Author Topic: 20r Shortblock Project, pics to come  (Read 4273 times)

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
20r Shortblock Project, pics to come
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:49:18 PM »
I picked up a 20r shortblock BRAND NEW from a guy in town for $450.. a steal in my opinion

This motor is going in an 83 yota shortbed with the original 5 speed and a very dead 22r right now

I also picked up a old 20r from my neighbor complete from carb to pan for $30, Another steal even though it had a thrown rod, it has all the parts i need to bolt to my shortblock. i had the egr valve bolted up to the back of my short block head like normal with the metal tube ran to the top of the intake... well i decided to run a weber 32/36  and with the kit it came with a PCV intake block off plate and hose hook up for the PCV like i'm sure 1000 of you are familiar with here on the site.. but i don't know what to do with my egr valve on the back of the head now because since i removed the metal tube off the top of the intake which connected also to the side of the egr.. there is just a big hole in the side of the egr.. what do i do with this big hole?

I also had a question about my oil pump, do shortblocks usually have the oil pump already in the motor, you just have to bolt up the oil pick up tube? and if so, will a 22r pick up tube bolt up and work fine, or should i take the time to pull the pick up tube out of my $30 20r?

i'm looking for a good electric fuel pump for the money also, 2-3 psi of course, maybe send me in the right direction with some of the experience you have had with them?

ha i'm sorry about the stupid questions, but i had 1 more. What are the torque setting for the harmonic balance Bolt and flywheel bolts? will a 22r flywheel also work?

I really appreciate and time taken to answer a few questions, i just wanna get this thing right. i've never really built a motor up myself, just done headgaskets and little things like that. Thanks again, i can also post some pictures if i completely confused you.
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
Re: 20r Shortblock Project, pics to come
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:11:57 PM »
Any help at all?
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2009, 01:05:36 PM »
So this thread has got almost 30 views... but absolutely no help or advice  :headshake: i guess i'll try postin it in a different category

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
Just curious, but why a 20r block instead of a 22r block? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:18:42 PM »
Personally i think the 20r is a more trustworthy motor... i have always had terrible luck with 22r's... headgaskets are evil in my eyes!!!!

But the real reason i bought the 20r is because i bought it from  guy in the classifieds, he had it in his heated shop in the crate with the plastic still unremoved from the motor... in other words, hands hadn't touched the motor since the day it left the toyota dealership in cheyenne wyoming.

He sold me the motor for about $500 with a few original toyota repair manuels and such.... it was an amazing deal knowing it came FROM a toyota dealership

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »
Well, to each his own!  They are essentially the same block, just a slightly different bore, and the same minor difference in the head gasket.  I'm guessing you used felcrap head gaskets in yours?  Only way to go is a 20r head on a 22r block, with a toyota head gasket ofcourse!

Good luck on your build, there's nothing wrong with a 20r, I just prefer to go with the extra displacement. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:27:18 AM »
yeah i don't blame ya on displacement. A question i've always had though, th 20r head on 22r block swap sounds awesome, but i have never known what you use for a head gasket. a 20r HG or a 22r HG? i don't remember them being the same... or are they?

Yes i have used fel pro... nice to know from experience that THEY SUCK!

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:36:42 AM »
To do the 20/22r hybrid it has to be a certain year 22r block. I was going to do the same until my block wasn't worth keeping or repairing anymore.
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers