Author Topic: project 4skinner  (Read 81557 times)

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
Re: project 4skinner
« Reply #330 on: Aug 14, 2010, 08:10:53 PM »
Thanks guys, the 37's "fit." I have a better picture of the tire carrier painted with the liscense plate mounted, but im not sure how to post them directly from my phone.

Black tops are the only way to go, white is only nice if its 110 and sunny... which it is, but f it....

Did 140 mile one way drive in the runner today, a one word description would be UNDERPOWERD. The completely killed and power this thing never had... it rides and drives great, but hills are a wretched sleeper. 3rz swap will be taking place immediately as my bellhousing showed up friday! I am now thinking about doing the balance shaft delete to gain some power. And experience with it will be greatly appreciated as there aren't many follow ups on the info i have found. I want to know if there is a noticeable difference in vibration at idle as my truck idles alot to run the ac.
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: Aug 15, 2010, 10:20:02 PM »
New tire carrier picture. Went night wheelin last night, dented my gas tank even more and almost flopped. The truck did great though! The hardest trail i've ever run in this rig and it didn't miss a beat.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 02:00:05 AM by peacesells »

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #332 on: Aug 16, 2010, 04:51:25 PM »
looks good with the paint dude.  I think I would have cried if you flopped your runner!  that would have been very dissapointing.  you still want to sell that 3rd?
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: Aug 17, 2010, 01:49:47 AM »
I had the same thing happen to me that your runner did in one of your videos, front tire in a hole and the back went sky high! sent ya a pm back

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Aug 17, 2010, 02:03:28 AM »
Had some time to kill today so I took a drive out to lake mary. I had to renew my registration in flagstaff today, NO EMISSIONS!!! I took the $30 I would have spent on emissions and got a copper historic vehicle plate on the runner. Should definately piss off some japenese hatin muscle car guys  :biggthumpup:

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 02:09:52 AM by peacesells »

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #335 on: Aug 17, 2010, 11:54:47 AM »
you need like an inch of lift in the back with the spare back there.. looks good man.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Aug 17, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »
Thanks man, im gonna lower the front to match it. Not a fan of the prerunner look on a crawler

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #337 on: Aug 17, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »

runner is lookin so clean and sick dude!  I love it..... I want a copper license plate, those are cool.
I had the same thing happen to me that your runner did in one of your videos, front tire in a hole and the back went sky high! sent ya a pm back
ha ha  yeah that is kinda sketchy when all the weight of the rig just transfers real fast like that,  thats the main downfall to leaf springs for sure.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #338 on: Aug 17, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »
nice nice, low n slow is the key.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #339 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »
have fun in flagstaff, and nice rig. i know some good spots of wheeling there.
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Aug 19, 2010, 12:20:01 AM »
Thanks man, its pretty much impossible to not have fun in flagstaff! I know a few cool trails that are fair game and hardly known, but coconino county is "revising" their travel plan and they will very likely go away... 

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #341 on: Aug 19, 2010, 11:07:19 AM »
no no that sucks. my cousin showed me stuff around Winona area where my grandma leaves. its pretty cool.
Ya it is impossible lol.
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: Aug 21, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »
Heres the next project

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #343 on: Aug 21, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
is that the rig you are going base your buggy around?
97 4runner Limited

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Aug 21, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
Not neccisarily haha. I have a ton of extra parts that I might use to build this truck as all toyota. I have a dual ultimate tcase setup, g52 trans, when I do my 3rz swap I will have a good running 22re, when I link my runner I will have some badass axles... so... a few weekends, a set of tires and wheels and I will have another crawler, with a nice cage this time. I wont have the money I need to build an all tube v8 buggy for a few years since I decided to go back to school. I have less than $0 into the cab, frame, exo, tcase setup, motor, trans, and misc parts I need to build this as I bought it as a parts truck and made a lot of money on parts. 87pickup on here donated the exo, I got the tcases for $250, and the rest of the parts were take-offs from other projects or donated by friends. I have some hi pinions layin around and if the axles find their way into this truck from my runner, this will be the 3rd truck ive run them in. It pays off runnin a low key toyota junkyard, im tellin ya...  :king:

By the way, pumkin, you have an email  :_oops:
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 06:43:35 PM by peacesells »

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: Aug 21, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »
Runner looking great as usual. Whats the deal with the Copper Historic plate? Is that an AZ thing?
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #346 on: Aug 21, 2010, 06:15:51 PM »
Wow is all I have to say to that.
Looks like a nice start good. I would love a regular cab truggy but I need my leg room.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #347 on: Aug 21, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
damn Mike!  you are pretty much running a low key toyota junk yard.... except its not junk!  You have all kinds of good stuff.  So now i'm wondering what your reasoning is behind having a very clean runner that will be linked on 80 axles and be able to really go anywhere, and building another reg cab truck that will basically go anywhere too??  Just curious what you are gonna do with all these crawlers! ha ha
97 4runner Limited

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #348 on: Aug 21, 2010, 11:34:30 PM »
damn Mike!  you are pretty much running a low key toyota junk yard.... except its not junk!  You have all kinds of good stuff.  So now i'm wondering what your reasoning is behind having a very clean runner that will be linked on 80 axles and be able to really go anywhere, and building another reg cab truck that will basically go anywhere too??  Just curious what you are gonna do with all these crawlers! ha ha

im guessing he wants the 4runner, 3rz, FJ80 axles, etc as a combo for the road to have good stability and be able to do highway speeds and still be able to rock it in the trails. the ultimate expedition rig really.

and have the truck to horse around in... yeah? Am I close?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: Aug 22, 2010, 09:12:50 AM »
im guessing he wants the 4runner, 3rz, FJ80 axles, etc as a combo for the road to have good stability and be able to do highway speeds and still be able to rock it in the trails. the ultimate expedition rig really.

and have the truck to horse around in... yeah? Am I close?

Yessir, I like smashing sheet metal and not being afraid to flop, but I also like having a clean straight truck with good road manners and a nice quiet comfortable interior. Since they dont go together very well, 2 rigs make more sense than 1!

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #350 on: Aug 22, 2010, 09:32:52 AM »
Isuppose that makes sense.  so are you gonna leave the pickup leaf sprung, or you going to link that one too?   the runner is going to be so sick, I cant wait to see the finished product.  So what do you do about the rear third being offset to one side on the 80 axles?  I'm not sure if you can just run a rear driveline at an offset angle like that.
97 4runner Limited

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: Aug 22, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »
Runner looking great as usual. Whats the deal with the Copper Historic plate? Is that an AZ thing?

Yep, I always wanted a copper plate, havent got one on my 63 mercury yet and the runner qualified so i figured what the hell. Its a much nicer lookin plate and it trips people out  :biggthumpup:

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: Aug 22, 2010, 10:38:51 AM »
Isuppose that makes sense.  so are you gonna leave the pickup leaf sprung, or you going to link that one too?   the runner is going to be so sick, I cant wait to see the finished product.  So what do you do about the rear third being offset to one side on the 80 axles?  I'm not sure if you can just run a rear driveline at an offset angle like that.

I have some 4in allpro springs for the front, I might link it with airshocks in the back if I can find a good deal on some heims. If not, I have some more chevy leafs and plenty of stuff to make a trac bar.

On the rear 80 axle, my buddy is building me an aluminum tank that will fit between the frame rails behind the rear axle so i wont have to worry about the tank getting in the way(Ive already destroyed the stock tank, holds 11 gallons). The offset is not that far off, 3 1/2 inches I believe, and since I dont run much lift it will be good. It does not matter if the driveshaft runs at an angle, it sees all angle the same wheather it is offset or straight with a bunch of lift. The stock tank is pretty much the only thing that gets in the way as far as I know. if anyone else hears anything different, let me know!

My new tank will also be between 25 and 30 gallons and connect to the stock filler location  :beerchug:

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #353 on: Aug 22, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »
sounds like it should work out pretty slick man!  25-30 gallons is going to be a massive tank :yikes:
97 4runner Limited

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: Aug 22, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »
Yep, I always wanted a copper plate, havent got one on my 63 mercury yet and the runner qualified so i figured what the hell. Its a much nicer lookin plate and it trips people out  :biggthumpup:

Thats cool. Is it a 25 year cut off? I think CA has the same thing but IIRC in CA, once its registered as a historic vehicle it can only be driven in parades or something. Could be wrong though. I'm rocking the 80s blue California plates which are pretty cool cuz you don't see them that often anymore.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

wheelinnewbie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: Aug 22, 2010, 12:02:39 PM »
From what i understand, if you have the historic plate in California, you can drive the vehicle on the road, but you can only drive a certain amount of miles per year.  That's i've heard anyway.  Don't quote me on that.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: Aug 22, 2010, 01:38:13 PM »
From what i understand, if you have the historic plate in California, you can drive the vehicle on the road, but you can only drive a certain amount of miles per year.  That's i've heard anyway.  Don't quote me on that.

Maybe that was it, limited miles. I remember there were conditions to it in California.

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: Aug 22, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »
In az its the same as a vanity plate

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -35
  • Male Posts: 970
  • Member since Oct '09
  • I KNOW A SWEENEY BRO!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: Aug 23, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
MAn the runner is looking dope brah!! Copper plate is trick and gets da chicks i bet, ha ha. rear tire carrier looks very functional and good!!! Sounds like you have way to much time on your hands to work and go to school and build 2 krawlers to......ha ha!1 Should be some sick rides thats for sure!! Nice bro..
Sometimes life is a rock an we need a Yota to get over it an Chevy is like a rock so I'm over it!!!

peacesells [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »
 :turtle:Had a great 3 day weekend! Went wheelin today, got through the spot that dented my passenger side last time without any damage! I did dent my rear driveshaft up pretty good though... the night before me and my buddy Neil kicked the :pokinit: out of some trash talkin frat boys. Was a good trip!! Neil, gonna miss ya man!

The last picture should be a video if you click on it

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/peacesells63/?action=view&current=IMG_0442.mp4
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2010, 01:35:12 AM by peacesells »