Author Topic: Clutch/Trans issue  (Read 3801 times)

nierema

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
Clutch/Trans issue
« on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:44:37 PM »
Was wheeling and about 1 hour in i was climbing a hill got to the top and tried to stop by pushing in the clutch but car keep on crawling forward. Turned the truck off. Popped the hood fluid was full in the master and when pushing in the clutch the fluid moved. Had a friend push the clutch while i got under and took a look at my slave cylinder and clutch fork. They both seemed to look normal going back and forth like they should.  But it does not go into gear? There is also very little pressure on the clutch pedal. Before i drop the trans for the 3rd time i wanted to get your guys opinion. Sounds like something with the release bearing. But hope not don't want to drop this thing unless i have to.

Edit: Slave cylinder and master were replaced 2 weeks ago, and all air was bleed
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2011, 04:28:27 PM by nierema »

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch/Trans issue
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say.  There was no pressure on the pedal but the shift fork still moved like it should? So the hydraulics are working properly, but there is no clutch?

pull the little rubber boot that covers the shift fork and get a flashlight and a mirror. You should be able to see through the window. However I am not sure that a through out bearing could fail in such a way. Mine seized one time, but the clutch still worked, just screeched like hell.... Even if it broke in half and fell off, I think there would be some NASTY noises coming from the bell housing. The clutch fork may still be able to engage the spring just a hair to make some more bad noises.  I am thinking maybe broken clutch fork, or even a broken spring? Anyway you roll the dice, if everything works up the the clutch fork, I would be getting ready to yank the tranny.

PZ

92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:39:19 AM »
how new is your clutch? your fork may have slipped out of thoes little clips on the t-out bering i had this happen putting a tranny back in a truck like the fork isnt completly in place and it slips out after a bit reach under and see if there is alot of movement on the fork with the truck shut off and no pressure on the clutch pedal if not then id say your clutch blew apart from the stress of climbing the hill in anymatter you ARE pulling the tranny to fix this problem it IS internal
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

nierema [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:21:27 AM »
Ya i dropped it last night and found a mound of my clutch in the case. What is a good long lasting clutch to buy?

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:28:17 AM »
marlin 1200lbhd youll never buy another clutch   http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty/heavy-duty-clutch-kit-1200-lb

get one of these as well a new flywheel goes good with new clutch if you cant i would HIGHLY recomend turning you flywheel before putting new clutch on it  get the heavy duty pressure plate bolts as well youll have a bullet proof set up http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/flywheel
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

TNRabbit

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Aug '06
  • TN Native languishing in MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:52:56 AM »
marlin 1200lbhd youll never buy another clutch   http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty/heavy-duty-clutch-kit-1200-lb

get one of these as well a new flywheel goes good with new clutch if you cant i would HIGHLY recomend turning you flywheel before putting new clutch on it  get the heavy duty pressure plate bolts as well youll have a bullet proof set up http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/flywheel

x2
TNRabbit
1994 DLX 4x4 Pickup, 3VZE, 5 spd
258k miles, AISIN manual hubs, 2006 Tundra 17" Alloy wheels

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:33:13 AM »
I have the 1600lb super HD, and I love it!

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:58:23 AM »
Ive had my Marlin 1200 NON ceramic (you dont want ceramic if you drive on the road) for 9 years now and Ive wheeled the piss out of it, towed loads I shouldnt have many times and its got probably 20,000 miles or more on it.   :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »
Was wheeling and about 1 hour in i was climbing a hill got to the top and tried to stop by pushing in the clutch but car keep on crawling forward. Turned the truck off. Popped the hood fluid was full in the master and when pushing in the clutch the fluid moved. Had a friend push the clutch while i got under and took a look at my slave cylinder and clutch fork. They both seemed to look normal going back and forth like they should.  But it does not go into gear? There is also very little pressure on the clutch pedal. Before i drop the trans for the 3rd time i wanted to get your guys opinion. Sounds like something with the release bearing. But hope not don't want to drop this thing unless i have to.

Edit: Slave cylinder and master were replaced 2 weeks ago, and all air was bleed

I feel your pain, ive got the same exact problem with mine, has been like that for about a year and a half now (no need for a clutch pedal at the deer lease). Ill be finally tearing into it next weekend to slap in a marlin 1600 and see what actually broke. by the way the clutch that broke was a $60 orileys
special.

toyota castine

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:19:46 AM »
Get what you pay for and it shows thag its always better to spend a little more it pans out in the long run

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »
Get what you pay for and it shows thag its always better to spend a little more it pans out in the long run
i have a 57$ clutch from advance auto parts i run 33's and wheel the heck out of it its holdn fine no slippage not even burnt yet lol but ya get a marlin i just didnt have the czsh when i needed a clutch

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
I feel your pain, ive got the same exact problem with mine, has been like that for about a year and a half now (no need for a clutch pedal at the deer lease). Ill be finally tearing into it next weekend to slap in a marlin 1600 and see what actually broke. by the way the clutch that broke was a $60 orileys
special.
The clutch disc grenaded in a million pieces and the springs were half broken on the pressure plate, ive never seen anything like it, live and learn. Anyway the marlin clutch is in, is it common for the pedal to be a little stiffer than normal?

sorry to jack your thread, but i didnt see a reason to start a new one, hope it helps figure out what is wrong with yours.