Author Topic: sweet85's clutch issue's  (Read 8292 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Update on clutch issue
« Reply #30 on: Sep 05, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »
....There is markings on the pressure plate from the throw out bearing but its like its not getting enough pressure for some reason because the fly wheel still spins!!
OMG dont try and run the truck till youpull the tranny again ,  a properly installed throw out bearing shouldnt leave any kind of mark on a pressure plate

you have either the wrong throwout bearing, or the wrong fork or both

pull it apart and get pictures of it all posted here ASAP
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: sweet85's clutch issue's
« Reply #31 on: Sep 05, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
if you start the engine and the fork/throwout bearing (installed wrong) can cause the clutch to explode
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sep 05, 2008, 07:58:17 PM »
Im not running it. I cant drive it at all. You could see even on the original pressure plate where the bearing touches. The pressure plate is painted. Its going to leave some sort of a mark after pushing against it so much. The throwout is exactly the same as the one that came off the original. Thats why all of this is so strange. It worked before and now it doesn't. And in the beginning I never even messed with the throwout bearing because the shop that I was using was closing and I didn't have time to press it off and the new one on. I put the new one on today though. Unfortunately I cant take pictures of it. Its my daily driver and I dont have my own garage. I am active duty military so I use our hobby shop on base to work on it.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sep 05, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »
Did you compare the two clutch's side by side to see if there is any difference?  You may have gotten the wrong clutch.  I didn't have any issues when I installed mine.  Never did a clutch before, and I just followed the instructions and it fell together. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sep 05, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
:headscratch:

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sep 05, 2008, 08:47:05 PM »
Yeah, when I took it out of the box I compared them. The sad thing is I've actually done one before. But this is so frustrating!!!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sep 05, 2008, 10:52:21 PM »
I can't help but think that maybe the hydraulics need to be properly bled. Only because it sounds like mechanically it is together correctly and you say the fork moves but doesn't appear to move far enough. A hyd. system with air will still let it move but not far enough once the load of the pressure plate is met.  Just a thought and probably worth trying.  :twocents: :crossed:

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sep 05, 2008, 11:02:22 PM »
My buddy had this problem after installing a marlin clutch

This may sound ghetto but....

...what I did for him was since the hydraulics were working fine and the clutch was put in correctly, I got a ratchet strap, put one end on the spring hanger and then put one end (the hook) on the fork. Then I started the motor and then tried shifitng and it shifted fine....

What I did was cut down a bolt about 1/2" longer then the old slave cyl push rod and the clutch worked fine.

In other words what I am saying is that there is probably not enough throw from the slave cyl and you will either need to do something about that or just take back the "performance" clutch and get a conventional clutch. Why? Because most likely that is the problem.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sep 06, 2008, 06:46:35 AM »
That makes alot of sense because the only thing that it could be at this point is the fork/slave. I put a new slave on yesterday and the rod inside is really long. Once it is installed, the rod doesn't throw no where near the full length of what it could. And the crazy thing is, its not really a performance clutch. Its just a $80 clutch from Advance Auto Parts.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sep 06, 2008, 08:46:47 AM »
thats why i didnt suggest lengthening the rod, BUT  on marlin clutches  you MUST lengthen the fork to slave rod or it will never  release

good call LB

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sep 06, 2008, 11:23:41 AM »
for sure...

just try my ghetto ratchet strap idea and see if that works, if it does, thats your problem :thumbs:

GET IT!!!

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sep 07, 2008, 11:44:01 AM »
I'll give it a try tonight and see if it works! Thanks guys! We will find out shortly.

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 07, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »
Well I dont have a big enough ratchet strap to get enough leverage to even budge the flutch fork. I'm going to have to figure out how to push it back. Its tough enough trying to put on a slave cylinder, much less with one that is a half inch longer!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sep 07, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
you should not need to modiy your stock hydraulic system to run a marlin clutch..... ive installed my marlin 1600 on 2 trucks now, and never did i have to modify the slaves

if you are modifying it to make it work, something is wrong
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sep 07, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
Well, I dont know why else its not releasing. I cant believe this pressure plate is that much stiffer than the original that it cant push hard enough for it to release. This might sound stupid but I guess it would be stupid to put my old pressure plate back on huh?

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Sep 07, 2008, 06:09:52 PM »
 :headscratch:

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sep 07, 2008, 06:23:12 PM »
you should not need to modiy your stock hydraulic system to run a marlin clutch..... ive installed my marlin 1600 on 2 trucks now, and never did i have to modify the slaves

if you are modifying it to make it work, something is wrong

Well first he doesnt have a marlin clutch

and second, my buddy had a marlin clutch and he had to modify his "stock hydraulic system" in order to run the clutch.

GET IT!!!

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sep 08, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »
I too never had to "modify" my slave cylinder.  :headscratch:

I think that you have a bad clutch plate assembly then.  per FSM!  The reason is you say the clutch cylinder is good, the slave cylinder is good, and they are bled, and no air in system.  The clutch was installed correctly, and you verified this.  Which leads to a defective clutch.  That's my guess without looking at it. 

So, your options at this point is, take it to a clutch guy, or go get another clutch, and try that!  Call a local tranny guy and pick his brain, that way he can talk it over with ya.

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sep 08, 2008, 10:54:05 AM »
Well first he doesnt have a marlin clutch

and second, my buddy had a marlin clutch and he had to modify his "stock hydraulic system" in order to run the clutch.

ok he doenst have a marlin clutch... issue is still the same, you do not need to modify the hydraulic system on a properly working vehicle..... now if said vehicle has been rolled 20 times and this issue is present, that is something else..... clutch replacements are jsut that, replace what was there, not require you to be an engineer to make it work
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sep 08, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »
Doesn't matter with a Marlin clutch or a over the counter clutch, you shouldn't have to modify anything.  I'm running a Marlin 1200HD and it fit perfect and fell together, like I knew what I was doing!  :cheese:

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sep 08, 2008, 06:48:40 PM »
Thats what I say. And I know I installed it correctly. I've done more than just this one. I called a transmission shop today and they said that the piece behind the clutch fork that it rotates on, kinda like a sesaw is probably worn out. They said that if that is worn it wont operate properly. But they also said the reason why it worked with the old clutch is because the old pressure plate was so worn it didn't make alot of difference. I'm to the point unfortunately that I dont have time to tear it down much more. It is my daily driver and I cant drive my wifes yukon forever.

kari-toy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sep 09, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »
hi, I had a very simmular problem once and after lowering the tranny 4-5 times i found out the clutch fork itself was worn and a little bent where it comes to the bearing. think you might have that left to check??? :inthedark:

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sep 09, 2008, 01:49:25 PM »
Well, I fixed it. As ghetto as it sounds the ratchet strap method worked. I bought a steel rod the same diameter of the slave rod and cut it about a half inch longer or so and it worked. Its funny because my grandfather has been working on cars for a long time and he even suggested try that.  :beerchug:

I take that back!!! :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2008, 12:37:49 PM by sweet85 »

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sep 16, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »
Here is the latest on the clutch issue. Dropped it again and come to find out the 8 bolts that hold the clutch on the flywheel and the 8 bolts that hold the shifters in the tranny and case are the same except the trans and case are about a quarter of an inch longer. Needless to say my buddy put the bolts from the trans and case on the clutch. Since they were longer they were bottoming out therefore not tightening as much as it should resulting in not enough pressure on the plate. Bonehead mistake. Both sets have 8 and are 12mm. ALWAYS SEPERATE YOUR BOLTS INTO SECTIONS!!!!!! And it helps not having a wife calling every 20min asking when your going to be done! :think:

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Sep 16, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »
That's great! Not really, but I mean it's funny and it's great that you've got it figured out. I know what you mean. When you're taking things out it seems like you'll know where they go....but especially in my case when 3 months went by before I put some things back together....uh...where's this go? I did that with an intake bolt and had a coolant leak when I filled my engine back up. Had to take the entire intake back off, found the right length bolt, now I'm good.
Zach
I like Yotatech

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sep 16, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »
Word! As much as we love these rigs they can be so frustrating.

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sep 16, 2008, 12:50:57 PM »
Im glad to hear u got it fixed!!!!   :thumbs:
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sep 16, 2008, 04:30:02 PM »
Thanks brotha! Meeee toooo!!!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sep 16, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »
Thankfully it was something simple (other than the labor to pull the tranny again)  :thumbs:

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sep 17, 2008, 06:35:36 PM »
Thankfully it was something simple (other than the labor to pull the tranny again)  :thumbs:

:psss: he did drop the tranny again

Here is the latest on the clutch issue. Dropped it again and come to find out.................

GET IT!!!