Author Topic: Ongoing w56 clutch issue  (Read 4779 times)

bryan89

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
Ongoing w56 clutch issue
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:33:56 AM »
Hi all,
I own an 88 4runner DLX (22re and w56). I have been on other forums primarily, but thought I would post this here as well.
I am having a clutch issue in my 4runner. it seems as though it is not engaging until the pedal is almost all the way out. (as if the clutch is worn out) but everything in this truck is BRAND NEW. i just rebuilt the entire engine and transmission for this vehicle. everything from the radiator to the drive shaft.
Allow me to give a history of whats going on so you can better understand my situation.
I bought this truck from a short sale in august. The PO only owned for a couple months and decided he didnt have time for it.
When i bought it, the PO told me the guy before him had just replaced the engine in the vehicle with an un-rebuilt original but original toyota engine out of a pickup that had fewer miles on it. he had been running it for about a year. while the guy did not rebuild the engine, he did put a new aftermarket clutch disc in there (parks auto parts) and reused the original pressure plate and flywheel.

When i got it, i decided the truck was in dire need of a transmission rebuild. so i pulled it. and rebuilt it with new oem bearings, seals, o-rings, gaskets and synchronizers. i also got some stuff from marlin including shifter socket and pilot and release bearing.
I threw the transmission back in with those new parts and reused the clutch disc that the PO had in there because i measured it and confirmed it was new. i also reused the original pressure plate because the clutch system was working properly before i pulled the transmission.
When i put everything together it worked great. the transmission shifted like new. I drove it for about 500 miles like that. just fine.

then i started noticing some dry starting issues on my 22re and it was burning oil. and overall just lacked power. since it was not my daily driver i thought i would go ahead and pull the engine and rebuild it as well. I completely rebuilt the entire engine with all new parts. This time i measured the runout on the fly wheel and checked for cracks, as i would basically have a new drive train this time. everything was well within specs. i still reused the same clutch disk because it was still new of course (only 500 additional miles since tranny rebuild). but i did opt to get a new oem pressure plate. the pressure plate i got from toyota is the correct part number. it is however a part revision, but according to my stealership, there are no notes that require a revised clutch disc or special throw out bearing for use with this revised pressure plate.

so i put it back together and now the clutch system is acting if it is just worn out. it wont engage until the pedal is almost all the way out. but everything is new or has less than 500 miles on it. 

before you ask, yes the system is bled and the slave is moving properly.

here are my concerns:
1. i noticed that toyota has a revised clutch disc listed for my motor, but as i said before, the dealership says there are no notes requiring it. maybe the new disc is thicker and while my disc is "new" its the older thinner style and is acting as a worn out disc?
2. I went back and looked at marlins website and the throw out bearing i received from them months ago for my transmission rebuild looks identical to the throw out bearing picture they have listed for the 90-95 4 cylinder engines (it has the orange ring on it)
The picture they have up there for the 88 4cylinder has no orange ring and looks smaller. So was I sent the wrong part? I suppose its possible, but i ran that throw out bearing for 500 miles without issue.

Basically, the only thing that has changed since my clutch worked like it should and now is the darn pressure plate, but I assured myself that it is correct. Maybe I just lucked out the first time and everything happened to work together?

Looks like no matter what, this transmission is coming out again to fix this problem.
In the mean time i plan to call marlin crawler and discuss this with them.
Any opinions, suggestions? I am open to em all
Thanks in advance
Bryan

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
Re: Ongoing w56 clutch issue
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:53:43 AM »
buy one of the marlin 1200lb clutch kits and never worry about it again will feel new each and every time you push the pedal for years and years to come :thumbs:
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:22:26 AM »
there are different clutch master cylinders.  one has more stroke than the other.  not sure which is which, but make sure you have the right clutch master cylinder and also check you clutch pedal adjustment. 
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

bryan89 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »
yotaneck,
i was considering buying the kit if the marlin guys can't come up with a solution for me . at least that way i know all the stuff is meant to work together.

super,
i was unaware of the master cylinders i will check into that. but as far as the pedal adjustment, i havent messed with it at all. i dont think it could have changed from messing with the slave, could it?

I did get a hold of joe and chris at marlin crawler. they said that i had the right part number for the release bearing, despite the incorrect picture. they are looking into the pressure plates for me.

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
Sounds a lot like a hydraulic thing to me.  Are you sure the slave is moving far enough.  I remember the first time I bled the system I was kind of surprised at the stroke distance of the piston.  You obviously know what your doing if you can rebuild the rest of the drivetrain, but just to say it, the piston is supposed to move almost the same length of the slave cylinder housing/body.

Good luck I know you hate to pull that damn thing again......especially if you really don't need to.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
If it shifter fine before you changed out some parts, then the clutch parts might not be compatible.  Because you revised one part and not the other part.  The clutch slave cylinder, and clutch master should still be fine.  I'd try to adjust the clutch under the dash, and if that doesn't work.  Then your next option would be to do it right. 

I'd order a Marlin clutch, I've got the 1,200, but I wouldn't hesitate on ordering the 1,600#.  And then get your flywheel surfaced.  This must be followed, cause the flywheel and clutch need to break in together.  And get the clutch machined with a 0.026 step into it.  I'm not 100% on that, call Marlin and they can tell you.  This is what Marlin has found out to work the best.  Install it and have fun.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bryan89 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »
thats about where i am now. i agree with above, my slave cylinder/ clutch master cylinder should not be the issue as they worked before and i havent disconnected any fluid lines or anything.

so the best that we (chris and joe from marlin, plus myself) could figure is that its b/c my motor is not the original motor, its an older one. according to them older 22re's use a larger 9 5/16 fly wheel. my 88 22re uses a smaller 8 7/8" flywheel. so when i went to toyota with my vin number they gave me a revised part number for a pressure plate for an 88 style 22re. well, my motor is "from an older toyota pickup" according to the PO. so its our assumption that its not working because it has the larger 9 5/16 fly wheel on it.

so its not really toyotas fault cause they can only go by what the vin number says.

anyways to remedy this problem, i opted for the "no way in hell its going to be wrong" approach. i ordered marlins 1200 # clutch kit for 8 7/8" fly wheels and a new 8 7/8" flywheel.

im going to pull it apart one last time.
now i know everything in there will be made to work together.

with this plus all the other parts i threw at this thing, i REALLY shouldnt have to open it up for another 300k miles!! :driving:

thanks for the help fellas!!!

ps. always measure you shiz!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
My 87 is using the larger flywheel.  But my truck was a 22rte and I converted it over to a 22re.  Using the larger flywheel, and the R151f tranny.

On another note, you won't be disappointed with a Marlin clutch.   :biggthumpup:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 12:22:57 PM »
just curious....what's a 22rte.............???turbo???

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »
just curious....what's a 22rte.............???turbo???

yes
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Bobby Hunter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 53
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Sep '09
  • Bobby Hunter