Author Topic: 20r Shortblock build..some simple questions i really need answered!!!  (Read 3426 times)

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
I picked up a 20r shortblock BRAND NEW from a guy in town for $450.. a steal in my opinion

This motor is going in an 83 yota shortbed with the original 5 speed and a very dead 22r right now

I also picked up a old 20r from my neighbor complete from carb to pan for $30, Another steal even though it had a thrown rod, it has all the parts i need to bolt to my shortblock. i had the egr valve bolted up to the back of my short block head like normal with the metal tube ran to the top of the intake... well i decided to run a weber 32/36  and with the kit it came with a PCV intake block off plate and hose hook up for the PCV like i'm sure 1000 of you are familiar with here on the site.. but i don't know what to do with my egr valve on the back of the head now because since i removed the metal tube off the top of the intake which connected also to the side of the egr.. there is just a big hole in the side of the egr.. what do i do with this big hole?

I also had a question about my oil pump, do shortblocks usually have the oil pump already in the motor, you just have to bolt up the oil pick up tube? and if so, will a 22r pick up tube bolt up and work fine, or should i take the time to pull the pick up tube out of my $30 20r?

i'm looking for a good electric fuel pump for the money also, 2-3 psi of course, maybe send me in the right direction with some of the experience you have had with them?

ha i'm sorry about the stupid questions, but i had 1 more. What are the torque setting for the harmonic balance Bolt and flywheel bolts? will a 22r flywheel also work?

I really appreciate and time taken to answer a few questions, i just wanna get this thing right. i've never really built a motor up myself, just done headgaskets and little things like that. Thanks again, i can also post some pictures if i completely confused you.
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
I picked up a 20r shortblock BRAND NEW from a guy in town for $450.. a steal in my opinion

This motor is going in an 83 yota shortbed with the original 5 speed and a very dead 22r right now

I also picked up a old 20r from my neighbor complete from carb to pan for $30, Another steal even though it had a thrown rod, it has all the parts i need to bolt to my shortblock. i had the egr valve bolted up to the back of my short block head like normal with the metal tube ran to the top of the intake... well i decided to run a weber 32/36  and with the kit it came with a PCV intake block off plate and hose hook up for the PCV like i'm sure 1000 of you are familiar with here on the site.. but i don't know what to do with my egr valve on the back of the head now because since i removed the metal tube off the top of the intake which connected also to the side of the egr.. there is just a big hole in the side of the egr.. what do i do with this big hole?
using the part of the egr that bolted there, looks kinda like a fat Y , make a blockoff plate out of a 2 inch by 2 inch by 1/4 piece of flat , use the old egr to mark the 3 holes for the bolts and bolt it up

I also had a question about my oil pump, do shortblocks usually have the oil pump already in the motor, you just have to bolt up the oil pick up tube?
NO the oil pump is on the front of the engine between the timing cover and the crank pully, which on the 20R is just a solid piece ,  no "harmonic balancer" in there,

and if so, will a 22r pick up tube bolt up and work fine, or should i take the time to pull the pick up tube out of my $30 20r?
  the pickup tubes are the same as the 22R as long as they are BOTH 4x4 engines, with the rear sump pan

i'm looking for a good electric fuel pump for the money also, 2-3 psi of course, maybe send me in the right direction with some of the experience you have had with them?
find a 79 shortbed and get the fuel tank from it, all 79 trucks had electric pumps in the tank from the factory

you MIGHT could buy one for a 79 and mount it in a custom hole in your tank but thats risky (DANGEROUS) if you have gas and a drill = spark= BOOM

ha i'm sorry about the stupid questions, but i had 1 more. What are the torque setting for the harmonic balance Bolt and flywheel bolts?
its JUST a pulley on 20R and early 22R's
i cant remember but its TIGHT like 75 lbs i cant remember

will a 22r flywheel also work?
YES they are identical

I really appreciate and time taken to answer a few questions, i just wanna get this thing right. i've never really built a motor up myself, just done headgaskets and little things like that. Thanks again, i can also post some pictures if i completely confused you.
:thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
Once again coyote, your a life saver  :bowdown:

so in other words, the oil pump is already bolted up. I do not have to pull one off an old motor and bolt it onto my shortblock?

I planned on just running the fuel pump along the frame rail of the truck or even on the fender under the hood if i bought an aftermarket one, 79 is by far my dream year for the round fenders... but still to this day all i have came acrossed is 83's so finding a gas tank in town probably won't be easy! i will definetly keep it in mind though, it's a gret bit of info to know!

This is a little backwards, but my shortblock is for a 76 2wd, the $30 20r i have is out of a 4x4, i'll probably just yank the pickup tube out of the parts 20r since i'm pulling the oil pan to put on my shortblock... as long as that will work!

sounds like i got er' all under control now! just had to ask the yota experts, thanks again for all the help.
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
heres a pic of the oil pump,

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
ok that's what i figured. thanks alot. and by the way the intake worked out great  :beerchug:

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
i would just stick with a mechanical fuel pump if i was you. the pump that runs off the cam on the side of the head. ive had alot of problems with the aftermarket electic fuel pumps  :twocents:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
i would just stick with a mechanical fuel pump if i was you. the pump that runs off the cam on the side of the head. ive had alot of problems with the aftermarket electic fuel pumps  :twocents:
thats why i suggested the 79 tank

ok that's what i figured. thanks alot. and by the way the intake worked out great  :beerchug:

:thumbs:

... but still to this day all i have came acrossed is 83's so finding a gas tank in town probably won't be easy!

you'd be surprised what you can find up there,  contact OddMar, he's in Illinois  he might have a 79 tank

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
Doesn't the pulse of the mech. fuel pump mess with the carb?

i would use it since i have a ton of them if it will work okay, if it will run like total crap or run to rich then i'll definetly consider the 79 tank.

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
This is a little backwards, but my shortblock is for a 76 2wd, the $30 20r i have is out of a 4x4, i'll probably just yank the pickup tube out of the parts 20r since i'm pulling the oil pan to put on my shortblock... as long as that will work!

Yes, use the pickup tube designed for the oil pan you are using.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
can do. just need a damn day off so i can finish these little things and bolt the motor into the truck!

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile

I don't know a whole lot about the older engines, But I would like to mention that you should clean out that oil pickup VERY well. Because its out of a truck with a rod knok, who knows what nasties may be caught in there.

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
thanks for the heads up. Yeah i kind of thought about that, carburetor cleaner should clean it out pretty well right?

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
some carb cleaner and blow it out with air afterwards  :thumbs:

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
yup that should be good. maybe run water or somthing through it to simulate the oil flow and to loosen up anything thats stuck to the inside of the tube. anything will still have to flow through the filter before it gets too far, but why risk it right. 
 I can remember a shop having to send back a cylinder head when i was doing my co-op at an engine machine shop because they forgot to clean out the intake manifold after somthing had got in and screwed it all up. The head was cleaned out and refurbished but the didn't do anything to the intake and there was still some crap in it, so the same thing happened again lol.