Author Topic: [Project Danger]  (Read 24755 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: [Project Danger]
« Reply #30 on: Aug 27, 2008, 12:25:41 AM »
give soem more detail please.

My friends ranger broke all the time after we modded it. Toys don't break after you mod them nearly as much. He went through 2 rear axles with just 33s, plus the TTB was not real happy with the added tire size either. Toy axles can handle 33s no problem. Just one example. I must say that the 2.9 v6 kicks an old 22re's butt easily.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 27, 2008, 12:38:16 AM »
it's very subjective, ive had 2 explorers and a 2wd ranger... all 3 were great trucks, and ithey never failed on me, i failed them........

sure your response isnt going to be favorable on the toyota website, but the ranger/explorers were very stout from the factory.... the explorers moreso than the rangers though..... that ford 8.8 rear with the 31 spline axle shafts, factory limited slip and disk brakes from 95+ were tough as hell..... the explorer ranger, is a very solid platform, sorry yuor buddy had issues.... most do not.... they are very stout
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2008, 12:48:57 AM by jimbo74 »
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 27, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »
A ranger will be harder to build IMO.  The SA may be a touch easier, but the axle will probably cost more. The stock rear axle is ok at best, good for 35's if your easy on it. I have seen a few 88's break, and heard about more.  I have never seen (and that doesn't mean its not out there) a site like marlin, or one of the many other toyota sites.  Highs steer is more $$$ and harder to do on a dana axle. Than there is always the case of the duals.  There is a dual set up for rangers, but I think its only one t-case, and if yours doesn't have it than pretty much and atlas or nuttin!

Also, at the end of the day, you still have a ford...

So I am not sure, and I have not followed your posting much, if you still have the red truck. But if you do, I would yank the engine out of the runner, and put it in the red truck.  Build the red truck.  3RD gen xtra cabs are hot!  My  :twocents:
PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #33 on: Aug 27, 2008, 11:50:46 AM »
so...i hit a deer today.... :outtahere:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 27, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »

I think that is a record...  did that one even last a week?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 27, 2008, 12:07:38 PM »
rangers are no harder to build than anything else......

sure every vehicle has its little niche and some have their issues, but the rangers are pretty stout.....

there are severa lboards like this for the ranger/explorers, the ranger station, ranger power sports, rough rangers off road club, explorerforum , et al

i dont think there are dual cases, but you can get a lower low with an atlas case

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 27, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »

I think that is a record...  did that one even last a week?

i don't think he has even had his license a week yet

sure every vehicle has its little niche and some have their issues, but the rangers are pretty stout.....

there are severa lboards like this for the ranger/explorers, the ranger station, ranger power sports, rough rangers off road club, explorerforum , et al

i dont think there are dual cases, but you can get a lower low with an atlas case

maybe you and your brother should stick to public transportation for your own safety and to save yourself money..... i suggest this not to be a richard, but it's the same boat i am in right now, i only get to see my wife and daughter on the weekends, and my wife will not let me drive down to see her, if i dont take the amtrak train/bus combo, then i don't go....... she wants me to live, not die driving because i'm a shitty driver -- she knows i have to drive, but she wants to minimize my road time

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 27, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »

Rangers can be built VERY stout.  My same friend that I brought up in an above post has a sick ranger, that breaks way less than my truck!

And yes, there is a dual case set up for them, but its not a kit, its a build it yourself IIRC. I have wheeled with a guy that had one, it was sick. He couldn't hold his explore back with the breaks when it was in drive (auto).

And yes, public transportation sounds like a VERY good idea!

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #38 on: Aug 27, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »
no damge to the truck at all. i have had my license for one week. it was unlucky that i hit a deer, but not bad driving. i would much rather hit a deer than swerve to miss one. better a deer than an oncoming vehicle or off a cliff into a krail or whatever.

FYI dunsmuir has no PT
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sep 02, 2008, 11:54:11 AM »
is htis thing built yet? haha, my trucks been on the road for like 3 months, and its already lifted and stuff! it's even got a passenger seat and seatbelt!!!!!!

~ John F. Kennedy ~

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #40 on: Sep 02, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »
you removed my posts.... no wonder why it doesnt come up on my replied threads.

whats your plans today?
as they change 50 times per day.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sep 02, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
sell the ford, swap the 4runner engine into the pick up, part out 4runner (saving good parts), use money from ford & 4runner part out to invest in cool stuff for the red truck. then we can stop telling you to do it  :gap:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 02, 2008, 01:35:06 PM »
is htis thing built yet? haha, my trucks been on the road for like 3 months, and its already lifted and stuff! it's even got a passenger seat and seatbelt!!!!!!

This from a guy who just got a pass. seat in his truck after owning it since Feb?   :hahaha:

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #43 on: Sep 02, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »
sell the ford, swap the 4runner engine into the pick up, part out 4runner (saving good parts), use money from ford & 4runner part out to invest in cool stuff for the red truck. then we can stop telling you to do it  :gap:

AMEN!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sep 02, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »

Thats what I said!!  Build the red truck, 3rd gen xtras are hot!!!!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:24:16 PM »

That is what we have all been saying

See Blake, who wants a "bad ass" ranger when you could have something like that in the fire engine red flavor
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #46 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:45:35 PM »
that boy doesnt listen or stand his ground..

god dude..... grow a set :rofl:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »
This from a guy who just got a pass. seat in his truck after owning it since Feb?   :hahaha:

feb?! hell i've owned that truck around 2 years now....... haha, at least my truck progresses forward... and quite quickly.... its been only running since mid may

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #48 on: Sep 02, 2008, 10:35:17 PM »

desktop background.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #49 on: Sep 02, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »
so its come down to red truck v. Danger.

after this weekend i was really surprised how well theh ranger wheeled for stock. it kept up with and in some cases outwheeled, on the local terrain, a frineds stock 86 toyota. so i know ts fairly capable. but. teh red truck has a lift, will fit 35s, xcab, but fe small problems like no horn, etc. so i think im gonna hear mostly keep red truck, but is it worth the engine swap i *might* be able to pull of myself?

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sep 02, 2008, 10:42:43 PM »
Don't ask us what to do, ask yourself what to do. We can not make decisions for you.

Both trucks are fine trucks for wheeling. The toyota IMO is a better platform for upgrading. The ranger, again IMO, is best kept stock or near stock. In the end I would say its going to come down to what your plans are for a rig. If keeping it mildish, the ranger may get the nod. If going for totally built rig, I would probably go with the toyota.

In the end the decision is all up to you.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #51 on: Sep 02, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
Don't ask us what to do, ask yourself what to do. We can not make decisions for you.

Both trucks are fine trucks for wheeling. The toyota IMO is a better platform for upgrading. The ranger, again IMO, is best kept stock or near stock. In the end I would say its going to come down to what your plans are for a rig. If keeping it mildish, the ranger may get the nod. If going for totally built rig, I would probably go with the toyota.

In the end the decision is all up to you.
thats my problem. id really like to keep the toy, but im not 100% sure i can finish the engine swap all myself. but if i do it ill end up like you and cleanin everything up real good and whatnot. i dont like working a on a dirty engine. im thinking toy. keep it 35s and IFS for awhile, then as funds and parts are available do a mild SAS gears and such. or maybe just to about how far BD has taken his truck. nothing aournd here is that hardcore unless you want crazy body damage.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sep 03, 2008, 01:18:04 AM »

feb?! hell i've owned that truck around 2 years now....... haha, at least my truck progresses forward... and quite quickly.... its been only running since mid may

:dunno: just basing it off this:
This is my new truck. It is a 22r, g52, 1984, sr5, xcab, 4x4, solid axle, 4.10 gears, RN66, CA emissions, 36.74 crawl ratio

ya, and he swapped an engine into his 4runner and got it going pretty quickly, but then his brother wrecked it.  :dunno: He's 16, give the kid a break.

NCT,
will your brother help you do this motor swap?  I'd think he at least owes you that, for rolling your last rig.  I'd clean up the engine, but if its good, I wouldn't bother taking it apart.  It sounds like you've got a good plan if you keep the toyota, just build it up over time as skills and money allow.  I agree with what KDX said :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #53 on: Sep 03, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
:dunno: just basing it off this:
ya, and he swapped an engine into his 4runner and got it going pretty quickly, but then his brother wrecked it.  :dunno: He's 16, give the kid a break.

NCT,
will your brother help you do this motor swap?  I'd think he at least owes you that, for rolling your last rig.  I'd clean up the engine, but if its good, I wouldn't bother taking it apart.  It sounds like you've got a good plan if you keep the toyota, just build it up over time as skills and money allow.  I agree with what KDX said :thumbs:
he basically told me he would help me out if i got stuck, but it will be mostly me. ill do everything i can myself and what i cant do (for whatever reason) he said he would come in and help me out.

i think im gonna take his tires fro rolling the runner...since they fit on the truck.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #54 on: Sep 03, 2008, 09:19:15 AM »
he basically told me he would help me out if i got stuck, but it will be mostly me. ill do everything i can myself and what i cant do (for whatever reason) he said he would come in and help me out.

i think im gonna take his tires fro rolling the runner...since they fit on the truck.

your bro needs to wear three shoes... two on his feet and one UP THE ASS!

anyways, :thumbs: to Todd and BD.
i agree with them.
in the long run, i know you blake, and keeping it mild just aint guna cut it.

im partial to Toyota's so you know where i stand.. (i hate those TTB Ranger :puke: )
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #55 on: Sep 03, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
your bro needs to wear three shoes... two on his feet and one UP THE ASS!

anyways, :thumbs: to Todd and BD.
i agree with them.
in the long run, i know you blake, and keeping it mild just aint guna cut it.

im partial to Toyota's so you know where i stand.. (i hate those TTB Ranger :puke: )
now ho is mild not gonna cut it for me? :bat:

yea, i probly wont... :outtahere: i still wanna iknow your reasons though.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #56 on: Sep 03, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »
my reasons are, you cant upgrade crap on them without breaking things.

everyone up here with that platform under there ranger or explorer.... has had nothing but problems

those TTB's are junk in my opinion
most guys up here swap to D44s or D60s
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sep 03, 2008, 11:26:35 AM »
desktop background.

Thats my desktop at work.

Anyway, 35's and IFS, bad idea. You better carry alot of extra cv's with you.  I would go for 33's, IMO thats the largest tire you should run on CV's.  I know lots of people do it, but I have had to change out quite enough on rigs rolling on 33's.

As for the engine swap being easy or not. Its easy if you know what you are doing. I could do it in a weekend you may need a few weeks.  I would start by pulling the motor out of the runner.  Things that my effect the ease of the swap would be auto-manual (if they are not the same) and year of manufacture.  If you let me know what year/tranny is in each truck, I can tell you what you need to do to make them work with each other.
PZ

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sep 03, 2008, 11:28:47 AM »
now ho is mild not gonna cut it for me? :bat:

Well i started with a jeep on 31's thinking that was plenty... Now I have my truck on 35's and I want 37's! than I will probably want 60's and 40's

Its a never ending cycle.
PZ

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 983
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sep 03, 2008, 11:41:54 AM »
so its come down to red truck v. Danger.

after this weekend i was really surprised how well theh ranger wheeled for stock. it kept up with and in some cases outwheeled, on the local terrain, a frineds stock 86 toyota. so i know ts fairly capable. but. teh red truck has a lift, will fit 35s, xcab, but fe small problems like no horn, etc. so i think im gonna hear mostly keep red truck, but is it worth the engine swap i *might* be able to pull of myself?

your buddy must not know how to drive. and make your bro do the swap, he is the one that fucked your runner.
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0