Author Topic: Third memeber setup question  (Read 3186 times)

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Third memeber setup question
« on: Jul 18, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »
So I started building my first of two thirds. While in the process, I pressed on the inner bearing “on closes to the ring” which was crazy tight.  I checked the pattern, which was off of course was off. I sanded the pinion a little with some 600 grit, add some shims and pressed the bearing again which was still tight. When taking the bearing off the second time, by bearing separator slipped and popped destroyed the bearing.

To prevent this and make my life easier my plan is to get and extra inner bearing and open the inner diameter up with a die-grinder so it is a slip fit
and not a press fit. Get the correct shim press on a unmodified one and press it on. I have talked to a few people about this and got different responses.

Anyone see a problem with this? Is there really that much difference between two bearings? Koyo bearings that is. Thanks
If you see it, its for sale.

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
Re: Third memeber setup question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »
Got your email Zippo....I usually like to speak from experiences....but I personally have not tried the "set-up bearing" approach. I would think that the variance between KOYO and even other brands would be minimal but it makes sense to stick with a KOYO set up bearing if your final bearing will be a KOYO. By the way, I just noticed that KOYO, which we all think is made in Japan, has a number of different countries stamped on it....I just had a KOYO that was "Made in USA" if that makes any sense :eek:
    Sounds like you might have a Richmond ring and pinion...it might not even be labeled a Richmond but those are the ones that sometimes have a dark oxide coating on the pinion and a little 600~1200 grit with water or wd40 takes it off and lets them press on with normal forces. I'm guessing but I bet you have V6 3rds as there is so little space to grab the thicker bearing without rollers exploding all over the place. A really big bearing separator like the one I use is the ticket. I also have used that $400 fancy bearing puller from Randys on some V6 pinion bearings that were really being stubborn.
    So I say go for it.
           www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear

zippo [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2010, 01:26:46 PM »
It's a 4cl third. ARB 132 with boxed Yukon 5.29's. "That doesn't mean they weren't reboxed". It was covered in a black oxide coating though. I think im going to give it a go.

I was going to get the OTC bearing puller "OTC is the where it is at, i have an OTC jack and some other stuff" But money was tight so i bought a "harbor made in China crap" one.

Thanks ZUK!

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »
Yukons....never know...there wouldn't be a "177" stamped on the ring would there?
           www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »
If anyone knows his gears its zuk. I learned the basics from a friend and then spent hrs reading his site learning more.  Ive set up a bunch of thirds since and either im lucky or doing it right and not one has failed.  However I did take an old pinion bearing and used a drum sander to make it so it would slip on and off by hand but it was snug.   I would read as much as you can at this site before ya do it.  http://www.gearinstalls.com/jake1.htm
Btw I use a small 20T press and bearing separator to get the pinion and carrier bearings off. Havent had an issue of them being to tight tho.

zippo [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »
Holy crap. Im having a hard time finding the inner pinion bearing Toyota wants 90 Bucks for it! Everyone else sells some off brand crap. What brands are good? NAPA sells SFK for 60ish any good? and I found Timkens online for 30ish. Where do you get high quality bearings?

I have to use theTimken conversion bearing anyway because of teh ARB so it's such a waste to buy the setup kit, other then for the shims.

Yukons....never know...there wouldn't be a "177" stamped on the ring would there?
I will check when I get home from work.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2010, 07:11:17 PM »
SKF are good bearings.  Ive never had an issue with them.  90 for a pinion bearing ?  I picked up the large side carrier bearing for an e locker 3rd from toyota for 54 I think it was.  Tho I do remember the normal size carrier bearing was cheaper.  I think for the most part if you set up the 3rd right then the carrier bearing will last. 

zippo [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »

The gear has the following:

Stamped "37X7" "394 S 20"
Printed "YG-T8-529"
Engraved "gL590"

No idea.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:13:59 PM »
Thats an unmarked Yukon gear. Sold by trail gear and ive found them on randy's ring and pinion.  Good gears.

zippo [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:48:56 PM »
Bought this one from Marlin. Manufacturers rebox gears so bad it's a joke...

Also found the Koyo bearings at Randy's Ring and Pinion $22.12 DONE! sweetness
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2010, 11:30:48 PM by zippo »

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2010, 06:58:35 AM »
I just realized its a YG gear not the zg. My bad........This is the numbers off randy's  YG T8-529  which is a yukon gear not repackaged bs. Looks like u got what you asked for.
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1308