Author Topic: Russell_G's 87 longbed build up. The door panels and interior wrap up.  (Read 144391 times)

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 01:11:07 PM by 86rustbucket »

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thats awesome..  this past year I have had 3 mk2 (2 jettas, 1 golf) and now my daily is a vr6 b3 passat... which will probably end up being sold in the near future to buy the suspension for the new 4Runner :)

... 650 hp.. thats insane in that small car!!!
it was 4 really smokey gears and one really really fast gear. When the car caught traction it was painful to be in. I miss the vw world sometimes but then i think of all the money and bs i am glad im out. Im building my toy, a 79 m635csi that i will be giving to my dad for his b-day in a year or so and looking for an LS400 to do up VIP style
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
i think the economy has been a lot nicer to this dood than me and you dont see a bunch of chinese junk on my truck and i even live in fresno i could just go right down the street from marlin and save a little coin if iwanted to but i dont. and i dont go showing off all my marlin parts in those other guys forum either. :turtle: :usa:

I really just want to lay into this comment.. but its not my thread and Im not going to jack it...

Russell.. you got pics of the project for your dad, or a link?

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
whats with all the suspension and steering parts saying TG on them?  i heard you can get way better quality parts here
                                          http://www.marlincrawler.com/

Thanks for stopping by my thread to post, I understand the marlin/tg debate but honestly i got the suspension and highsteer at such a good price marlin couldn't have got close.......The other reason is i paid for it and grabbed most of it at the time i paid for it and the rest was delivered the next day because i didn't have room in the car.

Im not on here showing off my tg stuff im on here showing a different type of build...The suspension is a temp thing anyways..Im doing new running gear next year anyways....

BTW the economy has effected me just like everyone else. Im unemployed and NOT claiming unemployment but rather doing side work and filling in as a temp at my old work to keep the bills paid tel i get a new job.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I really just want to lay into this comment.. but its not my thread and Im not going to jack it...

Russell.. you got pics of the project for your dad, or a link?

Say whatever you would like to the guy...Hes going to post back anyways...people think others care about opinions....oh well..

I havent started a build yet but heres my pb link..

BTW the car is imported and everything is eurospec.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v147/vwfastg60/M635csi/

Plans are ITB's on the built motor and boost. My goal is to see 6-800wheel and be full show. The car is being blasted because of the rust and resprayed black. Cream leather and lots of little custom work.
My build

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 01:11:41 PM by 86rustbucket »

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
Thats way cool..  you have a lucky dad.. he must be a good dad! Maybe when my two boys are older they will build me cool projects!!

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
check out this cool site  [/colorhttp://www.trail-gear.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=57]

Nice FAILED link dork!

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 01:10:23 PM by 86rustbucket »

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
oh your gonna call names now what a peice of :pokinit:
it was a link to that company you are so loyal to
where did you go chimo?

hahaha.. dude you are amazing.. and yes.. I already have that linked.. in fact I am a member of that board.. along with pirate, timbercrawler, and many other forums!
So why dont you go back to playing x-box in your mothers basement listening to emo music and acting tough on the internet calling people names that would get you man slapped in a heartbeat!
Be a member on this forum for more than a few months.. get some experience under your belt and when you come to me, you better come correct! haha.. ( ripped that line from Biker Boyz)  :rofl2:

Seriously though..  if you want to talk crap start a new thread against me instead of doing it on Russells thread!

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 01:09:04 PM by 86rustbucket »

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
you no what chimo i was starting to respect your views because of some of your other posts but your view on imported chinese crap has made me lose all respect for you and if you wanna man slap me let me know if you ever head this way ill post up my address

If you want to start a rational debate about this then do it.. but dont flip out and call me a piece of $hit because I call you a dork!

btw - way to threaten me and cuss at me in a pm! Talk about respect!

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 01:07:57 PM by 86rustbucket »

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Sick truck dude. I like the painted tranny and cases, looks cool.

Definitely going to be a "new" truck when all said and done
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 01:06:55 PM by 86rustbucket »

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thats way cool..  you have a lucky dad.. he must be a good dad! Maybe when my two boys are older they will build me cool projects!!

He's great, He grew up with cars in the family and built old vettes. He does amazing P&P jobs and has been a huge help. Honestly with out him this truck never would have happened in the first place. I was 13 and working on weekends at a bodyshop to save money for my first car. The truck was a lesson on payments and at that point i learned i hate payments lol. I save for cars and only will have payments on a house. I'd really like to get the car published and hand him the mag and say here ya go...Its all yours...Enjoy and watch him open it up find the title and key inside the feature.

Sick truck dude. I like the painted tranny and cases, looks cool.

Definitely going to be a "new" truck when all said and done

Thanks, Everyone thought the tranny and cases was overkill but i have OCD so the truck even when it was beat up was always clean or as clean as i could get it at that point so this will make it easier to keep spotless and find leaks or whatever.

The goal is for it to be a new truck because i passed up a new tacoma for this build.

Russel G, sorry about all the BS in your build thread, and i didn't mean any disrespect by it ,and your truck is BADASS

Thanks for the compliment but im a bit thrown off by the BS that you came in here with. It didnt get to me more then make me wonder why you would even post or if it was just an internet tough guy comment to get something fired up like it did? I figure that the cheep made in china crap will last me a year or so so i can save some money and replace my daily and then i can go with Diamonds and links or FJ80 front and a FJc rear.....we will see.
My build

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
BTW the economy has effected me just like everyone else. Im unemployed and NOT claiming unemployment but rather doing side work and filling in as a temp at my old work to keep the bills paid tel i get a new job.

word! I too am "officially" unemployed... I've been digging ditches for cash since June, and I decided to go back to school. I've yet to file for unemployment. Kudos to you for doing the same thing. Another kudos to you for a sweet build. I'm doing an 85' 4Runner, but going back w/ 85' dash. My 3RZ is .030 bored over w/ stage 2 LCE cams. I'm getting the exhaust welded up in the next couple of weeks. I'm personally having to run the tubular header exhaust manifold instead of an aftermarket header. I couldn't bring myself to paying $400 for something, just to cut it up and it look like garbage. So, off the stock collector/down pipe, I'm gonna run 2 1/4" tubing w/ a 14" magnalfow. What side are you running your exhaust on? I'm SERIOUSLY considering just running it next to the t-case and dumping it under the passenger side... instead of paying an exhaust shop some ridiculous amount of money for a customer bolt on crossover(so I can remove the transmission). Keep up the good work. Also, good luck on finding a job... I know how rough it is out there.

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
truck is lookin sick bro! super clean
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 01:06:22 PM by 86rustbucket »

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
You guys dont have to be ashamed to file for unemployment, i mean they pay you based on what you paid in so basically its your money if you dont work you dont get none, you wont be considred a drain on society if i got laid off my ass would be down there the first day. Besides these idiots we just elected are printing more money than they know what to do with you might as well get your hands on a little. Its gonna be you and your kids and your kids kids that pay it back

The maximum amount the state of Ms will give ANYONE, whether you made $30K a year or $3 mil a year is $230 a week. I can make way more than that doing what I'm doing now. What does this have to do w/ his build though? Nothing.

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
What does this have to do w/ his build though? Nothing.
:werd:
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
word! I too am "officially" unemployed... I've been digging ditches for cash since June, and I decided to go back to school. I've yet to file for unemployment. Kudos to you for doing the same thing. Another kudos to you for a sweet build. I'm doing an 85' 4Runner, but going back w/ 85' dash. My 3RZ is .030 bored over w/ stage 2 LCE cams. I'm getting the exhaust welded up in the next couple of weeks. I'm personally having to run the tubular header exhaust manifold instead of an aftermarket header. I couldn't bring myself to paying $400 for something, just to cut it up and it look like garbage. So, off the stock collector/down pipe, I'm gonna run 2 1/4" tubing w/ a 14" magnalfow. What side are you running your exhaust on? I'm SERIOUSLY considering just running it next to the t-case and dumping it under the passenger side... instead of paying an exhaust shop some ridiculous amount of money for a customer bolt on crossover(so I can remove the transmission). Keep up the good work. Also, good luck on finding a job... I know how rough it is out there.

My plan is to run the exhaust out the passenger side to where the rear driveshaft starts to aim down and go back a bit from that and run it to the driver side. Im running 2.5 piping and borla mufflers.out the stock location with a nice looking tip. Id like to find a header but i dont have the money for that right now so i will have to go back and do that when i can.

Pumkin toy- Thanks for the compliments The economy post came up in the TG bashing that the rustbucket guy was doing.

Resume the build thread.....

I will get some pics of gutting everything out to paint next.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
OK so its time for an update....

Sooooo, I haven't been moving as fast as planned. Not only have i been working as much as possible im also taking on any and all side work i can so i can put the money away for interior and a new toy(not a car or drivable). My OCD went in to overdrive on the bay and rather then deal with the hole i cut in the firewall i thought sectioning the tacoma firewall would be the answer. After talking to my buddy bart and getting his feedback i went for it. Bart came up and cut it all up and welded the new plate in and took care of some of the spotwelds i drilled out for the old battery tray. His fab work always amazes me.

So when we left early a.m. the truck still needed to have a few welds ground down and then mud work. So today i went over to the shop about 4 and went nuts. I metal shaped where the shock towers go to make a bit of extra room so they dont rub if the body moves, Mudded them and sanded em down, Mudded the firewall where bart welded up the tacoma section and plugged off the old heatercore line on the drivers side. I think the way it turns out looks factory and weird at the same time...Dont get me wrong i think its bad ass i just have to adjust. I also ground out the old battery tray area where the welds were done and smoothed it out. Got the floor cut and cleaned up for the duals and because im using a 2wd cab the shifters didnt fit right.

Enough talk on to the pics.
Shock tower area and old battery tray area primed

Drivers tower and bracket for the tacoma fuseblock primed.

Tacoma area and shaved hole for the old heatercore.

The whole thing together...I wanna block it out and sand the bay in the other areas again because the rust stuff i used on the cab is garbage

The floor. I didnt get fancy with the cuts on the rear case but i have a nice boot that covers it all up and a console.

I also had to weld the body mount together from where i cut it for the powersterring box. I ground it all out and had to move the inner fender area over another 3/4 inch so it didnt rub and make noise over bumps..Plus the cab wouldnt line up as it was.

I seam sealed everything on the cab i could find so that i wouldnt be dealing with rust. Some gaps were open really far so i cleaned them and pinched them back together with some seam sealer inside.

So that has tonight and tomorrow to dry so i can prep the underside of the truck and inside for the next step.

Gotta kill the noise. My buddy ben hooked me up with 3+ gallons of this stuff cause it would go bad by the time he got back from playing army. The idea is cover the bottom and inside of the cab then paint over it so it has a nice texture(spray gun to the left) and will be clean and quiet. After i finish that on the inside of the cab i will paint the bottom, inside and bay of the truck and start the mat of the full inside of the truck. Remember im going for lexus quiet on this truck cause it will be a daily in the winter and i drive 80+ miles a day. I can then throw in the wiring, finish the dash and throw new carpet in and block the cab, jam the doors and hood. Nate has some filler work to do from the bed bob(great bodyguy) and the smashed up bedside on the used bed i picked up but then i can paint it finish putting it together and drive it!!!!
My build

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Very nice! I wish I had seen your thread earlier. I'm doing a 3rd gen dash swap into a 1st gen. My mistake was doing all the paint work before the dash mock up. Nothing fits, nothing. You have my respect for your quality of workmanship and attention to detail.

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thanks, I hate the idea of cutting new paint or drilling in to it so i wanted it all ready to go and make sure it all fit. I had lots of smashing to do for the heater box to fit correctly and would have been in tears if i had to beat on the new paint.
My build

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
I ended up using the 83 heater/AC unit, and transfered the electronics from the 91 so I didn't have to mess with the loom. I think I can finish the duct work using flex tube (like dryer vent, but smaller). The rest of the switches (brake,clutch etc) transfer over.

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
that vibration coating will be nice!  lookin great so far man!
97 4runner Limited

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
After spraying the noise killer im not looking forward to ever using it again. It was a mess. Its all over the shop in little dots and i had the gun clog and then spray a huge stream of it allover the wall and roof. Im glad its over. I was planning on using it on the bottom of the bed but i think i will have it linex'ed or something....I still have a gallon left so i guess i will see when i get to that point.

I have pics but dont feel like pulling them off my phone right now so i will post them in a few hours when i get back online.
My build

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
ah that sounds like a pretty messy job!
97 4runner Limited

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
never again!

pics are up.

I just need to resand the bay and jams for overspray of this crap. After that i can paint the bay and underside of the cab and inside. After that body work on the bed and doors goes down and i can paint it and buy it. Now work on it tel sunday if im lucky. Im wheeling and watching the olympia this weekend.
My build