Author Topic: Swapped89 party bus picture update  (Read 179067 times)

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -171
  • Male Posts: 1,660
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
swapped do you still have the stock metal heat shield under your cab?

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
I used to on my old cab pretty sure this new one has it too. The heat barrier I ordered from summit racing came Sunday I'll take a pic to show you. I got one with foil type stuff on both sides hoping the foil will keep moisture out of the felt type stuff in the middle. It sais it reduces 90% of radiant heat and withstands up to 2000* f. I think it's gonna help alot :)
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
heres a couple pics.
frame stretch/sleeved area welded. The extra frame sticking out past that temporary rear cross member will be cut off, it wont be as long as it is in the picture. I sleeved 14" inside the frame.

Cab cut out for frame

Slider extension/brace

Long ballistic shock tabs. rotated 2" up from stock tab position. My truck is slowly getting lower and lower. Now the bottom of the shock body is almost flat with the bottom of the frame.

Ive done a lil more but just havent spent much time takin and posting pics.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
looking good man 8) Have you done the body mounts yet?

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
looking good man 8) Have you done the body mounts yet?
not yet. Can't decide if I wanna put a half inch body lift on or not. Without a body lift alot of the rear body mounts is going to hang lower then the frame because they have to go on the frame where it starts sloping up. But with a half inch body lift on the front mounts. It would allow alot more of the actual rear mount to be welded flat against the frame. But I am really shootin towards no body lift. I just haven't decided yet. I will get a pic of the insulating material I bought tonight too :thumbs:

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
not yet. Can't decide if I wanna put a half inch body lift on or not. Without a body lift alot of the rear body mounts is going to hang lower then the frame because they have to go on the frame where it starts sloping up. But with a half inch body lift on the front mounts. It would allow alot more of the actual rear mount to be welded flat against the frame. But I am really shootin towards no body lift. I just haven't decided yet. I will get a pic of the insulating material I bought tonight too :thumbs:
From the pictures it looks like the rear body mount is inside the arc of your springs anyways?

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
It is for now but the axle is gettin moved back 6-10"s still. Here's a pic of the insulation I bought it's about a quarter inch thick I think.

looks like foam in the middle from the pic. But it's some kind of fabric.

CrawlerBrennan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9207
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
how much was that? sorry if you already posed that I'm just not finding it.
Lets go camping

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
It was 62.97 shipped 48"x72" :thumbs: I got it instead of a spray in because I don't wanna hassle with cleaning the floor masking it blah blah blah.  This seems Easy enough and hopefully it'll work good :)

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
Are you still running carpet?

CrawlerBrennan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9207
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
let me know how it works!
Lets go camping

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Are you still running carpet?
Na I really don't like carpet. I bought some vinyl flooring off the Internet a while ago. I'm just gonna use the stuff that came outta my standard cab till I feel like forkin out more dough for some vinyl big enough for the extended cab. If u google vinyl carpet for Toyota and search a bit you can find some pretty cool stuff. The stuff I got is like 3/16" thick and molded to the contour of the floor.
let me know how it works!
Fo Sho :thumbs:

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
ya i'm gonna have to look into that cause i'm just rocking nothing right now :beerchug:

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I like my bare floor.  Easier to clean and I'm not worried about the factory deadener on the floor.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
I like my bare floor.  Easier to clean and I'm not worried about the factory deadener on the floor.
Thats why I have it bare so I can pull a few plugs and hose it out. But it gets kinda loud and hot on the freeway. I got rid of most of the factory deadener but it was a P.I.T.A

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
last night i got the truck sittin on all fours again. Today ima build a rear shock hoop outta some tube i just picked up and cut my old body lift pucks to make a small .5" lift. then ill tack the rear cab mounts. And just keep movin along from there :)

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
 :thumbs: Don't forget to take pictures :beerchug:

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
heres a couple i cant get a straight side view cause my shop aint wide enough but here ya go :)

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2010, 06:35:51 PM by swapped89 »

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
it's looking good :bandit:. Are you still looking for a clean bed to start with or just gonna cut up the old one?

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
gonna use the old bed for now. havent found a clean new bed yet :(

greg_k113

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 224
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
I love the wheel base what is it?

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
i'm not sure if the rear axle is moved back yet or not :dunno: but this was his plan :acclaim:

Ya that cab is like 11-12"s longer than the standard cab I think. :headscratch: the wheel base will be at least 6-10 inches longer then were it sits now. That will put the wheelbase between 114 & 118" stock extended cab is 122" I think. I wanna move the axle back far enough to clear the cab with 4deez.

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
It is moved in those last two pics. :thumbs:
thanks for the compliment I apppreciate it. :) Im really like'n it too.

I just got my new shock hoop tacked in with the shocks tabs and all. looks clean and its a lot lighter then the old setup. Old setup was made outta 1/4" 2x2'' steel. still gonna add a couple gussets were the hoop meets the frame but i like it. :cool:

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
Nice 8) can't wait to see what you do with the bed. Any specific reason you leaned the shocks backward?

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Nice 8) can't wait to see what you do with the bed. Any specific reason you leaned the shocks backward?
no specific reason. cept, i know that when shocks are at an angle in a way it makes them easier to compress.(a shock at a 45* angle takes less force to move as if it were straight up and down) makes it not so stiff on bumps. like if they are reasonably straight up you get all the dampening the shock can provide but if you angle the shock it compresses less over a bump and therefor dampening less. I had them angled in and back before and it wasa real tippy. so this time im tryin straight up and down but angled back. Also I think when the springs compress and the axle moves back it will straighten the angle of the shock and as it compresses more it might get stiffer.
Basically just tryin somethin different. Its only metal and I can change it if I dont like it. :)  Hope that makes sense. thanks for readin :beerchug:

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
Let me know how it does like this, i'm looking for something to do with my rear shocks and this looks pretty clean :beerchug:

mattlosch

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Sep '09
  • IBEW Local 48
    • View Profile
hey jason i got some marlin sliders never installed for a xtra cab if u want them we could trade since i got a single cab now.. i just noticed ur sliders are a little short
1983 caged, 22re, slammed

2006 cummins 6spd... somewhere around 750whp for a tow rig

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
hey jason i got some marlin sliders never installed for a xtra cab if u want them we could trade since i got a single cab now.. i just noticed ur sliders are a little short
I'd be down if I hadn't just finished welding them back on with new gussets and :pokinit: I'm just gonna intagreat my cage into something that will protect the vulnerable spot
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2010, 12:07:56 PM by swapped89 »

mattlosch

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Sep '09
  • IBEW Local 48
    • View Profile
its all good man, i will just cut mine down...
1983 caged, 22re, slammed

2006 cummins 6spd... somewhere around 750whp for a tow rig

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Got a lil more done today :)
painted the shock hoops/new tabs and gussets on the shock hoop and sliders.

finally welded in the rear body mounts. They hang low so I'm gonna gusset the back side ofth plate. Installed them on.

tomorrow after work Ima try and get the gas tank relocated.

gussets for the shock hoop :)