Author Topic: 85 Toyota ( no flex)  (Read 3253 times)

Calvinr13

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Feb '13
  • C
    • View Profile
85 Toyota ( no flex)
« on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:56:01 PM »
Bought a 85 xtra cab has 3 inch springs on front and rear has stick spring with about a 7 inch shackle but the truck will not flex for nothing and rides ruff what could be the issue ?

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: 85 Toyota ( no flex)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
They're probably ruff country springs which don't flex and ride like crap. Also, your shackle bolts could be to tight, something could be binding. Do you have a sway bar?

Calvinr13 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Feb '13
  • C
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:09:19 PM »
It's had rough country shocks so I believe your right about the springs I have a sway bar up front but not in the rear and also how tight should I have my shackle bolts ?? I would like to go with 4 inch springs all the way around what brand or what setup would you recommend . Thanks

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »
Take off that sway bar and go check if it flexes, I bet it will. Also, since it's an 85 I imagine it has push pull steering? This will limit flex as well.
As far as springs, I like ruf and Chevy 63s in the rear. But if you want to buy a spring theres trail gear and a few other places. But I'd suggest a 3 inch spring instead of 4, you'll still be able to clear 35s and 37s if you trim.

Zane

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »
i run 4 inch allpros up front and 63s in the rear and im really happy with my setup.

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »
It will require some fabrication skills, but inboarding your rear leaf springs is the best way to make a toyota work.  63s flex, but they are so long they get hung up on crap all the time, which sucks.  taking your sway bar off helps alot and you probly need to take the truck wheelin quite a few times to get those springs to break in and start to flex.  RUF works good too.  I would say that RUF and inboarding the rear springs would be the best possible way to make a toy on leafs work
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
Don't forget the factory torque rod on the front axle too, that will limit flex too.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »
I wouldn't remove the torque rod and not replace it with an alternative, when braking hard without it in stock steering configuration the axle can rotate and cause a violent right turn. I currently still have mine attached but have removed my sway bar and get decent flex. I have in the past removed the torque rod so I speak from experience. If you do remove it make sure to get a steering stabilizer shock to put in place of it. I have done this on other rigs and it does work since on a hard stop it will stop the axle rotation when it bottoms out but no longer restricts travel since it will run through its shaft as the axle drops on the left. Once I added the stabilizer shock the pull went away. I imagine a shock would serve the same purpose and keep you going straight.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

specialscottie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
X2^

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
I took the torque bar off my first gen, threw 35s on it and rocked it with no problems whatsoever. Stock manual steering, no stabilizer, stock front springs. Drove several hundred miles and did a couple tough trails like that.

specialscottie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »
You fit 35s with stock suspension?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
Slam on the brakes in an emergency and you will learn why that thing is there.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »
The easiest way to explain it to you:  push pull steering under hard braking the axle can rotate just like the rotation that occurs in the rear under hard acceleration. It will bump steer since you are holding the steering wheel and not allowing it to push the drag link, this will cause the vehicle to turn since the only thing that has give is the wheels. This is why you need something there to stop the rotation, even though it may not rotate a lot it can kick you almost sideways when you try to over correct the bump steer. This is the main reason you don't need it once you convert to an IFS box, no more drag link bump steer.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »
You fit 35s with stock suspension?

Yes, I did.

Rocksurfer, I understand why in theory it should do that, but I know from experience that that never happened to me. Whether it was because they were stock brakes so it didn't stop that well or whatever. But what I did was take a stock first gen, remove the sway bar and torque bar, then throw on some 35" km2s on it and went. I drove it that way for around a month, maybe more, before I went high steer.

Another thing that could have help stop me from experiencing why should of happened was the fact that it had manual steering, so it took more force than the axle would provide under braking.