Author Topic: Best cordless drill  (Read 3028 times)

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Best cordless drill
« on: Jun 05, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »
What cordless drill is the best for battery charge, power, useability, price.

I have a black and deacker that doesn't seem to hold a charge.

I have a co-worker who has a craftsman but the chuck looses the tightness of the bit.

Tell me the pros and cons of different cordless tools, not just drills

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Best cordless drill
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »
my dad as a contractor ran an old makita for YEARS. it finally gave it up, although its possible he just lost teh charger or the battery was just done. but the last few years, probably 4 or 5, hes been using a DeWalt drill without any problems at all, although he has stopped being a contractor so it sees less work than the makita did. so id recommend a DeWalt :twocents: or makita
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2009, 11:21:43 PM by NorCalToy »
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
I like my DeWalt 18 volt stuff. You pay a bit more but I think it's worth it. The latest batteries they have seem to be holding up really well.
"between projects"

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2009, 11:14:53 PM »
my dad as a contractor ran an old makita for YEARS. it finally gave it up, although its possible he just lost teh charger or the battery was just done. but the last few years, probably 4 or 5, hes been using a DeWalt drill without any problems at all, although he has stopped being a contractor so it sees less work than the makita did. so id recommend a DeWalt :twocents:
That sounds backwards to me :dunno:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2009, 11:20:23 PM »
I still have my old Makita after 20+ years of construction. Its not as powerful as some of the ones they have out now, but it's still kicking.

I agree with DeWalt and also Ryobi makes some good ones.
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
We have a 19ish volt Ryobi at work and it's held up well, but their batteries only last maybe a coupe years of frequent use. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2009, 12:44:43 AM »
i used ryobi when i was working at a metal fab shop they were pretty dependable i really want to get the new ryobi lithium set

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2009, 06:47:24 AM »
I'm still using my dad's porter cable drills, which he's had for at least 15 years.  Going strong and they still have alot of torque.  Plus they have a high/low speed setting which is nice.  The batteries have a tendency to discharge faster now.  But they went from being used everyday, all day long, to sitting on the bench and being used for 5 minutes once a week.  But very good drills.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2009, 07:08:59 AM »
I have used many brands, all of them used the ni cad batterys. THey last maybe a few years. I have a craftsman now, 19.2. I might go get a ryobi next. You can get it in the ni cad or lithium. The main reason why I want is, you can buy many different tools for it without buying new batterys or chargers at the same time. Chainsaws, grinders, cutoff tools, skilsaws ect.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Desertyodaboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »
Go with Bosch. I have had my Bosch set for a few years and use it everyday on the jobsite and it still holds a charge and works like day one
1986 4runner

Straight_Axle_Swap_86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Jun '08
  • Build it, break it, fix it, repeat till your broke
    • View Profile
    • my 86 build
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2009, 05:07:58 PM »
makita came out with a fairly new one about a year age, they are small, black and white and have a light under the head. i forgot the model. i use makitas daily at work, i have dropped mine from a 130' boom lift and it is still alive.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2009, 05:09:53 PM »
I have had my 18v Cordless Dewalt for almost 5 years now. ive abused the crap out of it on a regular basis and it still works fine. Bosch and Makita are also brands i have had good luck with.
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2009, 05:28:27 PM »
We had Makitas at work for years.  They were replaced a few years ago with DeWalts, which have a lot more power (higher voltage too).  Mrs Stocker bought me a Milwaukee a few years or so back, and it seems on par with the DeWalts.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Male Posts: 231
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2009, 05:50:43 PM »
Depends on your intended use really.

After using an impact driver, I personally will NEVER use a drill to drive a fastener again. The biggest name brands will generally have the best features and quality, but you will pay for that. Almost every cordless drill out there now is Chinese too, so be aware of that.

None of the bargain brands out there will stand up to hard everyday use and live long. I've had companies hand them all to me, they all suck.

The new DeWalts suck. I had the last generation and loved it, used it up eventually, traded it in on the new model (made in Mexico) and exchanged the drill 6 times in 6 mos. When DeWalt decided to move it's manufacturing/assembly to Mexico they lost a hardcore customer in me. I've had nothing but problems with every DeWalt product I've bought since the change. Their quality control is really poor now.

Craftsman, Milwaukee, and Rigid, are big, bulky, and the batteries just plain don't last.

I personally recommend Makita, Panasonic or Hilti, Japanese or Swedish models only. But those brands come with premium prices too. I avoid ANYTHING made in China like the plague, but I understand that not everybody can afford to be that picky.....

If you can find a German made Bosch, then they're good tough tools too, rare, but good. The Chinese Bosch models are pale imitators of the real deal.

Whatever you do, if you plan to work overhead AT ALL, then pony up for the Li-Ion, you will never regret the decision.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
^^ x2. thats all good info splasher. my dewalt is one of the older gens and it rocks. but my dad did get one of the new ones and i got to try it out, and let me tell ya that thing was a peice of  :pokinit:
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

mudking82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2009, 09:08:28 PM »
makita came out with a fairly new one about a year age, they are small, black and white and have a light under the head.
I second this, as I actually have this model and use it daily.  I love it.  I have the smaller 1.5 Ah batteries on it to make it even lighter.  I never thought having the little light on the front could be so handy, I would never buy anything else after using this drill for the last year or so, unless Makita can make it somehow even better.  Compared to my old 18V Dewalt (which I had no problems with) this thing seemed like a feather at first.  The batteries don't last as long with continuous use as most others do, because they are smaller, but you get lots of power out of it while it does last.  And they are 15 min. rechargeable batteries too, so down time is low if you don't have an extra battery.  They are also slightly more compact then most drills.  And if you want the greater capacity, the 3.0 Ah batteries work on it fine also. 

For comparisons, most manufactures list all the specs on their websites for each tool, I know Dewalt and Makita at least are good at this.  And I agree with Splasher too.  If you are doing much driving of even semi large or long screws etc. without a pilot hole, get an impact driver.  Most big manufacturers make one that will work with whatever batteries you already have.  But I give a big thumbs up to the 18V Makita drill/driver that is black/white and Li-Ion.   

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Male Posts: 231
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »
But I give a big thumbs up to the 18V Makita drill/driver that is black/white and Li-Ion.
The 2 pack (impact driver and drill motor) can be had for a screamin' good deal too if you wait long enough. If they weren't Chinese I'd own a set.....

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2009, 10:58:29 PM »
i am a contractor who has owned several sets of cordless tools and have worked with people with several different types. i had a milwakee 18v set that i recently tossed out the batteries didnt last for :pokinit:, as did my dewalt set. my craftsman set pretty much disintegrated after the abuse i put it through. and now i have 2 sets of ridgid 18 volt tools. the first set is 4 years old and works as good as day one, including the batteries. they are cheap and have a great warranty  :twocents:
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!