Author Topic: [Project Reeda]yup. engines out  (Read 57352 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: [Project Reeda] aka 1990 4Runner
« Reply #30 on: Jun 23, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »
cranking t-bars is how you do a ghetto/free lift on an IFS rig

If you plan on keeping it somewhat stock for a while, I believe you can use some OME (Old Man Emu) Landcruiser springs to get a pretty good boost in rear hieght and it also addas a bit of firmness. Last time I saw this mod was on I believe yotatech or whatever it is called. Reasearch it a little bit and see what you find.

That rear coil lift and cranking the front t-bars will give you some added height to run larger tires. Ask rocksurfer or maybe jimbo (I know, I know) about how to make IFS work off road. Especially rocksurfer.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #31 on: Jun 23, 2008, 01:58:50 PM »
cranking t-bars is how you do a ghetto/free lift on an IFS rig

If you plan on keeping it somewhat stock for a while, I believe you can use some OME (Old Man Emu) Landcruiser springs to get a pretty good boost in rear hieght and it also addas a bit of firmness. Last time I saw this mod was on I believe yotatech or whatever it is called. Reasearch it a little bit and see what you find.

That rear coil lift and cranking the front t-bars will give you some added height to run larger tires. Ask rocksurfer or maybe jimbo (I know, I know) about how to make IFS work off road. Especially rocksurfer.
yea i know you CAN crank the tbarsi just dont know how to do it...

if i didnt think i was on jimbo's ignore  list id ask him, but he hates me so...yea.i may PM rocksurfer, not a bad idea.

i need to do some reasearch and question, you think i can stuff 33's w/out lift? it looks badass, but idk how much lift they had...
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:08:26 PM »
scratch the landcruiser stuff... that is for newer 4runners

Crank t-bars and OME rear coils should make it tall enough to fit 33x10.50s. From what I have read, 33x12.50s require a lot more work to make fit on the 4runners.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #33 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »
what about 34x9.50's?

jk. ok gotta link as how to go about cranking the tbar?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #34 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
damnit todd, alright, i guess ill search, but its kinda pointless to be a able to fit bigger tires if you lose all/most of your uptravel...

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:18:50 PM »
NCT :headshake: you don't lose very much if you don't crank them all the way... it is IFS, you can't screw it up much more than it already is

here are some t-bar crank/adjustment links

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=398514

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/torsion_bars/

I do not believe you need to upgrade t-bars, but it is your money. I hope these links help.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #36 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »
thanks buddy :gap: ill check em out in a few minutes, i waas just googling about em, and read an article where some DBAG said "One final note: Do not drive one uninsured in the winter. The 4Runner is a stable vehicle, but if it slips on ice, there's a good chance that it will roll. Mine protected me fairly well in my rollover, especially with the Smittybilt bumper. "

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:28:43 PM »
here is a little something on helping travel with cranked t-bars: http://home.4x4wire.com/joe/tech/shock/

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »
Read this, it is about fitting 33s on a 3rd gen truck with minimal lift, all the ifs stuff should still apply to you (there is not a whole lot of info for you, but an interesting read): http://www.brian894x4.com/33INCHTIRES.html

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:34:55 PM »
This whole site has a lot of cool info, not necessarily all helpful to you, but lots of neat stuff none the less: http://www.brian894x4.com/

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #40 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »
yup, i mid-read right now. :thumbs: i think ive stumbled across it before, some of the stuff the dude says is a little off, but mostly its all pretty true.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #41 on: Jun 23, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »
and i wouldnt stuff 33s on a cranked 4runner... youll loose alot of turning radius and it will ruin your fenders when you "flex" it out or wheel with it..... TRUST ME.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jun 23, 2008, 03:00:34 PM »
33x10.50 should be ok though, at least I think so

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #43 on: Jun 23, 2008, 03:05:47 PM »
33x10.50 should be ok though, at least I think so

should be yes... crank the tbars all the way, get some uniballs or megaballs, and get some stiffer rear coils maybe spacers too or go 63s in rear.

uniballs/megaballs are replacements of the stock ball-joints and have a HELL of alot more travel in them, allowing them to travel more up and down.... without binding and breaking or over stressing them. I can get you alot of info from my buddy Kyle who lives in So-Cal and did this on his 86 reg cab. he prerunned that bad boy and did everything he could to the stock setup to make it work the best it could with 2.0 Fox Coilovers.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #44 on: Jun 23, 2008, 03:11:42 PM »
get it if you can please HO, it would be appreciated,

and as you can see, i cleaned up the thread a lot.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #45 on: Jun 23, 2008, 04:51:24 PM »
so what about rear lift coils, could i find longer coils with the same diameter and bolt them up to acheive some lift in the rear? or is it kind of a nono to mix coils like that?

94runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 279
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jun 23, 2008, 05:26:32 PM »
you should just get the complete OME lift. its got new shocks, BJ spacers (so you dont crank your t-bars), HD rear coils and shocks for the back. that'll fit 32x11.5's perfectly and if you crank the t-bars a little more you can fit 33x12.5
1994 4runner: toy axles, 37's, armor,

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jun 23, 2008, 05:27:19 PM »
so what about rear lift coils, could i find longer coils with the same diameter and bolt them up to acheive some lift in the rear? or is it kind of a nono to mix coils like that?

Coils don't have a bolt pattern... they are usually clamped in, or welded in...  Cut the coil crap out, and run some Chevys, or stock 3rd gen leaves in the rear. Get a add-a-leaf, or some small blocks, crank the t-bars. Throw on some 33's and a locker in the rear, and enjoy/wheel the piss outa it.  I ran my truck bone stock with a locker and a bobed bed. NEVER let me down.

PZ

edit:  I also had sliders.  Saved me from ALOT of body damage!
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #48 on: Jun 23, 2008, 06:05:51 PM »
get it if you can please HO, it would be appreciated,

and as you can see, i cleaned up the thread a lot.

add this guy and talk to him.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14232241
he will be able to help you out TREMINDOUSLY!

and id stay away from coil lifting the rear more then 1.5 inchs from stock, with the stock links and panhard, without redoing the setup, as it will reduce travel a lot and put unwanted strain on the setup.

id go with a stock 3rd gen leaf setup with some blocks and shackles or 63s.

as for the front to match either setup, crank the front 1-2in and get 1.5 bj spacers. that should get you 3inch front and back. you want a little more lift in back for the extra weight and for towing.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2008, 06:23:05 PM by that HO kid »
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jun 23, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »
or i could just get a pickup rear axle and save the trouble of grinding all the :pokinit: off and putting new :pokinit: on, i just need to find an IFS truck housing and the nill be good to go, or better yet a complete axle RTR, and then someple simple welding and ill be money. plus then i could weld up the truck axle and have a spare 3rd member, since the 4 pin V6 3rds are a pregnant dog to weld anyways...

and whats the deal on cranking the T-Bars?
You are better off finding a leaf sprung housing, the 4runner rear housing looks like a Christmas tree with all the brackets on it.
You can crank the torsion bars on the front to raise it. It will give you quite a bit harsher ride the more you crank them.
Here is the method http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/torsion_bars/
I am too slow someone else posted it already
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #50 on: Jun 23, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
You are better off finding a leaf sprung housing, the 4runner rear housing looks like a Christmas tree with all the brackets on it.
You can crank the torsion bars on the front to raise it. It will give you quite a bit harsher ride the more you crank them.

I totally agree.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #51 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:34:07 PM »
I totally agree.
yup tha
lts the plan sometime here pretty quick, depends on how the money situation is after the motor swap, of fixing the engine. then once i can get a buildup of cash goin again, ill look into doin it.

Coils don't have a bolt pattern... they are usually clamped in, or welded in...  Cut the coil crap out, and run some Chevys, or stock 3rd gen leaves in the rear. Get a add-a-leaf, or some small blocks, crank the t-bars. Throw on some 33's and a locker in the rear, and enjoy/wheel the piss outa it.  I ran my truck bone stock with a locker and a bobed bed. NEVER let me down.

PZ

edit:  I also had sliders.  Saved me from ALOT of body damage!
what i meant was getting a new set of coils from something else, and the n be ing able to fit them into where the stock coils were, not that they had a bolt pattern to them or anything. :thumbs:

thanks for the posts, ill review them and do some research on different ideas suggested, im looking for as cheap of lift as possible (still safe though) that i can run for a while until i can get the cash for an SAS.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #52 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
ok, that came out seriously gay. its really complicated to fix, but you can pretty much tell what i wrote in there. :thumbs:

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #53 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:36:13 PM »
and also tonight istarted building a spare tire carrier. its going to to mount into the 2" reciever hitch and sit right behind the tailgate, i should have it finished tomorrow and then painted after that.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »
first, before modding it anymore, you need to fix the engine problem

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:38:02 PM »
I gotta see this spare tire carrier... posts lots of pics

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #56 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:42:46 PM »
I gotta see this spare tire carrier... posts lots of pics
meanin what? you wanna see it? or you have no faith in my fab skills?

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:43:12 PM »
X2 on fixing the engine.

Looks like for just over $100 you can snag the right stuff to hang the pickup springs from your runner.

However, the 63"ers are a better idea IMO, since you can use them to match your SAS later, and they will flex to keep up with the bad ass aftermarket springs that are out there now.
PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #58 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:45:16 PM »
X2 on fixing the engine.

Looks like for just over $100 you can snag the right stuff to hang the pickup springs from your runner.

However, the 63"ers are a better idea IMO, since you can use them to match your SAS later, and they will flex to keep up with the bad ass aftermarket springs that are out there now.
PZ
yea yea, im not spendin money on anything else, the tire carrier is built out of scrap i collected at my house. :thumbs:

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:46:52 PM »
meanin what? you wanna see it? or you have no faith in my fab skills?

I wanna see what you came up with! Do you think I am a doubting kind of person? :gap: