Author Topic: 93 toyota pu 4cyl knocking and squealing???  (Read 8755 times)

spacoli

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: 93 toyota pu 4cyl knocking and squealing???
« Reply #30 on: Nov 19, 2006, 06:45:52 AM »
I reset the timing with the jumper installed, it was around 5* infront of the 5*mark, so I guess it was around 0. Not sure what it was before when I had started this thread, because I adjusted it to increase the idle without a timing light.

I had set the intake valves to 7 and the exhaust to 10. I was going by memory of what I had read on this thread, seems like engbldr recommeds 7 and 9 and others have suggested 7 and 11.

The exhaust valves were tight with no noticable gap at all. I'm hoping this will take car of the hesitation at lower rpms. One of the mechanics said there was a slight miss and said readjusting the valves might take care of it. I had another guy listen to it after adjusting and he said he did not here a miss. My idle is allot better now.

I got a new one............... New drums and rotors installed now and I still have a bad pusating and vibration when braking.
Especially at low speeds.

Since it must be coming from something else, I figured I noticed it right after the guy who inspected had to remove the drums. It was obvious he heated them up to remove.

I'm not saying it's coming from the rear end, I'm not sure.

What could be wrong?
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2006, 01:28:37 PM by spacoli »

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 19, 2006, 11:54:01 AM »
Toyota calls for 8 and 12 with a warm engine.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

spacoli [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 19, 2006, 01:27:37 PM »
Yes I know, but allot of the guys on different forums say 7 and 11 work good. Ted from engbldr.com says quote from one for his replies
"I have always felt that .008" and .012" was a shade on the loose side. These engines do run noisy, after all the design is mechanical.
By listening closely, one will realize the click sound is at 1/4 of engine rotation, a mechanic's stethescope has demonstrated to me that it is the exhaust side that we hear.

The stock cam profile will accept .008" and .010" and this can help to ease the sound. But if the adjuster screw ends are worn, moving them exposes a different area, and the noise may actually increase at a closer setting.
Plus if worn, it is very easy to get a false reading since the feeler will read the widest point rather than the closest.
Trying to use "drag" as a guideline is very hard to do, these engines only have 60# seat tension in the spring, so a snug drag may actually be zero lash unless one has very good hands.
If the camshaft profile is other than stock, the lash setting may well be different than factory settings due to the lobe shape.

We suggest .007" intake and .009" exhaust on all of our designs for quietest operation, and we have even set the stock cam at that reading with no harm."

Thread link:
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=899759&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1