Author Topic: TG question  (Read 8801 times)

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2010, 06:42:27 AM by TacoRunner »
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Re: TG question
« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
Quoted from Pirate   http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852179

01-07-2010, 09:24 PM    #9  
250f4life
Wheeler
Member # 51984
Posts: 448  They charged me a re-stocking fee on an arm I broke just like that. Sponsored or not I'd use another vendor.

250f4life
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 250f4life
Send email to 250f4life
Find More Posts by 250f4life
Add 250f4life to Your Contacts

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2010, 07:04:19 AM by TacoRunner »

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

83yota5960

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 551
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Mar 13, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
hey guys i was curious about the tg saying they wouldnt do the warrenty on parts so i sent them a message about it and they repled with this so if you or any one you no had this done i think they will return you with a new part or watever.As the owner of Trail-Gear I obviously want to provide the best customer service in the industry.  If you have time, could you please provide detailed information regarding your buddies warranty claims.  I would like to dive in a little deeper to see what is truthfully happening.  We work REALLY hard to make sure that our customers are always happy.  I look forward to hearing from you as I am very interested in investigating your buddies issues.   
Generally most people that are selling used TG adapters, because they bought Marlin's.  

People generally can't justify spending the extra $ for Marlin's stuff, but in the end, they spend a ton more, cause they end up buying Marlin's after getting shafted by TG.  I've read about alot of guys sending stuff in for TG's "Lifetime Warranty" and getting denied due to "Excessive Abuse."
83 short bed yota 35's 5.29's 4.7 f-150's arb front aussie locker rear high steer ifs rear axle
83 short bed yota 31 a/t mild lift welded ifs rear axle
99 audi A4 as my new daily driver.

Snacktime

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Mar 13, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
My truck has some trailgear stuff... To say the least I have had to replaced every trailgear grease fitting. My front bumper moves way more than I like when Hi-lifted. Hence, I bought the truck with the parts and overall happy. Nothing has crapped, but nothing is what I would call top notch.

As far as customer service, trailgear was great, very pleased with a fresh bag of chinese hardware.
Lifted FZJ80 on 34.24534752" Tires...

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Mar 13, 2010, 10:43:33 PM »
This is the Marlinboard...You think you gonna get real answers? Think again.... ask someone who has both brand products before, thats where the truth comes from..can't trust one from either side....

FYI: my brother has  a Marlin adapter that had a bearing issue and got  it repaired, He has two other trucks of his own that has TG adapters and hasn't failed yet..and another brother that has a TG adapter also, no issues so far....You decide,,go wit your gut..............................................................."If it ain't gonna last,it ain't gonna last"........quit being BIASED and the Hate!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Mar 13, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »
Reading comprehension isn't your forte, is it?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Mar 13, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »
This is the Marlinboard...You think you gonna get real answers? Think again.... ask someone who has both brand products before, thats where the truth comes from..can't trust one from either side....

FYI: my brother has  a Marlin adapter that had a bearing issue and got  it repaired, He has two other trucks of his own that has TG adapters and hasn't failed yet..and another brother that has a TG adapter also, no issues so far....You decide,,go wit your gut..............................................................."If it ain't gonna last,it ain't gonna last"........quit being BIASED and the Hate!

I started out buying tg stuff, now I wont even call them for a warranty issuse anymore because as tg parts break I replace them with non tg products. Of course everyone (including myself) is going to say buy marlin on this board, but its no different than any other board when it comes to the quality of tg products vs marlin. dont think of it so much as "buy marlin" but think of it as "stay away from tg"

My tone was completely different 6 months ago, I was defending tg and even on here would still tell people to buy cetrain parts. Now, its between marlin, allpro(who also has high quality products),  and sky.

I will be the first to say on here, tg has always had the fastest shipping and best service, until you have a warranty issue... Ive never had to deal with marlin on a warranty issue because their products are top notch.. My first order from allpro, half of my packages were stolen off of my doorstep and I only had to call allpro once to let them know, they houded ups for me and got my new parts within the week. Thats what customer service really is.
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »
why don't you ask peacesells about his experience with TG and warranties.

Long story short, if they hassle you about warranty issues ask them what their "acceptable tolerances" are when they design their products... They will change the subject by replacing the product to keep you happy and shut you up. I preferr my adapters to be machined by a reputable company, not an 8 year old chinese kid with a harbor freight drill, block of the cheapest available aluminum, and an etch-a-sketch cad program.

beuff...

Oh, and by the by the way tacorunner, Im going back to a stock rear housing and building new bumpers... no more trail jizz products on my truck!
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Mar 14, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
dont think of it so much as "buy marlin" but think of it as "stay away from tg"

Well put!  I've never had all pro stuff but have had plenty of marlin parts and some sky, and both put out top knotch well built products.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Sleeve of Wizzard

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 293
  • Member since Feb '09
  • It's craptaculer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2010, 01:06:10 AM »
When I was still wet behind my ears I bought Trail Queer stuff until I rebuilt my axle using their parts and had to redo it all. I also bought two Bilstiens, brake lines, a drop pitman arm and shackles. I didn't know up from down and asked if they had a adjustable drop drag link for my stock 82 steering, the guy sold me the pitman arm for an ifs steering box and said it would work. I spent an hour trying to get the stock arm off and then my friend came by and let me know I was waisting my time. The brake lines leaked into the plastic outer hose and bubbled up. Every trip was painful and regretable. The office staff that I encountered didn't know what they where talking about and had no customer service skills at all. One guy even insulted my truck! Oh and The last time I went the guy didn't want to make change out of my second hundred dollar bill so I left without the parts.

My next trip was to Marlin and was greeted by very knowledgeable and curtious staff. they looked at my truck and talked with me about my options then gave me a tour of the facility and introduced me to everone including Marlin! I have not been back to Trail Gear sense then, I am tempted because of the prices but remember having to do the work of rebuilding my axle, knuckles, wheel bearings, and brake lines twice.

If you want to save a few bucks look for used Marlin, or All Pro parts, otherwise buy new.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2010, 01:40:54 PM by Sleeve of Wizzard »

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
When I rebuilt my axle the first time, the morons down there gave me samuari parts for my toy axle!
I will not buy tg anymore, slowly converting my rig to all marlin.
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #41 on: Mar 14, 2010, 12:40:22 PM »
dont think of it so much as "buy marlin" but think of it as "stay away from tg"

I like that way of saying it, and I think its more accurate than the way I was saying it. I'll start using that.

by the way tacorunner, Im going back to a stock rear housing and building new bumpers... no more trail jizz products on my truck!

Ya, after your DOM vs. HREW post thats probably best.  :beerchug:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »
devils advocate here.... when i break my marlin adapter... will i get a new one? that being said dude your asking whats up with trail-gear on an ANTI trail-gear forum everyone here is a marlin humper(not saying that is a bad thing) but to be honest with you i had a trail-gear sas on my old truck and a dual adapter had zero issues..... and it was what 500 bucks cheaper than marlin?

my truck now has a marlin adapter in it and its pretty good i havnt had any issues...

like said above things like solid parts are great to buy from them cause they are cheaper and more than likely your not gonna break that kinda stuff anyways...

My bottom line is this issue has been covered a million times on here and other forums... :pokinit: there is a sticky somewhere on here lol

i would challenge the no return .... everywhere on their site says lifetime NO QUESTIONS ASKED WARRANTY... i kinda see that being hard to get around maybe your friends bought stuff from them when they just started and didnt have that but come on.... its all over their site how are they going to deny you by stating you used it to much that is kind of a stretch for me to believe....
so tell us all why you pulled the TG adapter :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

94pickup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:13:33 AM »
he said he had tg sas and adapter on his OLD truck, so im assuming he never pulled the adapter and swapped for marlin. my guess is he got a new truck and wanted to try marlins and compare? idk thats what i would do. get first hand experience and see if i noticed many differences.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »
people need to realize

cheaper isnt better unless youre comparing apples to apples.

people also need to realize, the only way to kill a company like that is to quit buying their :pokinit:. period.

matt and the TG crew are all about "face".  try capping on TG on pirate, freakin' mods tear you a new one cuz lance and camo are buds with matt, or matt is the main sponsor of pirate now.

if a product or company sucks, you should be able to say so, not get chastised for saying truth.

i personally wont run TG anything on my rig,  i hate doing a job twice, and i hate TG and their ethics
hold this. . .

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
Pretty much any thread on pirate with negative opinions of TG gets deleted or locked. Its said but pirate is more of a business to Lance and Camo then just a hobby anymore.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »
yeah the big blinking TRAIL GEAR advertisment in the top right corner should give it away?
If you see it, its for sale.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Mar 20, 2010, 11:06:33 PM »
The joy of low price is quickly replaced by the sting of inferior quality and poor service.

I would rather live without while I save my pennies, and buy the best, and not have to worry if it will last. I've had enough bad experiences with buying the lowest priced item, and having to replace it only to find that I've spent more doing that than if I'd just bought the better, more expensive item in the first place. School of hard knocks experience.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Mar 22, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #49 on: Mar 23, 2010, 06:42:57 AM »
Warranties?  It pulled up a discussion on DOM tubing....

Sorry, fixed it

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Mar 30, 2010, 12:34:56 AM »
Every product is gonna have its bad parts...And most of the time it ain't that bad.." ITS THE DAMN CRITICS AND HATERS THAT MAKES IT OUT THAT BAD"..... You can't tell me that Marlin doesn't have any defected/broken products from its owners, CAN YOU?....A few friends have had broken MarlinTwin sticks, and after doing a bit researching, seems like they weren't the only one....So what?....don't say it cuz I know what yall gonna say." Its just a defected product, not all are like that".. TRUE.....But it only applies to what you're a fan of.If its the "OTHER" product, its doesn't apply........

Everyone knows exactly what I'm saying.....When TWO company DISLIKES eachother, their own "CUSTOMERS/FANS :bowdown: will go along with them......And thats what I'm seeing here..... So everyone can shushhhhhhhhhhhhh and quit bashin on each other....Everyone I know has both products on their rigs differing from one part to another and yet to talk smack when one may break.And we got PEEPS here choosing sides like HEAVEN or HELL......GROW UP...
        ..I've seen both products break, both customer service when doin Walk-in purchases,returns etc......Remember this, how you personally get treated inperson/phone will differ from someone elses.I say this because I hear people saying of how they get greeted at "ONE place" and how nice they are and helpful.Thats true to you but I say BS..i've been there, walked in and just get stared at like I was at they wrong place.Strictly ingnored.So can someone explain?....Not tryin to bust anyone balls or jump to conclusions but, i get looked at just like back in the days....yeah thats right, DUE TO MY RACE.... And yet at "OTHER place" I get greeted, hooked up on prices and deals and even get my stuff loaded in the truck..Super  prices out the door.....

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Mar 30, 2010, 01:13:38 AM »
Marlin replaced a 21 spline coupler that the warranty had expired on free of charge (replacing it with a 23 spline) and gave me a huge discount on a brand new set of 23 spline 4.7 gears because the 4.7 gears the PO had installed in the truck before I bought it were 15 years old. The old, inferior spline design caused the failure of my newer coupler. I had been running the dual adapter for several years and Marin didn't even have a paper trail in their records for receipts on the gears the truck came with. They still hooked it up anyway. Oh, and did I mention they also covered shipping both ways!? Would TG do the same thing? Who knows, but I think its doubtful. I do all my business with Marlin for the fact I have always gotten great parts, fast shipping, and amazing customer service. Not to mention they always take the time to answer any and all questions I may have regarding a part or an installation. Marlin Crawler is a good honest company in an increasingly dishonest marketplace and Marlin is comprised of nothing but the nicest people. They have secured my business forever as far as I'm concerned.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010, 01:24:16 AM by fortysixandtwo »
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

greg_k113

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 224
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Mar 30, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »
What about Trail Gears cross over steering is that ok cause it is alot cheaper

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Mar 30, 2010, 09:22:27 AM »

The TG steering does not come with greaseable rod ends. Instead it comes with TG's "greased for life" rod ends that don't have zerks. I like to grease my stuff though, dunno about you.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #54 on: Mar 30, 2010, 04:41:04 PM »
Getting beyond the loyalty issues, sure there are people that think one product better than another. I think what it boils down to is not just the reliability of any product but the support and backing from the company that the product comes from. Just like Jeep vs. Toyota, some people swear by them while others call them crap, I've run the gammet in that dept. and personally know that I prefer Toyota over Jeep for more reasons than product. I've seen TG stuff fail, I've seen MC stuff fail I've seen Toyota stuff fail I've seen Jeep stuff fail and what it comes down to is support. Try taking your modded Rubicon in for warranty work and get denied. Now take your modded Toyota in and except for what was modded they will take care of it. A friend of mine bought a brand new Rubi, lifted it and put bigger tires on, then took it in for some unrelated warranty work and got denied. My daughter took her lifted Tundra in and they didn't even give it a second look.

Now even though I don't go to TG I could, I do know people that can get me some great deals and probably no issues if I had any trouble with parts but from hearing and seeing the warranty issues that others have had I won't deal with them. I have also seen heard and experienced issues with MC parts and have never heard much in the way of being denied except in cases where the installation of the product was done wrong and even then have heard that they ended up taking care of the situation. I know Marlin tries to make some of the highest quality parts and products, sometimes issues do occur it's at this point I make my decision on if I will deal with a company. I'm not going to bash TG here it is not needed, they will ultimately decide there own fate. What I do know is that They are far from the top of my list to get products from, not just because of what happened here but it does speak volumes to me when a company tries to screw someone. If they will do it it upper business decisions, IT WILL TRICKLE DOWN to the consumer....... hey that one belongs in that other thread. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Mar 31, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
Haven't seen one failed yet...All I see as a down fall on either setups are the size of the TRE's..But that has nothin to do them..I like 1-ton chevy's

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Mar 31, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »
I sure wish marlins prices would come down and then offer the same qty of cool items on the solid axle swap that trail gear offers... (such as knuckle service kit, wheel bearing kit, axle truss and armor, greasable shackle bolts)..... then saving $450 on top of that... makes it hard to justify not getting it through trailgear..  and yes I have read the arguments and have also spoken to people who run trail gear on there vehicles now.. and with people I talk to locally that are happy with their products just about makes it worth the risk of getting their products and running them...

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Mar 31, 2010, 07:47:47 PM »
I sure wish marlins prices would come down and then offer the same qty of cool items on the solid axle swap that trail gear offers... (such as knuckle service kit, wheel bearing kit, axle truss and armor, greasable shackle bolts)..... then saving $450 on top of that... makes it hard to justify not getting it through trailgear..  and yes I have read the arguments and have also spoken to people who run trail gear on there vehicles now.. and with people I talk to locally that are happy with their products just about makes it worth the risk of getting their products and running them...

They can keep the bearings, they are junk and i wouldnt run them if they were given to me. But if free stuff is what sells ya then get, run it and hopefully all works flawlessly for you. I think Marlin just cares a bit more as to the qulaity that goes into his parts and that means something to me. And after going to 2 Rubicon roundups and meeting Marlin who is awesome, i will give him first shot at my business always. Thats just me though

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Mar 31, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »
They can keep the bearings, they are junk and i wouldnt run them if they were given to me. But if free stuff is what sells ya then get, run it and hopefully all works flawlessly for you. I think Marlin just cares a bit more as to the qulaity that goes into his parts and that means something to me. And after going to 2 Rubicon roundups and meeting Marlin who is awesome, i will give him first shot at my business always. Thats just me though

I bought their (TGs) diff setup kit and it had koyo and timken bearings.  Their trunion bearings though that is a different story.
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Mar 31, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
My rear axle bearings and knuckles service kit was junk. But that was 2 years ago.