Author Topic: Russell_G's 87 longbed build up. The door panels and interior wrap up.  (Read 145814 times)

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Well guys i drove it! I drove it from my house out to my buddys shop and open header it was insane!! trying to baby the truck so it wasnt loud as hell and because of the new gears...I got it out to the shop with no issues. No death wobble, the tires were flat spotted like crazy cause its been sitting so long but about half way to the shop the became almost round again. The ride was better then i expected on road. Rough dirt road type driving i really had to slow down cause that was a tad bouncy but i will live.

So its sitting in my buddys shop for the downpipe back. Im doing 2.5'' piping with 2 borla mufflers. I think it should be a good mix of tone and keeping it quiet. I was amazed with the 3rz power even open header. I was able to drive low rpm and have response to move with traffic.

87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

slabcs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 329
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nice, I bet that felt good.  I'm about to start on my dash and motor swap, glad I've got your build as a resource for questions.
Relentless

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Sounds good. At the shop we have 2 3rz tacomas and a few 4runners and 3.4 tacomas so if you need parts let me know.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Nice, congrats on getting it running.  I'd like to know what you think of the 3RZ after driving it.  I know an engine swap is in my future but am trying to decide on a 3RZ or 5VZ.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
Lookin good!! Cant wait to see some more videos!

I might need a few 3rz parts for my swap, ill be in ft collins in a few weeks too  :beerchug:
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Nice, congrats on getting it running.  I'd like to know what you think of the 3RZ after driving it.  I know an engine swap is in my future but am trying to decide on a 3RZ or 5VZ.

So far i love it. I have run in to one issue tho. My truck was a carbed truck before the swap and in my mess of gas tanks and pumps i found the best way to make it run was use a CIS fuel pump in my race car as an inline pump. This pump is high pressure and what i found last night much higher pressure then the stock 3rz pump. the truck doesnt like to sit at idle so it purges and sputters out. I thought with a regulator on the rail the unused fuel would just run back to the tank but its flooding out and wanting to die. Driving in traffic where the rpm's are up higher its fine and runs good but if i sit at a stop light a while it wants to shut off. Im going to either get a better inline pump or find a way to kill some of the pressure.

Over all driving impressions over the 22r/re's i had....The 3rz is way more powerful and the truck feels like it has power. My longest drive was open header and it had power but i was trying to keep it quiet cause i hate the noise but now i have half the exhaust on(cat to mid muffler and out to where the big muffler will go) and its 100X better the truck has response, it feels like if you were to put your foot down it would get out of its own way and even with the short exhaust on it the truck is not all that loud. I can hear the intake over it already and using a 2.5 pipe and an 18inch bullet style muffler it sounds nice. Im using another borla muffler at the back to keep the noise down even more.

Lookin good!! Cant wait to see some more videos!

I might need a few 3rz parts for my swap, ill be in ft collins in a few weeks too  :beerchug:

I will have to get some vids. I have taken a few pics and even gave her the first bath yesterday so i took a few more pics. I will get em up asap...free time is a thing of the past anymore with work,the truck, helping out at my buddys shop, looking for a house.

If your in FtCollins give me a ring you can come check out the truck in person and i can set you up on some 3rz stuff. We have 3 full swaps sitting in the shop.

Russell
seven two zero three two nine six three zero one
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
:worthless:

we need pics dude.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

93 tonka toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
i love your truck

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
thanks guys...I am figuring out im way over fueled. Id think that it would return the unused fuel to the tank but i dont think thats whats going on.

heres specs on the pump im using.

CIS system is rated at 148 L/hr @ 5 bar (39 gph @ 75 psi.) at 13 volts

now i wonder if i should try to regulate the pressure in line or if i should try to find a pump that has less pressure...any thoughts?

My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
thanks guys...I am figuring out im way over fueled. Id think that it would return the unused fuel to the tank but i dont think thats whats going on.

heres specs on the pump im using.

CIS system is rated at 148 L/hr @ 5 bar (39 gph @ 75 psi.) at 13 volts

now i wonder if i should try to regulate the pressure in line or if i should try to find a pump that has less pressure...any thoughts?

Uh.... I thought toyota EFI ran at like 58psi...
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
man... id be regulatin that pressure or change to a different pump.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
Cool man, Ill definately be giving you a call  :biggthumpup:

Id go to a smaller pump, even if you could regulate it down its still pumping an unneccisarily large volume of fuel through the return lines.  I was planning on using a yota pump. What gas tank are you running?
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I used the carbed truck tank for the ease of not fabing up a new filler or having to do any mods to my freshly painted body. If i can find a 22re longbed tank i will be grabbing it and having a fuel line made. The hard part is i moved my fuel lines over under the driver side so it was across the truck from the cat and piping. The line that runs from the lines to the tank is kind of a pain in the butt to have made. I have a few more places that may be able to do it when i swap over tanks.

My other thought is mod up the feed on the carb tank to put the efi pump in. I have the stock tacoma tank i can use the pump and sending unit in the carbed tank....Im thinking this may be worth an attempt.
My build

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Russell,

You might want to see if you can pick up a 2wd 22re longbed tank.  I believe they don't hang down below the frame rails - because of this, you will lose about 5 gallons though.  I'm looking into this for my '85.

Uh, just a after thought:  did they make a 2wd long bed with a 22re anywhere between '84 and '88?  I think the only ones I've seen are carburated.  You might have to stick with a 4x4 tank....

P.S.  Fabbing lines is easy to do.  I just took some measurements, made some bends with a handheld tubing bender and added some Earls fittings.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 11:27:20 AM by BUDDERS »
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I had a 2wd xtra cab and the tank didnt hang lower then the frame. I thought about using it but wound up passing it on. I may drop the tank and see if i can mod the pick up to fit the taco pump and run the wires up with all the tacoma plug stuff...what would be even better is if i could get the sending unit to fit too. Mine works now but i dont know how much i trust it. I dont think i have seen an efi longbed 2wd....all the ones around here are carbbed. Hmmmm....

I may look in to the Earls fittings. That would make my life easy.

Thanks for the info!
My build

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No problem :thumbs:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Pics...Its about time.
Interior almost finished up.

i had to try something different

playin on the lift

My buddy Bart did a great job with the manifold back and making it all fit. The truck is a bit louder then id like but its deep and not raspy at all so i will be happy with it i think.
My build

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Nice! I like the TRD!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
looks good Russ!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

dezrik

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Wow that interior seems...... crowded. Someone scratch that paint job so no one mistakes it for a mall crawler  :yikes:

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile

Front shackle angles look good, the 2 back angles aren't the same from side to side.  Also, you might try to get some more angle in them (30-45 degree angle back), it will make your truck ride smoother.
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road

94KRAWLER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
you do some awesome work man. it is all super nice.

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Wow that interior seems...... crowded. Someone scratch that paint job so no one mistakes it for a mall crawler  :yikes:

It is but im going to swap seats out soon. I just used them to drive it. they sit too high.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Front shackle angles look good, the 2 back angles aren't the same from side to side.  Also, you might try to get some more angle in them (30-45 degree angle back), it will make your truck ride smoother.

The rear was set up to be the same. The 3rz swap came after so heres the issue...I had the longer shackles on it and that was the angle so after driving it 5 miles it was normal but still not relaxed all the way out. I thought a shorter shackle would make it better and it went back to fubar. I almost took the bolts off everything and bounced on it and it got a little better but for some reason while the springs were offafter final welding and set up the angle of the rear changed. We have tried about everything and it always goes back to that.

this was after i pulled the bed and tank off and it went to that angle..not they are the same...Im going to try swapping springs side to side but the angle thing....I hope it just needs to brake in.

so somewhere the springs either were swapped or somethings hung up or both cause everything was welded on before the body came off. The angle didnt change with a shackle thats an inch different......any ideas?

btw i set the shackles at more of an angle then what TG's instructions suggest trying for a soft ride so they were pointing back when it was welded on. I have also added duals, a rear Xmember, sliders, 3rz, bigger Tcase Xmember, weight in the cab and my spare tire is in the bed in the new pics plus a bunch of parts :confused:
My build

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
looks well done man.   i like the white you piced out.  nice job on the whole thing so far. :thumbs:
i love oregon wheelin.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
the exhaust on my 3rz swap is routed the same, looks good, but with all the new pats, why are u using rusty used exhaust piping?

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
looks well done man.   i like the white you piced out.  nice job on the whole thing so far. :thumbs:

Thanks, I really like it.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
the exhaust on my 3rz swap is routed the same, looks good, but with all the new pats, why are u using rusty used exhaust piping?

Its just that section cause i had never found anything like that. Its 2.5 but flattened out to clear the rear axle of a vw and even the aftermarket ones dont get that thin. I wanted it to have as much room as possible cause the original plan was to go over the driveshaft but this just seemed to work out better. Im going to take the wire wheel to it to get all the nastyness off.
My build

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
I had an issue with my rear springs not being exactly the same length.  I ended up moving one of the shackle hangers more forward than the other one to get the shackles at the same angle.  I wouldn't make any changes to them until you know they are broken in (couple trail runs and some time on the street).  You then can make changes to them if need be.
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road