them your money and you are a good little (insert choice of religon here), if you don't your not worthy. This would be the main reason I have no church, I have faith and a belief but I say  :bull crap:  to churches.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
The problem I see with any organized religion these days is that it is all about the money, give them your money and you are a good little (insert choice of religion here), if you don't your not worthy. This would be the main reason I have no church, I have faith and a belief but I say :bull crap: to churches.

I partially agree with you, in my church giving is kept anonymous (with the exception of the treasure and in some cases the pastor) so nobody knows who does what.  The funds are Biblical, 10% tithe to support the pastors and then a free will offering that goes to many different things like world outreach, missions etc...  If the church requests money to allow people into heaven or for forgiveness then it is a sham because humans have no say in those matters other than for ourselves.