Author Topic: 93 IFS Curb Crawler  (Read 45327 times)

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
93 IFS Curb Crawler
« on: Apr 28, 2009, 06:14:58 AM »
First....let us take a moment to remember the Big Tan Man.....

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=18941.0

We finally sold him on Saturday, he was just too big for Pennsylvania's britches.  We have all sorts of idiotic lift laws around here, we had to worry about driving it anywhere, and we don't have (and aren't getting in any form of a near future) a tow rig.  So we decided to sell him and start over with a newer one that we can make a capable trail rig out of, yet keep street legal.

We fell into one helluva good deal!  Saturday right after we sold the tan truck, we decided to ride up to Altoona, a town about 60 miles up the road where we knew there were lots of rinky dink car lots.  After looking at about 53,000 cars and finding NO Toyotas,  we were pretty sure we were S.O.L.  But THEN....ooohhhhhhhh, then.  haha.  The very last lot we looked at, clear in the back, totally unmarked (no papers on it, no price), was THIS beauty:

And of course the stupid dealer had just closed about 45 minutes before we got there.  :doh:

So anyway after a flurry of phone calls and voice mail exchanges both Sunday and Monday morning, we found out the dude was just about to take the truck to the auction!  The inspection on it ran out in January and he was just insistent that it was simply too old for him to bother looking into what it needs.  We asked him what he thought he'd get at auction and he said about $2,000.  So we told him, we'll give you the $2,000 if you let us get it now, and he said cool!  :hyper:

They made us trailer it home because of it being out of inspection.  ::)  But my Dad has a big car trailer and a GMC (yes I know what you're thinking but NO we weren't about to borrow his stuff every time we wanted to go wheeling in the tan truck...haha), so my Dad and I set off on the big Toyota retrieval mission.  Fortunately my Dad has always been a mechanic as a side thing, so he was able to give it a good enough check-up before we decided to go through with it, and he gave it a passing mark.  haha.  He determined that it needs new CVs pretty badly, so that's probably why it wasn't inspected.

But the frame and engine are both solid and it seems as if it was pretty well taken care of.  In fact, I snuck a peek at the previous owner's name as I was signing the title, and then I looked him up on the internet and called him!  hehehe.  He's pretty pumped that other Toyota enthusiasts bought his truck, said he only got rid of it because he now has two kids and one is still in a car seat and it's just too much of a pain in the butt to get them in and out of it.  It's already got a Downy off road 3" spring lift, something about 26mm torsion bars maybe?  And it has 33" tires and some sort of simulated beadlock wheels.

OK, enough talk, time for more pictures!   So, here it is, with specs listed first for those of you who got bored while reading my very long lead-in story:

1993 Xtra Cab 4cyl 2.4L
108,000 miles!  :D
3" Downey Off-Road lift
33" whatever tires  haha

Currently unsure of Brian's plans for this one, maybe re-gearing, I know he has 5.29s laying around.  Will have to update later with the build plans.  But again, not going too deep into this one, it's just about the way we want it already.  :thumbs:

:love:

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2010, 04:49:29 PM by MPA »
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

RK

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 757
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Me, crazy?!
    • View Profile
damn thats a clean rig!
Max
Black Hole Racing - 84 Jackalope/79 Devil Bunny/87 Golf - Service rig: 2012 Ram 3500

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Very Clean.   :thumbs:
I like to Drive!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:woohoo:  now you can come to Arkansas in August :woohoo:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
:woohoo: official biuld thread.  ya man that's a nice deal  now i got get a cracking on my truck so i can go play with U guys . 
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
You two scored big time!!

Congrats on the new toy guys :gap:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:thumbs: nice score!!  :yesnod: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
That is one lucky find, would have sucked if it went to auction.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

JanMarie13 [OP]

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
Thanks guys!!  We're SUPER pumped!  :hyper:

Big Pap Dog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 141
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Feb '06
  • A fool and his money are soon parted.
    • View Profile
Good job guys!!  Jan, I am ready to derail Brian's plans for a "mild" "budget" build on this.  You can't stop me.

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
I'll give you 2200 for it and come pick it up,hows that sound.Sounds real good to me  :gap: be there tomorrow to pick it up thanks for holding it for me.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

toyomr285

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
very clean and nice truck

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
wow...you uh....hmm.....thats awesome guys

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
thanks guys!!   :thumbs:   

well now is where i need some help.  i can do one of three things on my budget...1. i could replace my super sweet duals on my truck { you can see my sweet dual pipes in the 6th pic in the thread ::) } i would  get the lce headder flow master super 44 muffler and a hi-flo cat. 2.  i could get marlin rear bumper and sliders. 3. buy a detroit and or spool  and re gear  { i have 5.29's laying around here but would like to go to 4.56 or 4.88 }

what would you do? any thing you would change from experience?  :dunno:

the truck is gonna stay on 33's and STAY ifs. it will be the new dd/weekend warrior. mpa will be driveing it all the time
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
i would get a locker, it will be the single greatest improvement in off road drivability, exhaust is cool, but wont help off road. body protection in nice, but with out a locker you wont even be able to get to places to damage the body

just my opinion

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
well if the exhaust on the truck is gonna fall off/ rusted out i would say do that ....... NOw if its fine  I say gears/locker.
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

toyomr285

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
good find and very clean inside

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Gears and Lockers
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
i vote run the 529's you have with the 33's aussie in the rear and sliders,  front and rear bumpers can come later
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Nice new rig guys!!

I vote gears and locker. how stout is that rear bumper? it looks decent.  why not just keep it? And I do agree about the exhaust, that is pretty  :stopit:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
OH OH OH  i know,  buy my factory 4.88 front diff from the 95 runner i have :disturbed:

$150  :disturbed: :deal:

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
OH OH OH  i know,  buy my factory 4.88 front diff from the 95 runner i have :disturbed:

:slap:    what i don't get dibbs

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
:doh:

Joe  you wanna front diff :disturbed:

sorry :smooch:

:woohoo: BIDDING WAR :woohoo:

JanMarie13 [OP]

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
Joe how sweet of you to offer to go buy it and bring it to us!!!  :smooch:            :yupyup:

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
i dont know what u guys are talking about that exhaust is  :stopit: sweet. haha just kidding.  i would go with gears and a locker, sliders can come later. nice find by the way, im looking for the same thing myself.
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

JanMarie13 [OP]

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile

Attention Glen!   GLEEENNNNN!!!!!!  Brian says he wants that diff.   How much is shipping??   

*choosing to ignore other convo above from Unc*   :whistle:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
:eek: i could have sworn i put the price at $200 :headscratch:

JanMarie13 [OP]

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile

Joe Joe can have the dibbs  :smooch:

I think we're going with the header and exhaust.  We ordered some stuff.  Brian will have to update you this weekend.  LOL.  I can't remember.  I know one order was from Marlin and the other from LC Engineering.  Wait I think the Marlin order was a clutch.  LC was a header.

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
ok well here we go with good ole PA inspection.  :thumbdown:     the exhaust is shot.  lce header,flowmaster 44, and magna flow cat took care of that. so while its at the garage getting the clutch put in and exhaust on, i have my buddy make me a list of what i need to get inspected. cab mounts, idler arm, pitman arm, new cv's ect.. I come home and start looking up the parts and have every thing figured out, except the idler arm  

:help:  do i just buy a replacement and buy the truss or do i get the total chaos "caddy" idler arm? i have the downey 26mm torsion bars and they are CRANKED up and thats why idler arm and pitman arm are failing.

anybody have any suggestions?  
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2009, 07:45:10 PM by pataco13 »
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
ya   cranked up t-bars=hard ride   if U don't wanna put a lift on    go 4crawl and try the ball joint spaces.