Author Topic: Don't Forget a Fire Permit  (Read 2905 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Don't Forget a Fire Permit
« on: Jun 14, 2013, 07:11:52 PM »
Yes you need one, even if you are using a propane, charcoal or white stove.....

Campers need permits, caution with fires
By Barbara Barte Osborn
bbosborn@sacbee.com
Published: Monday, Jun. 3, 2013 - 12:00 am
Last Modified: Monday, Jun. 3, 2013 - 12:17 am

Summer outdoor enthusiasts need to be careful while visiting the region's national forests, officials say.

According to Kit Bailey, the Eldorado National Forest's acting fire chief, unsafe campfires are the leading cause of human-caused wildfires in Eldorado and other national forests statewide.

"Many people enjoy camping outside of designated campgrounds and having a campfire, charcoal fire and using a portable gas stove. A campfire permit is required before any of these can be used, however," Bailey said in a written statement.

Campfire permits are available for free at any U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Bureau of Land Management or California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection office.

The permits are good until Dec. 31 of each year and allow the holder to build a safe campfire where and when they are permitted, according to a Forest Service news release. They also allow the holder to have a charcoal fire and a portable gas stove.

Campfires are not allowed in the Desolation Wilderness Area.

In the Tahoe National Forest, campfires and charcoal barbecues will be permitted only within developed campgrounds. Smoking will be allowed only in an enclosed vehicle or developed recreation site.

Portable stoves and propane barbecues may be used in backcountry areas with a valid campfire permit.

More information on the restrictions is available at www.fs.usda.gov/tahoe.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/03/5465756/campers-need-permits-caution-with.html#storylink=cpy
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Forget a Fire Permit
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2013, 07:18:41 PM »
So if you build a fire the exact same way, without a permit its unsafe, crazy.
And how does a permit give people common sense?
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »
Aw come on you know why, it's Big Brother looking over your back. They just want another list of people they can question when a fire-ring gets out of control and sets the forest on fire.....   still gotta get one though to not get cited.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
Ya I know, but still, permit or no permit, its more about common sense and I hate how everything we do requires a permit these days. I feel like my freedoms of a american is being trampled on. I just learned if I want to drive into the woods now, I need a discovery pass. What kind of crap is that.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »
Been dealing with a Discovery Pass around here for years in SBNF, unless they've changed the rules you don't need a pass to drive in the forest, you need it to park in the forest.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »
In Oregon you have the State Parks pass.  But you can go offroad, without any permit.  But if you go to a OHV area without the OHV permit them its a different deal.  They tried to make it mandatory years ago to make it mandatory to have a OHV permit if you were on a secondary gravel road.  But they never enforced it.  Another thing that pisses me off, even tho I pay property taxes that goes to County Parks, I still have to pay for a daily or yearly permit, just to park at a boat ramp.  I live near a couple places that I used to get a beer and sit on the river bank after a rough day, and now I have to pay extra to do that. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2013, 09:24:33 PM »
Park/drive, same difference,  its stupid. If I want to go drive up there, park and target shoot, I should not need a pass

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »
The states are trying to squeeze more money out of us.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2013, 10:09:30 PM »
Yeah supposedly the Adventure Pass funds go back into the forest for improvements... Yeah, Right.

85-4roller

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »
Dont forget you California bullet buying licenses & you beer drinking licenses.
Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
Apparently in CA campfire permits are attainable online in about 15 seconds and are free. You have to pass a 4 question quiz and then you can print out the form and you fill it out.

Link at the bottom of page

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_059516
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »
Yup, so no reason not to have one, just remember though fire restrictions still apply for any region, if they say no fires it means no fires even if you have a permit. Of course you can still have one in most improved campgrounds since they have permanent fire rings.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
Apparently in CA campfire permits are attainable online in about 15 seconds and are free.

Indeed! See http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=94024 It's nice that this is available online :clap:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
San Bernardino, Calif., June 20, 2013 - As the seasonal fire danger rises, forest officials are increasing fire use restrictions on the San Bernardino National Forest on Friday, June 28, 2013.

This past winter the forest experienced less than average winter snow and rainfall as a result of the second year of a drought, and the seasonal outlook again expects a warmer and drier summer this year with below average summer "monsoonal" rains, which could create the potential for large fires.

Forest officials are taking these steps to prevent human-caused fires and raise public awareness.  Most wildfires on the San Bernardino National Forest are human-caused and increased restrictions are designed to reduce wildland fires.  Forest visitors are reminded to exercise caution when visiting the National Forest and maintain a higher level of awareness with the increased fire risk.

Travelers and visitors can do the following to prevent wildland fires:
*  Be informed and abide by all fire restrictions.
*  Vehicles should always remain on designated roads and never park on dry brush or grass.
*  Use extreme caution around open flames or heat-producing sources.
*  Motorists, use your car ashtray instead of tossing cigarettes out the window.  Also be aware that hot brake shoes, hot exhaust systems, overheating of vehicles and dragging tow chains can cause fires - Keep tow chains high and off the ground.
*  Report all suspicious activities to law enforcement.
Fire restrictions and guidelines effective Friday June 28, 2013 on the San Bernardino National Forest are as follows:
*  Wood and charcoal fires are permitted only in developed campgrounds and picnic grounds and within agency provided fire rings or camp stoves.
*  Wood and charcoal fires are not permitted at Yellow Post campsites, Fisherman's Camp, Cedar Springs, or the following Pacific Crest Trail Camps:

Bench Camp
    Deer Springs
    Doble
    Holcomb Crossing
    Little Bear Springs
    Mission Springs

*  Campfire permits are required for propane and gas stoves and lanterns used outside of all developed recreation sites.
*  Recreational shooting is limited to Public Shooting Ranges operated under special use permit only, except those engaged in legal hunting.
*  An approved spark arrester is required for any internal combustion engine operated on designated forest routes. These include chainsaws, generators, motorcycles, and off-highway vehicles.
*  Smoking is limited to an enclosed vehicle or building, or within a Developed Recreation Site.
*  Fireworks are always prohibited on the San Bernardino National Forest.

The US Forest Service will be aggressively citing those who do not comply with the posted restrictions. Violation of these prohibitions is subject to punishment by a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than six months or both, as Class B misdemeanors under federal law.  Persons may also be responsible for resource damage, suppression costs and any injuries that occur if they are found liable for causing a wildfire.

Forest visitors are encouraged to "Know Before You Go" and call ahead to the local Ranger Station to check on location conditions and restrictions at the following offices:

San Bernardino National Forest Supervisor's Office
602 S. Tippecanoe Ave., San Bernardino
(909) 382-2600

Big Bear Discovery Center
41397 North Shore Drive / Highway 38, Fawnskin
(909) 382-2790

Idyllwild Ranger Station
54270 Pine Crest, Idyllwild
(909) 382-2922

Lytle Creek Ranger Station
1209 Lytle Creek Road, Lytle Creek
(909) 382-2851

Mill Creek Visitor Center
34701 Mill Creek Road, Mentone
(909) 382-2881

Santa Rosa & San Jacinto Mountains National Monument Visitor Center
51-500 Highway 74 Palm Desert
(760) 862-9984

Also, visit us on the web at http://www.fs.usda.gov/sbnf During wildland fires, follow us on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SanBernardinoNF  or on Inciweb at: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
Related articles

Officials Restrict Campfires Ahead Of Fire Season (losangeles.cbslocal.com)

- See more at: http://www.4x4voice.com/index.php/easyblog/entry/61-fire-restrictions-set-to-increase-on-san-bernardino-national-forest#sthash.SnImKIwi.dpuf