Author Topic: Bro-coma.. getting unbro-d  (Read 153526 times)

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
Bro-coma.. getting unbro-d
« on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »
Hey everyone,
I just upgraded from my 85runner that i built to an 02 Tacoma. Im not new to MC but i am new to the Tacoma section. I picked this up last weekend for $11,800. it has just under 70K miles. the guy i bought it from was the original owner and put at least 6k into the truck. its a 5speed trd sr5 fully loaded. the main thing i don't like about it is its lifted a little to much for my liking, but i figure that ill be able to get some decent money for it when it comes time to build.

it has a Tonneau cover, bed extender, stereo system, professionally chromed rims, high end alarm, lo-jack gps tracker in it, he tinted the windows, has smog legal k&n intake, flowmaster exhaust, 6inch fab tech suspension lift, 3in body lift, its also got 35 pro comps with about 70% tread. the whole truck is vary clean. he took really good care of it and babied the truck.

I want to pay a portion of the loan off (4K) then im going to start to build it. the majority of its gonna all be done at one. I plan on doing something similar to BoogerWeldz Tacoma build on the pirate forum. just to give you a small general idea.. its gonna have a d60 and 70. linked front and rear, dual ultimate's, and either 40s or 42s.

im gonna guesstimate and say that the build probably wont start for a year. but we will see. in the mean time im just stoked to have a really nice DD. although the build wont start soon, i figured might as well start documenting it now.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2011, 06:51:25 PM by -Matt- »

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
Re: 02 Tacoma
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
Those rims are fully bling!!!
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »
looks like a bad ass truck dude, congrats.
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »
this is what i was talking about on the river matt. you cant punch out your steering further than that unless you do full hydro.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9469712&postcount=407

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9469900&postcount=408

-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »
Nice trade off Matt.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2009, 09:27:11 PM »
thats really clean
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2009, 09:27:25 PM »
So...

Now you know why i went with the 3.4l?
:beerchug:

can't wait to see it built!

Sluice Box Hero

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -114
  • Male Posts: 637
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Tell your mom hi, and thank her for last night
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
bling bling
"You know that feeling right after you take a huge dump? . . . . Awesome"
-Cartman

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »
this is what i was talking about on the river matt. you cant punch out your steering further than that unless you do full hydro.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9469712&postcount=407

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9469900&postcount=408

ya ill end up doing that. id rather pay a little more for the forward swing than the regular ifs box.
So...

Now you know why i went with the 3.4l?
:beerchug:

can't wait to see it built!
o trust me i knew about the 3.4 from chrises experiences, it was only a matter of time. but i also wanted a newer vehicle in general. personally i wouldn't have been satisfied with a 3.4 in the runner. it would have been better but not what I was shooting for.

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:07:34 PM »
o trust me i knew about the 3.4 from chrises experiences, it was only a matter of time. but i also wanted a newer vehicle in general. personally i wouldn't have been satisfied with a 3.4 in the runner. it would have been better but not what I was shooting for.

Either way its a great motor!  :yupyup:
I wonder if it feels any stronger in a pickup over the heavy arse 4runner.  I still manage to get 17-20 mpgs with it though, hauling ass the whole time..

If you find out any tweaks that make it run a bit better, let me know!  :beerchug:

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »
i want the lift when you do build it.  i bought my 04 Tacoma for 16,999 back in 2007. it had 74,000 miles on it. it looks like you got a sweet deal. drive the piss out of it the 3.4s are so much fun. and make sure you change the timing belt. you should it before 90,000    :beerchug:

edit: and i would like to buy the rear axle as well
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2009, 09:34:33 AM by thegoofster21 »
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »
Either way its a great motor!  :yupyup:
I wonder if it feels any stronger in a pickup over the heavy arse 4runner.  I still manage to get 17-20 mpgs with it though, hauling ass the whole time..

If you find out any tweaks that make it run a bit better, let me know!  :beerchug:

i would bet that it would feel significantly different, the runners are quit a bit heavier. when i got mine it was a pig, since its right at 70k miles it was right at the point where it needed an engine tune up. so i put new plugs in (which were extremely worn out), new oil and oil filter, fuel filter, cleaned the intake and bought the special cleaner to clean the mass air flow sensor. i got Significant change. way more power and torque. it was such a drastic change i couldn't believe it. the main thing that did it is the new plugs and cleaning the air flow sensor.

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »

dude that is unlike any lift i have EVER seen! it looks home made and quiet frankly unsafe. it looks like some sort of strut system i don't know if it rides weird to you but that's kinda sketchy to me

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »
hmmm.... wheres the upper arm?   :headscratch:

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2009, 08:06:22 PM »
my buddy's Tacoma is EXACTLY the same..

And thanks Matt, yea ive done a tune up to it, i think i need to replace the 02 sensor though, mine has seemed significantly slower than normal for some reason.

88Rokyoat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2009, 09:14:20 PM »
nice dude.but that color is straight gay....
stupid people shouldn't have kids.

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »
dude that is unlike any lift i have EVER seen! it looks home made and quiet frankly unsafe. it looks like some sort of strut system i don't know if it rides weird to you but that's kinda sketchy to me

It is really weird, but that's how fabtech and I think procomp do the Tacoma lifts. It's like a modified strut but instead of a seperate coil spring it uses a coil over
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
nice dude.but that color is straight gay....
haha thanks mike... does this mean im not invited to your b day party?

the picture is taken at a funky angle, so it cuts off the upper arm. its a fabtech lift. supposedly, what iv heard from others its actually really nice. its pretty beefy if you were to see it in person. it also rides extremely nice. one of the nicest rides on a lifted truck that i have ever been in. feels like its stock.

lilbuddy

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »

dude you're an idiot. All Tacoma lifts are like that.  It's called a strut. Search on the Internet if you don't know what that is
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2009, 05:45:13 PM »
dude you're an idiot. All Tacoma lifts are like that.  It's called a strut. Search on the Internet if you don't know what that is

hey man ease up. i know how a strut suspension system work man but for off roading it is not a very safe setup. it is likely to bend the strut. i deal with desert racing. if you want to call me an idiot feel free just not infront of everyone.

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2009, 06:25:33 PM »
here is how every taco lift kit looks like when i look it up. they use a longer spindle and drop cross member. i have not found any that look like the lift on this truck. i'm not bad mouthin it i think it'll do great just just wouldnt last very long off road

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »
this is what i have on the truck http://fabtechsuspensionkits.com/toyota-lift-kits-19/05-09-toyota-tacoma-suspension-208/05-09-toyota-tacoma-2wd-4wd-pro-comp-6-suspension-lift-kit-59.html?zenid=d96dd397a1ce2d28c5e935e9463ac186
i have shown and talked to some of my buddies that have seen other Tacoma lifts and this one is much more beefy. some of the other lift have really weak struts, which will obviously break off road. ill post clearer pictures of it for some clarification in a few days. either way, there's nothing i would care to chamge and its all coming off within the next year.

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2009, 08:45:03 PM »
no those kits still use upper control arms not a strut i see it has fab tech coils witht bilstein shocks but 1. the threaded sleeve is upside down. sorry to be bossy but i would really like to see how the strut is mounted to the control arm. i am a little confused with that lift but if it works it works. i refer you here http://downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionComponents/1995-04_Tacoma.html  this might help out a little.

again sorry to piss anyone off

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »
the one from downy is a completely different setup, its a long arm travel. this is only a lift. i wish my computer wasn't being stupid couse id load some pictures to clear it up but im gonna have to wait till i get to my lap top in a few days.

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
no those kits still use upper control arms not a strut i see it has fab tech coils witht bilstein shocks but 1. the threaded sleeve is upside down. sorry to be bossy but i would really like to see how the strut is mounted to the control arm. i am a little confused with that lift but if it works it works. i refer you here http://downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionComponents/1995-04_Tacoma.html  this might help out a little.

again sorry to piss anyone off

The sleeve is not upside down smart one, look at the pic in the link you just posted...
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

88Rokyoat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 03, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
saw you driving around yesterday. looks pretty clean. Now start cutting that fawker up!

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 03, 2009, 05:07:50 PM »
mike, were the chp's still writing you up even after you got your mud flaps?

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »
Mud flaps are overrated!   :haha:

your tires don't even look like they stick out that far, did you get violations for that? 

88Rokyoat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 04, 2009, 02:06:27 PM »
Yeah I Got 1 ticket without any mud flaps and 1 with flaps. Pretty lame, It was the same cop too. He said I need fender flares and mud flaps on the front too. BS! yesterday I made some "flare extensions" that come up off the mud flap bracket to about the 10:00 position and out to the egde of the tread.
If I get pulled over again for mud flaps not being good enough, Ill will probably end up in jail. I will be pissed!

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 05, 2009, 07:44:13 AM »
Yeah I Got 1 ticket without any mud flaps and 1 with flaps. Pretty lame, It was the same cop too. He said I need fender flares and mud flaps on the front too. BS! yesterday I made some "flare extensions" that come up off the mud flap bracket to about the 10:00 position and out to the egde of the tread.
If I get pulled over again for mud flaps not being good enough, Ill will probably end up in jail. I will be pissed!

that sucks, ya i heard about you having problems with getting pulled over so i wanted to hear the story. when i build my truck i was also thinking about doing what u said, make a partial fender flare that will snap in with some big ass industrial buttons, that way i can take it off real easily without having anything left behind. it will look pretty gay with mud flaps and flares but as long as it keeps the cops away i really don't care how it looks.