Author Topic: Clutch Issue  (Read 3265 times)

Toddstoys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
Clutch Issue
« on: Aug 27, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »
A few months ago I put in a new master and last week my slave started leaking so I replaced it now I have to let my clutch out 3/4 the way before it starts engaging and its slipping. is the new parts telling on a weak clutch?
I'm no mechanic please have pity.
When life gives you lemons squirt them in life's eye's and kick it's butt while it can't see....

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Issue
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
did you bleed them after installation, if not, i would look towards that first
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2011, 05:18:56 PM »
ya took what seemed like a gallon of fluid to get all the air out and with my son pumpin the pedal and not wanting to be you can imagine how much fun that was.
When life gives you lemons squirt them in life's eye's and kick it's butt while it can't see....

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »
Adjust the rod on the slave so it lets out earlier, probably not getting full engagement.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2011, 06:58:50 AM »
Adjust the rod on the slave so it lets out earlier, probably not getting full engagement.
I cant find how to do this in my book for some reason can you explain how to please.... its in my 82 4X4 pickup I mite should add every things stock.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
There are threads and a nut on the rod going into your slave cylinder.  Adjust it accordingly so it begins engaging closer to the floor, just make sure you remember to snug the nut!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2011, 08:22:41 PM »
This should fix your problem, it's pretty easy just a little bit of a twisted position to be in to adjust it. Good luck.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2011, 08:48:49 PM »
This may help.

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2011, 08:55:34 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2011, 07:30:41 AM »
I adjusted to specs and I have alot more clutch I knew I adjusted the master when I put it in but I didnt tighten the lock nut.  :shake: but my clutch is still slipping so im goin to try to re-bled it. do you men think it could be the clutch its self ie. pressure plate bein weak? it seems to be worse when its at running temp. tks for all your help gentlemen and tks for the specs OOPS they helped alot. ill bleed and update. tks again.

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »
I have re-bled the clutch and didnt find any air in the system. the arm seems to be moving enough in and out yet its still slipping. I can take off fine until I try to goose it and or if I try to climb something then it starts slipping. weak clutch? what do ya'll think before I spend 350.00 to change it out. tks for any input.

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2011, 01:10:04 PM »
dude, check the length on the arm coming out of the master to the pedal.  my new one from o'rielly's was way shorter and had to adjust all the way out.

If you still got the old one you can compare or maybe even switch the arm component between two if different. If you switch be careful that the travel of the pistons are same length AND location as you could F-up your new one.

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
ya I did have to adjust it almost all the way out just to get the spec height OOPS posted and I have more clutch now and my arm seems to be moving far enough to engage and dis-engage but its still slipping under stress.

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »
Pressure plate was weak. got the new clutch in today and workin like a champ.  :thumbs: Thank You Everyone for your help. now on to my electrical problem.  :hammer: