Author Topic: ford focus and vw jettas  (Read 3189 times)

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
ford focus and vw jettas
« on: Jul 20, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »
lookin to get a new car for my girlfriend and keep ruunin across these and they are in the right price range
$3-4000. They are early 2000 models just wondering if anyone has any experience with these cars so far im getting mixed reviews on them. I dont really want to be stuck with a piece of crap that breaks down a lot. thanks for any help on this

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: ford focus and vw jettas
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
If you can score a good deal on a Jetta TDI you'll be King Daddy. Killer mileage and a sweet car to boot.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »
DO NOT GET A FOCUS!!!! :willynilly:

that is all...

Okay, really... my best friend has had two. They're money pits even with low miles. Not to mention they're gutless. She's on her second one now and right after she bought it the clutch went out at 35k miles - and yes, she knows how to drive a stick pretty well :yupyup: and her vehicles are dealer maintained. They're junk....
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2009, 07:22:30 PM »
Some people don't have issues with their ford focuses.  Then again, some people can walk through a mine field unscathed...

Jetta tdi fo sho.  Go talk to the guys at 02 motorsport on twin view and see if they know of any jettas for sale or if they can give you a good idea on which years to buy or avoid.  Good guys up there, just be prepared to wait cause they're usually crazy busy.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »
I'm not much help but I'll add my :twocents: anyway...  I like Jettas, with only few test drives under my belt, I like the way they drive & feel. But I've always been just a bit leery of their repair needs compared to, say, Toyotas or Hondas.

I also have limited experience with a Focus -- very limited, in fact, a one day rental while my Tacoma was in the shop after being rear-ended. It was a new Focus, only about 4K miles on it...  and I was not impressed. Everything about the car looked and felt cheap, cheap, cheap. It was not enjoyable to drive, and the driver's power window groaned and rattled going up or down.

Between your two choices, I would take a Jetta...  especially if it's a TDI. 
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
So why not get a Honda Civic/Accord or Toyota Camry/Corolla? Yeah you'll end up with an older car, but you'll have a BETTER car overall, including a heck of a lot better mileage (than the Focus anyway) ....

Tell ya what - test drive a Focus, then at the same lot or wherever you go, test drive an Accord or Camry. I dare ya :hahaha:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2009, 10:10:40 PM »
The VW TDI's get great fuel mileage and run pretty darn good when you chip them but they have some reliability issues.  My sister had one that had a whole slew of stupid problems.  They do hold their value really well though.   The Focus is a throw away car and Ford seems to be the king of losing value after purchase.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:33:26 PM »
So why not get a Honda Civic/Accord or Toyota Camry/Corolla? Yeah you'll end up with an older car, but you'll have a BETTER car overall, including a heck of a lot better mileage (than the Focus anyway) ....

From what I've heard, focuses get around 35ish mpg  :dunno:

a one day rental while my Tacoma was in the shop after being rear-ended

What?  When did that happen?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:50:19 PM »
My parents have a 2000 SE Focus Wagon (was originally my sister's) with 85,000 and a 2002 SE Focus Sedan with 70,000.

The only problems have been a fuel pump on the 2000 (fixed free as a recall) and an EGR sensor on the 2002 (fixed free as a recall).

Both have automatics and the Zetec (DOHC) engine.

And for some reason the 2000 wagon consistently gets better mileage........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2009, 12:29:20 AM »
I had 2 Fucuses & I didn't really like them cause the suspensions squeaked on both of them. I also had a Jetta & wish I still had it. The problem I had with the Jetta was the sunroof drains got plugged which is common & the gas Jettas burn oil no matter what you do. Get the TDI, a friend of mine gets 50+ mpg  :yupyup:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2009, 06:06:18 AM »
From what I've heard, focuses get around 35ish mpg  :dunno:

My best friend had the hatchback, 2 door with the Ztec and she only got about 20MPG even when it was new. LAME - if a car is that small it SHOULD get 35-45 mpg, but hers is far from it... her Focus Sedan she now has is about the same.

Her first one she had the timing belt break before 100k, and it was dealer maintained its whole life. Then the alternator, power steering pump, and the a/c compressor. The second one has already had to visit the dealer 4 times since she got it a year ago.

Also, I was amazed at the gutlessness of it. I had an '86 Honda Accord that could take the '02 focus in a heartbeat - NO JOKE.

beyondlogic

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 132
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
    • Bayou State Land Crusiers
« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2009, 07:06:01 AM »
i had an older 96 MKIII jetta(gas w/5spd), i loved it that thing was really really fun to drive.  it was fast enough to get out of the way and get in and out of traffic, you wouldnt win a drag race but was really fun.  i had a problem with the sunroof leaking and a big problem with electrical issues: the alarm would suddenly go off in the middle of the night or day, when i would lock it the windows would all roll down(so i couldnt lock the car and set the alarm), and the interior light would stay on.  i think they were all related, but i couldn't afford to send it to the dealership to get it fixed.  all that said i loved my jetta and still miss it.
89 3.0 5spd reg cab sht bed pickup, 33x12.5x15 mudrovers, open f & r, custom rear bumper and sliders, IFS Front, 3" BL.

www.bslca.com
http://forum.ih8mud.com/la-bayou-state-land-cruisers/215649-truck-work.html

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2009, 07:30:32 AM »
PM sent.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2009, 08:32:45 AM »
I don't know about the Focus but I have had my fair share of the newer VW's.  Don't get me wrong I really like VW's but we have owned a Jetta and a Passat which both recieved about $4000 in repairs.  The Jetta the entire cooling system was trashed which meant that everything had to be replaced, and there were a few other items that I cannot remember right now.  The Passat had electrical problems, and of course the only place that knows how to work on them properly is the dealer.  I replaced about 15 different sensors and the check engine and ABS light would come on before I could even get out of the parking lot.  The dealers in Fresno suck.  With that said I would go for a Toyota or Honda before I even walk on the VW lot.  Hope that helps.  I also know someone that had an electrical fire in her door because the motor to the power window wouldn't shut off (2 month old Jetta).

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2009, 03:28:25 PM »
thanks for all the info guys. I was reading reviews off the interenet but dont know if i really trust them or not.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »
You gotta take em with a grain of salt.  You can usually wade through the bs reviews and the factual reviews.  The people who usually write simple stuff like "it was a piece of crap" often give a reason that makes no sense or it was neglect on their part. 
RIP KYOTA

mima

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 151
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2009, 08:16:24 AM »
I just got a 2003 Jetta TDI about 3-4 months ago and so far I LOVE it!  I did a lot of lurking around here http://forums.tdiclub.com/ before I made my final decision.  This is the first time I've ever WANTED to go to the fueling station because it takes so long to go through a tank and I'm excited to see the mileage I've been getting.  If you end up going for a Jetta TDI, make sure you don't get an automatic(01M); they're notorious for problems.  Hope this helps! 
85 yota, 4 in AP, 529s and detroits f&r, 35 in bfg mt, bed bobbed 12 in, AP winch bumper, warn 9000xdi

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:18:41 PM »
DO NOT GET A FOCUS!!!! :willynilly:

that is all...

I concur, unfortunately I owned a fuckus and just out of warranty it threw a rod. FYI some Mazda's run the same motor.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
You can never lose with a Toyota Corolla.  :twocents:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:51:22 PM »
i work at a ford dealership and may be biased but i am also a veewee lover sooo....  We do see our fare share of focus, mostly the 03-04 and down..... Fords quality control has become way better in the past 5 years and we have very little non warranty repairs.... most of which are centered around the shifter and or auto trans. the suspension does leave somthing to be desired, mostly on the lower end vehicles were they bottom out easily.....

That being said, yes they are a econo-box, they are built "cheap" and sold "cheap", when you buy a car like this you shouldnt expect high end luxury or much quality for that matter

When it comes to the VW's they do also have there problems, the autos are prone to failure in the gas or TDI variants and the sticks have a weak overdrive....also see alot more electrical problems with the engine harness and the anti theft system...I will give it to VW however, they do have a really nice interior even in there lower end models, i particularly like the dash as its a soft type rubber material and would never squeak, the suspension on the vws are of an older design but work very well....The TDI's are an awesome thing to behold, i have seen DD TDI's that get 50+mpg and can go run a sub 14second 1/4 mile.... not to shabby but i would rather put the engine in my runner..

all this said, good luck trying to find a TDI for that price range (at least in my area)

Both vehicles have cult followings on the WWW. you can find perf parts everywhere.. But from my experience with factory replacement vw parts they are harder to find and more expensive....

If it was me, and i was looking for the same type of vehicle, (small eco box) i also would look for a corrola or camry, and if its got near 80-100k replace the timing belt right away and your good......

soo theres my opinion

Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2009, 11:37:43 PM »
focus=cheap junk