Author Topic: Alternator Upgrades  (Read 5197 times)

rickaholics 87

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Alternator Upgrades
« on: Jun 24, 2009, 12:14:08 AM »
I have a 1987 4runner wit a 22r im trying to find any upgrades for my alternator, a friend of a friend showed me some brackets where i can put a larger alernator in my truck. the problem is when i turn on my off-roadlights the battery gage goes down, i also have a a stero sysem in it when it 's just idleing bring the volume up on the radio the truck wants to shut off it has shut off a few time. i want to get rid of this problem if anyone can help me out i would appricate it thanks
 :)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Alternator Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2009, 12:25:25 AM »
I don't have a link, but do a bit of searching and you'll find a couple good threads on either upgraded toyota alts or chevy 1 wire swaps  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
As for your stereo, get a capacitor.  Here is some ideas.  They will help keep from killing your alt/batt.  They are a coil basically, ready to discharge voltage.
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/search/searchresults.aspx?SearchTab=Shop&us=2&search=capacitors

Search is your friend here, or the net, period.  If you got hours to kill, search Pirate4x4.  Glenn on Marlin has two alternators in his truck for when he needs the extra amperage.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2009, 09:25:20 PM »
Here is a writeup on installing a high amp Powermaster alternator on a 3.0 V-6. Embedded in the thread is a link to installing basically the same alternator on a 22r.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458156&highlight=OOP%27S
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

THE ROCK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 219
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2009, 09:26:36 PM »
try upgrading to the GM CS130 alt..I purchased some nice brackets for 55.00 from a guy on the yotatech forum..very nice :yesnod:..check "alternatorparts.com" and check out the Iceberg modification for the cs series alt-165 amps of squirrel bakin power! :crazy:..the stock cs alt( mine out of a 94 chevy truck, pulley swap necessary) cranks a little over 100 amps, more than 2x the power of the oem alt..40amps..also, consider dual batteries w/ an isolator and run your hi-load accessories off of the second battery :therethere:

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2009, 10:50:48 PM »
dude, just have a local shop do a high power rebuild on a stock alt. brodway auto elec in san diego here did mine for 200 and it chuns out 120 amps  suppose to be a 100 amp upgrade!

no mods needed!!!

THE ROCK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2009, 06:54:53 AM »
I checked 3 repuatable alt shops in sf bay area, and no one would do it...they all recommended te premier power alternator..its a bit pricey for my budget...200$$ is doable, over 400$ :shake_head:..but im sure their product is exellent :twocents:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2009, 06:58:08 AM »
dude, just have a local shop do a high power rebuild on a stock alt. brodway auto elec in san diego here did mine for 200 and it chuns out 120 amps  suppose to be a 100 amp upgrade!

no mods needed!!!

um, your stock alternator didnt put out 20 amps.... so i dont know about 100 amp upgrade

just get the bracket from yotatech and get a $80 alternator for a chevy.... problems solved, and way cheaper than a rewired alt, and readily available, cheap replacements should it be needed....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

THE ROCK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2009, 08:15:15 AM »
thats the bracket that I have w/ CS130 alternator..from a 94 chevy 1500 series truck..had to grab another pulley from the dismantler..(v-belt type), however, the serpentine pulley will work in V6 applications..w/ the "ribbed v belt"..per yotatech forum..get that engine done, jimbo?..hows the tranny holding up?

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2009, 08:22:14 AM »
I checked 3 repuatable alt shops in sf bay area, and no one would do it...they all recommended te premier power alternator..its a bit pricey for my budget...200$$ is doable, over 400$ :shake_head:..but im sure their product is exellent :twocents:

I had my 4Runner at Marlin's shop a few months ago, and I asked about a similar upgrade.  Without any trouble at all, Rocky installed a 1991-92 Toyota MR2 100 AMP Alternator, which has been great.  The part number is 27060-74180.

I saw this type of alternator online for $150 at:

http://www.alternatorsstarters.com/1992-TOYOTA-20L-wPS-To-192_p_25487.html

There are several write-ups on the web that describe and depict this installation.  Good Luck!

taco522

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »
I bought this same  alternator (brand new Toyota Denso MR2 100 AMP) from a guy on craiglist for $60. the plugs from the back are exactly the same. the mr2 just a little bigger. see pictures. You will need to swap out the pulleys. Your stock one is a single or V-groove while the MR2 has a wider, flatter groove pulley. Anyhoo, I used an old front bumper bracket, cut it to the appropriate length, drilled a couple holes, added a couple bolts and nuts, 1 hour later, I was done with the swap. the hardest part of the swap was to make the old pulley to fit with the MR2 alternator shaft. the MR2 alternator shaft is slighter bigger  :eyebrow:

I'm running dual batteries so I've noticed it charged up the batteries a lot quicker now.
It wasn't a bad mod to do and it was cheap to get from 60AMP to 100 AMP. Give it a shot  :thumbs:

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2009, 10:07:54 PM »
you are right stock is not 20 amp if i remember its 40 or 60, i was told by the tech that he could upgrade it by double winding it and putting in a better quality rectifier and something else.
he claimed output should go to 100 amps.  he said some come in at 90 some at 100 some at 110 with this upgrade it all varies.  for some reason  my alt pumped out 118 amps so i got lucky!!!

um, your stock alternator didn't put out 20 amps.... so i don't know about 100 amp upgrade

just get the bracket from yotatech and get a $80 alternator for a chevy.... problems solved, and way cheaper than a rewired alt, and readily available, cheap replacements should it be needed....

Mario

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2009, 06:59:57 PM »
I was having problems with my new alternator, it had the built in regulator so James at SDTruckshop.com set me up with his fabricated alternator bracket and ran the power wire straight to my electrical system. I get a steady 17 volts and I have not had a problem since.
1984 Toyota Pickup, EFI with duel cases, 5.29's in the diffs, 4" Trailer HD leafs in the front, Chevy's with 3" blocks and a track bar/pan hard bar in the rear with full exo cage.

Mario

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
Sorry, I meant 17amps.
1984 Toyota Pickup, EFI with duel cases, 5.29's in the diffs, 4" Trailer HD leafs in the front, Chevy's with 3" blocks and a track bar/pan hard bar in the rear with full exo cage.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2009, 09:45:14 PM »
 :headscratch: Last two posts!!

If your getting 17 volts, your basically overcharging your battery.
And if your getting 17 amps, your running off your battery, and not running off the alt.  :screwy:

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2009, 10:45:38 PM »
Werd, optima says max charge to the battery shouldn't go over something like 15.6 volts. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rickaholics 87 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2009, 02:28:59 AM »
i got some brakets from a friend of mine do it matter what year chevy the Alternator come from any sugestions :)

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Jul 07, 2009, 03:59:45 AM »
I bought this same  alternator (brand new Toyota Denso MR2 100 AMP) from a guy on craiglist for $60. the plugs from the back are exactly the same. the mr2 just a little bigger. see pictures. You will need to swap out the pulleys. Your stock one is a single or V-groove while the MR2 has a wider, flatter groove pulley. Anyhoo, I used an old front bumper bracket, cut it to the appropriate length, drilled a couple holes, added a couple bolts and nuts, 1 hour later, I was done with the swap. the hardest part of the swap was to make the old pulley to fit with the MR2 alternator shaft. the MR2 alternator shaft is slighter bigger  :eyebrow:

I'm running dual batteries so I've noticed it charged up the batteries a lot quicker now.
It wasn't a bad mod to do and it was cheap to get from 60AMP to 100 AMP. Give it a shot  :thumbs:

nice info thx
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 07, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »
i got some brakets from a friend of mine do it matter what year chevy the Alternator come from any sugestions :)

I don't know the years, but I bet if you just walk in any competent parts store and tell em you need a 100 amp 1 wire chevy alternator they'll snag you the right one.  I bet you could also find it in a couple minutes or so of googling  ;)
RIP KYOTA

Yotafoot

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 25
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2009, 03:43:02 PM »
I have an 83 toy truck 4x4 and have seen the mr2 upgrade on most forums but my question is my stock oem alt is externally regulated and the mr2 one is internally regulated..... has anyone seen a wiring diagram or can make one out for me before I tear into this?  Also is there a bracket out there for the mr2 or should I make one myself?  Btw the reason the mr2 alt. is so powerful is because it has to push electronic power steering  :P  along with everything else.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 23, 2009, 08:49:27 PM »
I dont know how true this is but I heard on "another" board that this guy can take your stock alt and rewind the wireing and make it put out 175 or so amps:
Ace Alternator (authorized PennTex repair station):
Attn: Greg
P.O. 9758
7185 Mohawk Terrace
Yucca Valley, CA 92284
760-365-5489
Let me know how it goes.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
First, I know this is old. I have 1 question. What do you do with the external regulator and it's wiring?
Time to go wheelin!