Author Topic: [Project Danger]  (Read 24756 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
[Project Danger]
« on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:24:07 PM »
alright...so im outta the toy game for awhile and im gonna be driving/wheeling an 89 ford ranger for awhile. 2.9 v6, 5 spd, 4x4, and...stock. so the first thing ill do is get some decent tires under it. probably some 31"(ish) BFG muds,

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A TEMPORARY VEHICLE!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2008, 10:39:10 PM by NorCalToy »
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: [Project Danger]
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »
use a dana 35 ttb from a 91-94 explorer and the rear 8.8" from a 95+ explorer -- get them with stock 3.73s, and they will be fine for 31s or 33s
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »
since you have a license now, you are legally allowed to own your own vehicle.... you should save your money, and get something.... something your parents cant say i want that out of my houe, etc..... and keep it away from your brother

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:19:02 PM »
since you have a license now, you are legally allowed to own your own vehicle.... you should save your money, and get something.... something your parents cant say i want that out of my houe, etc..... and keep it away from your brother
if i was gonna do that i still ive with them so they can say whatever...and they wont tellme to get that crap outta here...plus theyre basically giving the danger to me.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »
if i was gonna do that i still ive with them so they can say whatever...and they wont tellme to get that crap outta here...plus theyre basically giving the danger to me.

didnt they basically give you the ranger too? lots of stuff changes when its not your vehicle..... trust me how well i know this... my parents gave me the ranger... i crashed it, they got a huge insurance payment from my insurnace company that i paid to have full ocverage on it with, and they kept the vehicle and took it back......

i do still live with my parents, so that is an issue...... you will still live with them, but it would be your truck, that they would have no legal legs to stand on getting rid of the eyesore, your approval or not.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »

didnt they basically give you the ranger too? lots of stuff changes when its not your vehicle..... trust me how well i know this... my parents gave me the ranger... i crashed it, they got a huge insurance payment from my insurnace company that i paid to have full ocverage on it with, and they kept the vehicle and took it back......

i do still live with my parents, so that is an issue...... you will still live with them, but it would be your truck, that they would have no legal legs to stand on getting rid of the eyesore, your approval or not.....
if you mean teh 4runner then i still could fix it, but none of my family supports it, so i see no future in fixing it.
is this gonna be a build thread or a BS thread? :bull:pokinit::
Fixed it for ya!

Dude, you talk and talk and talk and talk, than talk more, and more and more.  I WANNA SEE PROGRESS!!!!!! not 10 pages of: "Ok, I am gunna do this" and it never happens.
alrightalright! ill delete some stuff and whatnot. i just get way too many ideas so i talk aobut all of em and then get confused :willynilly:

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2008, 12:46:18 PM »

basically jimbo...i am 100% sure my parents wont bone me like that. they dont care too much as long as its runngin and driving. thay get aggitated when something sits for so long and potentially looks bad. it willbe a joint decision if they want to get rid of the ranger.

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
Rangers are cool, check out the rough rangers. http://www.rrorc.com/.   Lets just make this a real build, not a "what I think I am gunna do" thread.
Edit:
THis is my buddys rangers. 

92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2008, 10:07:27 AM »
so now ive got a starting issue...

went out yesterday to find a dead battery with no accessories i could find left on... so i pulled and charged the battery and got it started, went for a short drive and then. no bueno on the starting again...so i had to pop start it get it home then parked it and today i need to figure out what is goin on with it. so im thinking possibley alternator? any ideas? :dunno:

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »
Those have quite a few fusible links.  Check those out. 

My bro-in-law had a 88, with the STX package, and a power chip.  Thing was fast, but had a issue with the distributer timing gear.  Made out of plastic!   :_oops:  He kept spares in the glove box, and could change them out in minutes! 

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »
I don't think its your alternator. The truck needs power to run, and if the battery is dead, and the alternator is bad, it will not run.

My guess is that the battery needs replaced, or there is problems with the connection to the battery.  I have seen cables from batteries to starts so rotted that the amperage drawn to start the car was enough to melt down the wire.

pz

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2008, 04:31:23 PM »
I don't think its your alternator. The truck needs power to run, and if the battery is dead, and the alternator is bad, it will not run.

My guess is that the battery needs replaced, or there is problems with the connection to the battery.  I have seen cables from batteries to starts so rotted that the amperage drawn to start the car was enough to melt down the wire.

pz
i got it to start up this morning, once. then since then no go. charged the battery. its full, and still no go.so your suggesting check the wire from the battery to the starter?
Those have quite a few fusible links.  Check those out. 

My bro-in-law had a 88, with the STX package, and a power chip.  Thing was fast, but had a issue with the distributer timing gear.  Made out of plastic!   :_oops:  He kept spares in the glove box, and could change them out in minutes! 

chipped up eh?

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2008, 06:57:46 PM »
The tranny won't hold up!  We had the tranny give out while doing 95 mph down I5.   :yikes:  The tranny was designed for 4 cyl hp numbers, not a hopped up v6!  And the chip just pushed the tranny to its limits.  That and the rangers were geared wrong probably didn't help.  But that is Ford for you.   :shake_head:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2008, 07:19:32 PM »
The tranny won't hold up!  We had the tranny give out while doing 95 mph down I5.   :yikes:  The tranny was designed for 4 cyl hp numbers, not a hopped up v6!  And the chip just pushed the tranny to its limits.  That and the rangers were geared wrong probably didn't help.  But that is Ford for you.   :shake_head:
hmmm...so the v6 and 4cyl trucks had he same trannies? what bout splders? anybody kinow?

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »
well whatevers wrong with the truck, its related to the starter. runs and drives fine fomr a pop start, so...guess im gonna pull the starter tomorrow and check it and then probably have to order a new one.

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
well whatevers wrong with the truck, its related to the starter. runs and drives fine fomr a pop start, so...guess im gonna pull the starter tomorrow and check it and then probably have to order a new one.

At this point, I would agree.  I tend to lay blame to the starter last, since they usually suck most to replace, and are more expensive.  However now that you are runnin American, that could be a different story.

and what are splders?  Do you mean spiders? as in spider gears?
PZ

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
At this point, I would agree.  I tend to lay blame to the starter last, since they usually suck most to replace, and are more expensive.  However now that you are runnin American, that could be a different story.

and what are splders?  Do you mean spiders? as in spider gears?
PZ

its not gonna be real hard to change i hope.. my brother may do it for me while im in school anyways i hope... :crossed:

sorry, splders is explorers.

waht did you mean about domestic vs toyota starters?

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 25, 2008, 11:29:41 AM »
its not gonna be real hard to change i hope.. my brother may do it for me while im in school anyways i hope... :crossed:

sorry, splders is explorers.

waht did you mean about domestic vs toyota starters?

As a starter they do the same thing. The only real difference is how hard they are to get to.  From what I have found is: american :pokinit: breaks more, and is easy to replace. Import :pokinit: brakes less, but is harder to replace.

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 983
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 25, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
sweet, i have seen some kew rangers
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
got her all fixed up. got a new starter and it took like 10 minutes to throw itin and now its cherry  :circle:

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Aug 25, 2008, 10:24:05 PM »
i did make up my miond. for now. i will have this thing until at least spring and from there i will either build it up (think like i was gonna build a toy), or i will sell it and buy a toy, or whatever. after seriously thinkin, i dont need anything all that hardcore.

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 983
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2008, 10:30:17 PM »
you will want it bad to the bone, girls like that. im rockin dans 69 firebird tomorrow, see what the chickiboos think of that. :)
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »
so does anybody know anything about SAS'n a Danger?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2008, 11:04:09 PM »
so does anybody know anything about SAS'n a Danger?

its the same as SAS ing any other truck

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 26, 2008, 07:16:48 AM »
Just beat on it stock, build a toy not a ranger

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 26, 2008, 11:42:58 AM »
http://www.rrorc.com/

Get the axle and brackets from a early bronco.  Sounds like it all works good with a aftermarket skid for the radius arms.  Hey that way you could end up with a HP44...

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Aug 26, 2008, 03:55:36 PM »
Just beat on it stock, build a toy not a ranger
i will, but i figure its not so different from a toy, sizewise and such, so a similar project would be cool, and a little different than a yota. :dunno:
http://www.rrorc.com/

Get the axle and brackets from a early bronco.  Sounds like it all works good with a aftermarket skid for the radius arms.  Hey that way you could end up with a HP44...

cool, thanks phazer, should help answer a lot fo my qs.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 26, 2008, 06:09:43 PM »
I am just saying, from what I have seen, Toys are A LOT more mod friendly than rangers

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #28 on: Aug 26, 2008, 08:36:20 PM »
I am just saying, from what I have seen, Toys are A LOT more mod friendly than rangers
give soem more detail please.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #29 on: Aug 26, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »
i went wheelin today....it was EFFIN awesome! ive never actually wheeled and drove myself. easily kept up with and in some cases outwheeled my buddy whos got a 95 on 31s....