Author Topic: wood turning lathe. can it be turned into a metal working....  (Read 3401 times)

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
I was offered an old wood turning lathe... I donīt have much info on it, other than it has a few different speeds. I would have to fix it with some chuck and a cross/side transfer or what to call it.....

the question is is it worth the time and money or should I just wait a few years and wait till an old metal working lathe falls into my hands...

ideas?
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I have an old Sears wood lathe. and have used others. also have run metal lathes. ( work and school)
my  :twocents: can't change wood to metal. no way.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Bazzi [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
I googled it and so on... it has been done. but I have doubts itīs worth it? am hoping I am wrong
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
what you planning on turning?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Bazzi [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
do you know the feeling when you are working on something and it would all be soo much simplier if you have something you normally have access to....
.... I donīt know.. making seats for bushings... and stuff like that. I need to make aliment tools for the housing I am gonna make.  :crossed: those would be made out of plastic, just so it fits in the 3rd member so I can run an axle through the housing to  have it straight.... I bet if I can fit an cross slide to that lathe I can make that... I am just wondering if thatīs all I will use that lathe. if so  itīs not worth the time.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
How much will it cost you to get teh wood lathe? if its cheap or free, might as well give it a shot, if it doesnt work,your back to where you are now. :twocents:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
No, it shouldn't be used.  If you look at a wood lathe and then a metal lathe, you will notice that the metal lathe is really heavy and beef!  And then you would have to fabricate the cutting head.  You would be better buying a lathe that was designed for metal.  Get all your buddies to pitch in on a community lathe?  That way you don't only use it a few times a year, and it will pay for it self in short time.  
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
I googled it and so on... it has been done. but I have doubts itīs worth it? am hoping I am wrong

Just because something has been done, doesn't mean in was done well.

You can turn almost anything into almost anything else...but, you may also be turning something into a turd (an unsafe turd at that).

Cheese is right the heft and precision of a metal lathe just isn't built into a wood lathe.

Don't do it...but, if you do, take a video so we can see the carnage.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Bazzi [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
Hey... whereīs the faith :qtip:

I looked at the lathe today, and basicly itīs a wood lath. hmm I donīt belive I have ever seen one of those before.   basicly I have a land and a motor. I would have to make ewerything else..... it is defenetly a challenge. I guess Iīll just have to wait some more :down:

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Note - though, you could use a metal lathe for stuff like wood in a pinch.  Also tons of other things in a pinch, I wager.  But the opposite?  Um... metal is a *tad* harder than wood last I checked.   Heh.

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/3647

Small discussion on the differences.  The big one is that a metal lathe typically has a fixed/mechanically held cutter.  I can't imagine trying to cut metal by hand in a wood lathe without really bad things(tm) happening.  One small mistake and the tool is going to fly - or pieces will chip off - at high speed. 

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
oh my goodness someone wants to do somthing out of the box ! shun shun shun!  Try it man if anything you will learn somthing along the way and that is always good.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Bazzi [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
the main difference between wood and metal lathe is that the wood one doesnīt have a chuck that holds it in place... the wood is only held in place with 1 spike thingy at each end. and you donīt have a cross cutting thingy either. you have some hand tools that you use to feel the wood down....

as I was saying there is a way to much difference to give it a much thought. but  if you think about it if you find yourself with the oppertunity of a free chuck. a free tool/crossfeeder thingy and a free wood turning lathe then you are a huge pruuuuude if you donīt think 2x about that. I have a free wood lathe on my hands, as I was saying after I took a look at the lathe, itīs basicly a motor and a land. itīs probably not worth the drive down there to pick it up 10 minutes....

so  have some coffe and have a good day

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
with 1 spike thingy at each end. and you donīt have a cross cutting thingy either.

:rofl2: I love a good technical explanation to start my day!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)