Author Topic: Question on rear suspension setup??  (Read 2741 times)

YotaChris

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 274
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Question on rear suspension setup??
« on: Mar 29, 2007, 11:09:25 PM »
Does anyone have any complaints about the buggy leaf rear setup?? I am thinking about doing it to my truck but I have been hearing mixed things about it like unloading of the spring, and too much axle wrap.  :dunno:  :help: I would really appreciate some input! Thanks, Chris
I LOVE MY YOTAS!!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Question on rear suspension setup??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2007, 11:27:05 PM »
the opinions you will get are going to be biased.... some like it some dont.. its preference... and no 2 vehicles will react the same given variables like driver or terrain....

im sure someone will say, they are great i love mine, then someone say i took mine off it sucked, then they will each spout off about how the other is wrong and dont know what they are talking about.....

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

YotaChris [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2007, 11:36:54 PM »
the opinions you will get are going to be biased.... some like it some dont.. its preference... and no 2 vehicles will react the same given variables like driver or terrain....

im sure someone will say, they are great i love mine, then someone say i took mine off it sucked, then they will each spout off about how the other is wrong and dont know what they are talking about.....

:ha_ha: Ya probably, but I wouldn't mind hearing some reasons why they do/don't like it.
I LOVE MY YOTAS!!

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »
build a traction bar and that will take care of the axle wrap. I say go for it, you can always make some sort of clamp that clamps at the end of the buggy leaf so it wont unload on you when just driving around and make the corners a little less scary as well. Then when u get to the trial just unclamp it and your good to go. That is what i was going to do but now i am going to link it.  :twocents: theres only one way to find out if you like it, do it  :biggthumpup:
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2007, 09:09:04 AM »
I decided to set up one on my 83. The problem I had was the shackle will flip down to the spring & the rear spring would hit the frame. Then I would have to get the hi lift out & get the frame high enough to flip it back. For me I didn't like it.  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

YotaChris [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2007, 08:47:26 PM »
Cool, thanks for the Info.  :biggthumpup: If there is anyone else out there with comments about the buggy leaf setup I would like to here some more.
I LOVE MY YOTAS!!

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2007, 09:13:36 AM »
I get enough flex out of the rear end without a buggy leaf.  I personally won't run that setup on any of my rigs.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2007, 09:23:01 AM »
I decided to set up one on my 83. The problem I had was the shackle will flip down to the spring & the rear spring would hit the frame. Then I would have to get the hi lift out & get the frame high enough to flip it back. For me I didn't like it.  :twocents:

That right there is a geometry problem, not a problem with the style of suspension.  If you are looking for a little extra maybe pivot blocks or pivot shackles would be worth a try.  If you go with the buggy leaf be sure you position the leaf properly and use a long enough shackle to keep it from inverting on you.  Also by restraining the max downward travel of the extra leaf will help keep this from happening.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

YotaChris [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »
That right there is a geometry problem, not a problem with the style of suspension.  If you are looking for a little extra maybe pivot blocks or pivot shackles would be worth a try.  If you go with the buggy leaf be sure you position the leaf properly and use a long enough shackle to keep it from inverting on you.  Also by restraining the max downward travel of the extra leaf will help keep this from happening.
Cool, thanks for the tip! :D
I LOVE MY YOTAS!!