Author Topic: TG question  (Read 8808 times)

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
TG question
« on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
im lookin to buy a used dual case set up and it seems like a lot of people that have them for sale either have trail gear adapter or gears. Im just wonderin if trail gear transfer case stuff is really that bad or if it would be fine? I know i put a trail gear sas kit on my buddys truck and it was kinda of a pile, would you guys hold out for Marlin stuff or settle with trail gear? Anyone here have trail gear case stuff break on them?

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: TG question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
most stuff from tg is cheaper made.  and the materials they start with is most of the time on the cheap side.
with that being said , if you can hold out for the quality stuff such as marlin then do so.  if not and you are real ruf with your rig then your giong to run into problems on the trail.    your choice.   that is my  :twocents:
i love oregon wheelin.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:38:26 PM »
Generally most people that are selling used TG adapters, because they bought Marlin's.   

People generally can't justify spending the extra $ for Marlin's stuff, but in the end, they spend a ton more, cause they end up buying Marlin's after getting shafted by TG.  I've read about alot of guys sending stuff in for TG's "Lifetime Warranty" and getting denied due to "Excessive Abuse."
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:48:05 PM »
Generally most people that are selling used TG adapters, because they bought Marlin's.   

People generally can't justify spending the extra $ for Marlin's stuff, but in the end, they spend a ton more, cause they end up buying Marlin's after getting shafted by TG.  I've read about alot of guys sending stuff in for TG's "Lifetime Warranty" and getting denied due to "Excessive Abuse."

Really? thats good to know. I always wondered about that lifetime warranty thing. I guess it doesnt help if it leaves you stranded on the trail either.lol

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:13:54 PM »
cheesemaker has a point with the excessive abuse thing,   if you take there product off the shelf that's excessive abuse to them.   if you buy it keep it in the box.    :rofl2: :yupyup: :rofl2:
i love oregon wheelin.

woodfella

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
Every single item I have ever bought from trailgear has broken, leaked or rusted in short order. They should put an experation date on that crap. :thumbdown:

DD85runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:38:29 PM »

haha just sold my TG adapter and bought the MC07
85 4runner: 5.29s, duals with 4.7, ARB fr, detroit r, hi steer, bobbed 12"
89 4runner sr5: sold
98 prelude: DD

12runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 113
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2010, 09:20:12 PM »
go with the marlin and never wory about it.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2010, 09:26:56 PM »
see what upset me was they HAD a lifetime warranty on something i bought and THEN CHANGED it to a one or two year?
someone needs to sue the piss out of them for there lifetime warranty, it says for OFFROAD USED ONLY.... and why would we be interested in a lifetime warranty if we did not INTEND to abuse our stuff.....  that is the whole purpose of there product, and no offense I think a judge would see it that way as well. we need extreme parts for extreme use and buy them for that reason. I think that anyone who has ever been DENIED due to excessive abuse needs to file a class action law suit and anyone who has been DENIED needs to get there product replaced with one that will handle such abuse without breaking as well as provide lifetime replacement if that product ever does fail, all at the cost of TRAIL-GEAR....
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
I agree
I used to only buy from them
I still buy from them but not certain parts
I personally regretfully think that they will put them selfs under.
they went up to fast, most business like that go under

Dont get me wront I dont want them to go under,
I have nothing wrong with them,
I know others do, but I dont.

I will buy solid parts from them
shackles
sliders
perches hangers tubes
diff armor
wheel spacers
bumpers, but no cause I make my own

I will not buy from them,
axle rebuild kit, shitty trinion bearings
leafs, They go flat to fast,
tranny parts

theres some on both I missed but you get the point

I would never bad mouth TG, they have always done me right
there in the biz to make money
and what ever goes on between the companys is there business not mine, If I can save a buck on parts that will always work the same I will.

just so we all know I love marlin and the forum
and I will always buy from them
you get what you pay for.

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 618
  • Member since Dec '09
  • Swap, Lock, and Rock it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:46:09 PM »
x2.. just stay away from the mechanical stuff they sell. and i heard their hardware wasn't that great either. nor their China bearings
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7
Dana 60 Rear; Danna 44 front; 5.89’s
249:1

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »
ya basically anything with bearings wich includes dual case adapters.

Bobby Hunter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 53
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Sep '09
  • Bobby Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:55:56 PM »
Marlin will stand behind his stuff and it's not gunna fail

Trail-Gear will not and it will fail.... a big chinese fail
Tech head for 2nd gen Runners

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2010, 06:23:34 AM »
Some of us that's been here for awhile, will never buy a TG part from them ever!!!  They are the Wal-Mart of the offroad industry.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:26:55 AM »
There is a reason they "ALWAYS" have the lowest price.

END OF STORY
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 994
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:29:24 AM »
I have pretty much taken up the philosophy of "If Marlin sells it, buy from Marlin and only have to buy it once."
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Custom rear frame and flatbed
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64521.0

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:45:33 AM »
:popcorn:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2010, 09:08:19 AM »
Bottom Line, spend the extra green and get Marlin gear!
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Jakesteads

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 842
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2010, 09:20:47 AM »
devils advocate here.... when i break my marlin adapter... will i get a new one? that being said dude your asking whats up with trail-gear on an ANTI trail-gear forum everyone here is a marlin humper(not saying that is a bad thing) but to be honest with you i had a trail-gear sas on my old truck and a dual adapter had zero issues..... and it was what 500 bucks cheaper than marlin?

my truck now has a marlin adapter in it and its pretty good i havnt had any issues...

like said above things like solid parts are great to buy from them cause they are cheaper and more than likely your not gonna break that kinda stuff anyways...

My bottom line is this issue has been covered a million times on here and other forums... :pokinit: there is a sticky somewhere on here lol

i would challenge the no return .... everywhere on their site says lifetime NO QUESTIONS ASKED WARRANTY... i kinda see that being hard to get around maybe your friends bought stuff from them when they just started and didnt have that but come on.... its all over their site how are they going to deny you by stating you used it to much that is kind of a stretch for me to believe....
I like Toyota

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »
So essencially TG has the same rules as harbor freight.  Don't buy anything mechanical from them.  Just things like pry bars and cheap wrenches. 

I plan to buy Sliders from them, well one of their local branches (Low Range Offroad).  But most everything else I will probably end up getting Marlin.  I have spent too much money buying cheap things my whole life and I always have to deal with replacing them with higher quality parts later on.

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 580
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
They are the Wal-Mart of the offroad industry.

Agreed!!! i bought a pair of front leaf springs with about a dozen runs on them and this last trip at TDS, i noticed that my runner now leans to the right about 2"....  I should have known better than to buy springs for $99.00 each.. my own fault.  :-\

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:29:01 PM »

Agreed!!! i bought a pair of front leaf springs with about a dozen runs on them and this last trip at TDS, i noticed that my runner now leans to the right about 2"....  I should have known better than to buy springs for $99.00 each.. my own fault.  :-\
  call them and they'll tell you that hanger and shackle tube location is critical with their springs, basically it's your fault.

i've had 3 people tell me they got that same answer like it's written down on a little card by all the phones.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
just the same IF it has a no questions asked policy, by asking if your shackles or frame tubes or front hanger are right... they are a false advertising, NO QUESTIONS ASKED means just that... I dont care if I put 54" boggers on my truck with a spool up front and triple cases with full hydraulic steering and the steering stops removed....  they need to CHANGE there warranty policy, because its not "no questions asked"
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
Bottom Line, spend the extra green and get Marlin gear!

x2, can't go wrong with marlins products
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:37:11 PM »
OK guys I think we all can agree at this point, simple fab stuff is fine but machined items are better left to MC and company. Lets be done with this one.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010, 08:10:41 PM by TacoRunner »

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
 :blah: :blah: :blah:
i love oregon wheelin.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2010, 05:44:24 PM »

Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:46 PM
To: Trail-Gear Technical Support
Subject: dirty 30s no questions asked

Im sorry to bug you, but I've become involved in an argument about your "no questions asked" warranty on some of your parts. SO, what I want to know is. If I put your 30 spline axles up front with 44" tires and an elocker are you going to warranty them every time I bring back a broken one? or is that some scheme of false advertising to get us to buy your product?
Not trying to sound rude, But, I'm ok with replacing a broken part. BUT I cant stand having to pay for something twice. Please let me know.

Thank You,

Matthew

Sr. we have no idea what you are running our Dirty 30"s in, nor will we asked. We have NEVER denied a warranty on a Dirty 30, and I cannot see why we would. You simply send in the broken part and we send another one out. If a question of mis-use ever came up we would have to give you a 100% refund, not deny your warranty claim. Again, that has never happened.  When you trust us with your purchase I can assure to you that we will do what we say we will do.

Sincerely

John Robertson
Sales Manager
Trail Gear

86toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 353
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Montana 4x4 Association
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2010, 05:59:10 PM »
interesting
T86OTA

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »
I had a buddy get hassled over warranting a rear chromo shaft that broke. Replaced it the first time after a bit but wouldnt replace it the 2nd time it broke. O think there sliders are junk, i bought some for my dads runner and thought dom is dom. Wrong, chinese dom is garbage. Not trying to bag on tg, i personally dont buy there product. Not that i have been wronged but i value the quality of my parts more than i value the price of them. :twocents:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #29 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:46 PM
To: Trail-Gear Technical Support
Subject: dirty 30s no questions asked

Im sorry to bug you, but I've become involved in an argument about your "no questions asked" warranty on some of your parts. SO, what I want to know is. If I put your 30 spline axles up front with 44" tires and an elocker are you going to warranty them every time I bring back a broken one? or is that some scheme of false advertising to get us to buy your product?
Not trying to sound rude, But, I'm ok with replacing a broken part. BUT I cant stand having to pay for something twice. Please let me know.

Thank You,
Matthew

Sr. we have no idea what you are running our Dirty 30"s in, nor will we asked. We have NEVER denied a warranty on a Dirty 30, and I cannot see why we would. You simply send in the broken part and we send another one out. If a question of mis-use ever came up we would have to give you a 100% refund, not deny your warranty claim. Again, that has never happened.  When you trust us with your purchase I can assure to you that we will do what we say we will do.

Sincerely
John Robertson
Sales Manager
Trail Gear

why don't you ask peacesells about his experience with TG and warranties.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2010, 11:16:56 PM by TacoRunner »