Author Topic: whistling ,squealing,screeching motor (UPDATE)!!!!  (Read 7622 times)

deepsouth

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
whistling ,squealing,screeching motor (UPDATE)!!!!
« on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »
I just recently purchased my 1st toyota product,its a 85 4x4 with a 5spd and 22r.I paid a whole $350 for it and the truck is in surprisingly good shape.The truck runs well drives ok but has this ear pierce whistling noise coming from the engine.It has a wber carb on it and i thought at fist that was what was making the noise.Now I'm not really sure where the noise is coming from.It seems to be coming from the carb side of the motor but it is so loud Im just not sure.It is so loud it gives me a headache and my son want stay outside to work on it while its running.I have never ran across anything like this before.I'm pretty good at mechanicl stuff if I can figure out whats going on.I'm clueless about this.Shpould i start taking belts off to see if a pulley is going bad?It doesnt sound like that though. :help: ??? any body ever dealt with this before?
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2011, 09:38:24 AM by deepsouth »

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
Re: whistling ,squealing,screeching motor
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:20:46 AM »
Air leak, rod bearing or main bearing is my bet
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:30:12 AM »
without hearing it firsthand it is tough to tell......

i would start checking hte free or cheap thigns first...... pull the belts, see if it helps
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »
I had it happen 2 different times. A belt makes a much different sound than the sound I believe he is describing. One time it was the egr thats bolted on with 2 bolts on the back top of efi intake, it was loose, and whislting loud as hell. The other time, it was a rod bearing, and it sounded very high pitched, not really ear hurting loud like the air leak, but a annoying sound that was a very high frequency.

Coul also be pulleys or belts, but those made a way dif sound than my air leak and bearing did.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

deepsouth [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2011, 08:30:40 PM »
well i hope its not a bearing.thanks for the ideas.I just got through degreasing as much of the engine i can.Itr was covered in oil,it has a terrible oil leak.Looks like it is leaking from the front of the oil pan and a couple of other places.can i pull the oil pan in the truck or do i have to pull the motor doesnt look like a lot of room in there.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Probably not leaking from the pan, more likely the front main seal.  Do yourself a favor and get one from toyota, much thicker than the parts store seals. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2011, 09:14:41 PM »
well i hope its not a bearing.thanks for the ideas.I just got through degreasing as much of the engine i can.Itr was covered in oil,it has a terrible oil leak.Looks like it is leaking from the front of the oil pan and a couple of other places.can i pull the oil pan in the truck or do i have to pull the motor doesnt look like a lot of room in there.
yes you can remove the oil pan with the motor in the truck. if you dont have a lift just jack up the frame from the front bumper and put jack stands under the frame behind the front tires to keep the clearance you need.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

deepsouth [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2011, 06:07:49 AM »
alright thanks for the help

deepsouth [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
  OK,its the carb thats making the whistling,squealing noise.I've been degreasing the motor for the last couple days and noticed that after pressure washing that the squeal goes away,but slowly comes back as the motor runs.I got all of my exhaust leaks fixed so the motor is not as noisy now.It is def the carb I have sprayed around the base of the carb and the rpms hold steady,so I dont think i have a vacum leak.If u grab hold of the carb where the filter goes on and push back and forth the whistle gets louder then softer.Its a weber carb I have never fooled with a weber so I know nothing about them.The motor runs smooth and idles smooth.When u go to accelerate in 1st it kinda of stumbles a bit then runs right on,that maybe because the motor is not warmed up yet,not sure.I t looks like it has the 2 piece base on the carb.Anybody ever dealt with this before?Any help would be appreciated.

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
My webber whistles , I think the sound is the jets spraying gas in to the intake !